The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bouldster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 12 at 21:04
fantastic tim!cant wait to see how you do im sure it will be superb after experiencing your brake upgrades first hand cheers phil
Camping Bazz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camping Bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 12 at 23:11
How easy would this box conversion be if it bolted up to an AAZ, im thinking that you would have to lower the engine to accommodate the high driveshaft angle.
Would love a better ratio box for my AAZ Tongue
zyclamvw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zyclamvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 08:55
Hi
Any news on the progress of the kit?
I'm hanging on with baited breath!
Ta
door hinge pin mod....... whos up for doing it then?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 09:18
Thanks for the interest. I am currently fitting an AFN (110bhp) diesel engine into a bus with the flipped gear box conversion. During the install I will be perfecting some of the fitting hardware. I hope to have the project finished in 1 month.

This gear box option will also work with AAZ with the correct flywheel and clutch from the donor car.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 20:53
I'm looking forward to these being available :)
T5 130 LWB 2.5 TDi - Becoming a camper
T5 Camper Build Blog
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 21:27
Hi Tim

Glad to hear things are still progressing, are you still going to be making a plate available for a 15 deg install as well as the normal 50 deg.

cheers
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 21:41
I have had plates made for 15 deg and 50. The plus side to using the 50 degree is that you can use a lot of std T3 diesel parts for the install, all tried and tested.

With the 15 deg, it will involve making new mounts for engine, an new exhaust from turbo to back box. fittings for back box etc. Not impossible, but just extra work.

Also I think that there is some comfort in using std off the shelf vw parts instead of custom made one offs. If you have to replace a broken off the shelf item, that's easy. If you have to replace a custom made part, that's an ass, when you are a long way from home and maybe don't speak the language.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
jockcampbell View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jockcampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 12:15
hi tim,

Im looking forward to fitting a flipped A4 gearbox into my baywindow which i fitted with an AFN motor 18 months ago,done 6000 miles mated up to a T3 5 speed with no troubles but really want low revs while cruising around the 65 -75 mph.
Will need a 15 degree plate ...... what else will i need ...drive shaft adapters...gear shift .... etc
Your help is really appreciated
ps....what overall length is the audi gearbox ?

Dave
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 22:13
Appreciate where you are coming from Tim ref using std parts, it is a strong argument, I was also looking at it from the other angle as regards to fitting the engine as it is std and leaving the sump, dipstick, turbo drain hose etc as is - all be it I will have to doctor the engine lid.

please keep us all posted as you get nearer completion.
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 08:41
The Audi box is 24 inches or 61cm long (overall length) How does this compare to the space available in a bay window of even a split.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
jockcampbell View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jockcampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 08:56
Thats about 3" shorter than a standard 1600 air cooled gearbox......good news should be plenty of room ,is a 6 speed A4 box also 24" ?
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 12 at 08:00
this is all really interesting ...

i assume another option would be to get a new crown wheel/pinion machined like people have done with scooby box's ? so again it reverse's everything .. but would keep gearbox same position ?

but then you would be stuck with engine in same vertical position as in std passat ? can it be lowered enough to clear rear hatch ?

watching with interest.

Matt
Westy Diary : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk   /   http://www.16vmini.co.uk
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 12 at 13:55
There is no space in the gear box to flip the diff over to the other side.

I think that there is space for 15deg with the engine sat a little lower. Just means that you need to make up new exhaust engine cradle and exhaust fitting system. There may be some hose pipe fitting issues as well.

All can be over come with time and cash.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 12 at 14:01
aye , ok .. if you are going to lean it , you might as well really lean it :) 

Matt
Westy Diary : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk   /   http://www.16vmini.co.uk
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 12 at 14:24
Some more progress photos.

The engine is now fitted although the front gearbox mount is being up graded with the gear linkage that puts all gears into the right order at the stick.

Drive shafts fitted

New engine mount made for right hand side of engine block (the std alloy item does not fit the In line AFN engine block.

Std alloy mount fitted to the left side (near side) of the engine block.

Edited by VW Nerd - 14 Jun 12 at 09:08

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 12 at 16:42
cant see the pictures
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 12 at 17:47
i can...
Dyno Soar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyno Soar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 12:52
Why have all the pictures been deleted?

I think I am going to do this conversion on my SVX powered Bus.

VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 13:06
The pictures have not been deleted.
Is there any moderators that can sort this out?

Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 13:11
pics showing for me Tim.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>