The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 19 at 12:04
I would suggest that you go to the VW T3 tdi group on Facebook. There is lots of good info available from the members there.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
siddo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 20 at 07:51
Hi there I have recently fitted Audi flipped conversion into my van and seem to have rumbling noises at higher speeds, it sound like driveshaft maybe? My van is lift is it possible that the angle of drive shaft is now to high and causing vibration?
Expo1122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Expo1122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 20 at 07:59
Yes, the problem is the lift. I had the same problems using the go westy 1.5" lift and destroyed both of my new axles after roughly 3000kms. I recently added stock height new springs and new axles and no longer have the vibrations or clicking. 
siddo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 20 at 16:51
Hello again thanks for the response but I have taken my van back to standard height and changed the driveshafts and still get a vibration but only when going round a right hand bend even when the clutch is down. I’m struggling to think what it might be, does anybody have any ideas please ?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 20 at 21:07
It sounds like a bad CV joint. Pull off the drive shafts and see if you have excessive play in any of the joints. Maybe even strip them down and check for damage to the machined faces inside the bearing. You can find videos on this subject on youtube.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
kooch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 20 at 21:56
Hey Tim,
I replied to your email reply, but felt compelled to post much of it here just in case anyone has additional information regarding available options.

I would like to know if it is possible to use your adaptor plate to mount a flipped Audi/VW 4 Wheel Drive/AWD gearbox to an ALH TDi engine mounted in an 86' Westy Syncro, and use the matching rear differential in place of the Syncro front diff (flipped also?) to completely convert the driveline. I do not have a Diesel gearbox and/or bell housing for one nor am I interested in using the normal Vanagon gearbox due to the lack of diesel friendly R/P ratios among other reasons. I currently am ready to purchase the necessary reversed 3.9:1 R/P and other required parts from subarugears.com to convert a Subaru AWD gearbox mated to the ALH in my Syncro plus the Subaru r160 diff mounted in front to replace the Syncro front diff, but given the expense of that conversion I would love to use your adaptor and the other bits...If it will work to do the same with VW/Audi parts. Given the lack of available information regarding full Syncro swaps with your kit I am guessing that this is not a supported install configuration. I look forward to any information that you or anyone else can provide, and sorry for any confusion from my initial email question to you.
Cheers,
Patrick
5 VW's (including Turbo'd PG Westy Weekender Syncro soon to be TDi)
4 BMW's (2002, 320i, 633csi)
2 Porsche's (64' 356 & 67 912 w/2.2L swap)
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 20 at 10:19
perhaps you need to look at Adrian Flints creations on the Samba where he has used flipped parts from a audi 4WD.

Think this is the correct one.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 20 at 11:43
Ref your link above. That is such an interesting conversion. I haven't read it recently, but wonder if he ever finished the reverse rotation 1.9TDI or added the ABS for traction control.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
kooch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 20 at 21:31
I have previously looked at that post about the reverse running 1.8t...pretty cool idea. Also, I know there was talk of engineering a TDi to run backwards, but the problem with that is now you are driving a vehicle with a bunch of SPoF's (Single Points of Failure) that are not easily remedied at your local shop, and even worse 1000 miles away from home on a trip. Obviously there are risks associated with any modification, but I guess that some are just easier to live with. Just such a bummer that for what I want to have, (My Westy, with a TDi driving a gearbox that doesn't make the engine sound like it's going to explode, and isn't so fragile$$, so that I can do the camping and all weather driving I need in the mountainous region where I live) it appears the only real option is the subarugears reversed R/P route. What makes it doubly frustrating is that Subaru exactly copied the Audi gearset design, but they differed in that they have a split case, ala Porsche 901, in which there's enough room in the diff housing (minor clearancing required) to flip the diff...not that they planned on it. While I won't have a G gear or lockers (don't have lockers now anyway), I can install an LSD in both the Rear and Front Diffs which will make up for a lot of that, and I rarely do anything more than very light offroad to get to a campsite with my bus as it is now anyway, so the 3.9 ratio will work awesome with my mildly massaged ALH at low RPM's. It would be fantastic if one of the Racing Gearbox vendors would engineer a case that would allow a flipped Audi/VW diff...AND the reversed Ring and Pinion gears...but alas I digress into a wildly fantastical dreamworld again. REALITY BITES!
Anyway, I will keep following this and many other threads looking for any updates, and I will provide anything that I come across.
Cheers.
5 VW's (including Turbo'd PG Westy Weekender Syncro soon to be TDi)
4 BMW's (2002, 320i, 633csi)
2 Porsche's (64' 356 & 67 912 w/2.2L swap)
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 20 at 10:53
A related question I'll ask here as some may have knowledge on the subject. RE. Different blocks, bellhousings and gearboxes compatibility.
Did the bellhousing bolt pattern for 4 cylinder VW / Audi engines like early 1Z and later ALH match any of the early inline 5 or 6 cylinder VW or Audi engines fitted in the early LTs?
Considering a longitudinally mounted front ALH engine to RWD setup for a project.

Have consider utilising the bellhousing casing from a FWD 02A or 02J gearbox and machining it to fit a RWD gearbox of some sort, possibly through an adaptor plate. That would keep the OEM flywheel clutch release setup pretty much standard with just a clutch friction disc compatible to input splines on whatever gearbox being used.
Have done similar in the past with mating a Rover V8 to a Cosworth T5 gearbox. Used Rover V8 SDI bellhousing with a sandwich plate that mated it to T5 box.

VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 20 at 11:00
Porsche 924 was front engine rear wheel drive. 

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516