The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 14 at 10:22
That should of course read two thousand five hundred rpm
shrek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 14 at 20:54
Hi everyone I need some advise fed up with high reving on motor way and this looks like the way forwood with the audi flip box I have a petrol van converted to a 1.9tdi ahu with a aap box it is a heavy van as converted to camper? My qeustion is do I need to drop the engine more to fit this box I'm on avo 50mm from Brickwerks can I use the 5 speed gear stick set up? I take it the parts I need is the adapter plate drive shaft adapters and gear rod adapter I can make my own gear box mount? And can I use the clutch from the donner it might have duel mass flywheel ?
Also before all that the gear box is coming out of a audi a4 1998 with a afn engine in it with the gearbox numbers wwo 3 012 301 103 p is this a good one to go for and has anyone used this box already and what sort of rpm should I expect from it at motor way speeds. Any help with this would be great
IF ONLY IT WOULD GO RIGHT EVERY TIME ???
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 14 at 09:05
You will need to drop the engine 40mm on the engine cradles. My bus is also running on lower springs. You can use the std bus gear stick to operate the gear linkage at the gear box.

I would recommend the DHL code gear box, as this is one of the std AHU gearbox codes and is well suited to the 90hp engine you have and your heavier bus. It is a little bit shorter in top gear than those fitted to the AFN engine.

Use the duel mass and the starter motor from the car that the gearbox comes from. The golf duel mass has the ring gear on the opposite face of the flywheel and will not work with the new starter motor position of the conversion plate.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
shrek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 14 at 19:10
I have played with the ahu ie a bit more power than normal also I don't like revving the engine allot do you think it will be all right driving like that I take it you could all ways go down a gear if needed?
The other thing long shot the car that it is coming out of the head is cracked do you think I could take the turbo injectors and ecu on to my engine ? Just a thought ?
IF ONLY IT WOULD GO RIGHT EVERY TIME ???
danozeman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danozeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 14 at 13:49
How have people piped up the clutch slave??
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 14 at 14:18
I have an old slave cylinder off a 99 A4, it is metal, not plastic and the brick works flexi hose fits well.

The newer plastic ones have a standard size 4.8mm pipe so you should be able to flare it and fix a flexi to that.

Edited by fufflenarnia - 03 Jan 15 at 18:49
danozeman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danozeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 14 at 18:06
which hose is the brickewerks one
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 14 at 20:42
KMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 02:58
I have gotten some great information from this thread. Can anyone comment on which is preferred, a 15 or 50 degree install?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 11:54
The 50deg is far simpler if you are starting with a factory diesel instal as most parts will swap across from the old engine to the TDI. The 15deg will suit those with time and fabrication skills as many new custom parts will be needed. Engine support bar. Water hoses. Exhaust system. Raising the boot floor another possibility.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
vwmaady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwmaady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 14 at 09:45
Is this kit still available as cant find it on the ultimate-engineering website having just bought a complete passat tdi with an ahu was hoping to use this in my T3 with gearbox flipped

thanks
jeff lawrence View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff lawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 14 at 10:12
Phone Tim. He's still doing the parts.
megabus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megabus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 14 at 22:27
hi all new guy here are there any people with the audi diesel flipped box.in a bay sorry for the three letter word.Any info would be great thanks a lot.
megabus
hanzzz... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanzzz... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 14 at 20:53
Hi Guys! Hans here from Holland, running a 1z attached to a AGT box, but currently prepping my Audi Flipped Box (APL) conversion with one of Tim's kits.
Are all A4 / passat B5 flywheels the same? I need a flywheel and am able to buy one cheap from a AWX code engine (I think late passat B6 tdi). I am having a hard time seeing through the woods of flywheels and box / engine codes...
Thanks,
Hans

Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 14 at 21:02
Hi Hans, I spent ages looking and no they are not the same. Some are for transverse engines, I used one that matched the gearbox as it was the safest bet.

Good luck.

Steve
hanzzz... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanzzz... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 14 at 21:46
Thanks Steve, had a few reads through your thread the last few months, good stuff!
So it'll be expensive i guess.... Are you running a dual mass flywheel? I am a bit scared of doing that...

Edited by hanzzz... - 30 Dec 14 at 21:46
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 14 at 22:25
Yes, I am. They aren't that bad for price, and should last 160,000 km or so. The engine was designed to have one so I decided that was the best approach in the end.
Kent Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 14 at 22:55
Hi Steve how's things? Did you know I broke a dual mass plate in 3000 miles I went single mass after that not as silky smooth though.
Keith

1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 14 at 23:21
Hi Keith, good thanks. No I didn't know that. I assume it was a new one which failed. I think you are putting out a lot more torque than me, even so, that is a concern, my bus is heavier than Yours!
I am playing with fuel tanks, night heaters and then bodywork this winter.....
hanzzz... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanzzz... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 14 at 14:33
That's where I am afraid of... I see shattered dual mass plate pictures everywhere on the net. I have a full camper, pretty heavy, that is probably not going to do good to that flywheel. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and be safe, stuff like that always happens when one is in the algarve cruising with the family and not on the way to the local shop....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>