FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 18 at 15:24
Porsche 996 or 997 gearbox is straight fit. Requires 1 lug hole to be moved.
I BOOKED MY TICKET TO HELL ALONG TIME AGO.
Guilar420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guilar420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 18 at 17:16
Would that be a straight fit with out flipping the box?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 18 at 11:12
I would consider that the Porsche 996 gearbox would be a better option for your engine for your 5 or 6 cylinder engine.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Guilar420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guilar420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 18 at 18:25
Hi there I’m doing a 2.7t conversion and was wondering if I use the Audi box and flip how would I go about the breathers and oil level plus linkage? Thnx t
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 18 at 12:06
Thats looking fine.
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 18 at 18:24
Originally posted by Jacobus Jacobus wrote:

Probably the way to go. Should have checked while the box was on the bench. Now it's in/under the bus,. I'll just break my back again :-)

On a side note: I did get the wiring ripped from the donor Golf while being a bit demoted,..

jeebus

https://imgur.com/pPkj0rT

https://imgur.com/RmlpFpZ

got that sorted!

Edited by Jacobus - 25 Jun 18 at 18:26
It _is_ floored
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 22:26
Probably the way to go. Should have checked while the box was on the bench. Now it's in/under the bus,. I'll just break my back again :-)

On a side note: I did get the wiring ripped from the donor Golf while being a bit demoted,..
It _is_ floored
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 15:31
If i'm understanding your problem correctly, - having tightened up your adapter as you have by the sounds of it, remove one allen bolt at a time and file a small flat on the head to give just enough clearance. Once you have done this to all, there shouldn't be a problem.
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:28
Originally posted by andy1300gt andy1300gt wrote:

Did you move the gearbox mount over at the front to the second set of holes?

Yes, from middle (diesel) to the rightside (petrol)..  had a hard time since the threads had never been used and the bus has been coated in a thick layer of bitumen..

The angle isn't the biggest problem,. it's the diameter of the circle of bolts holding the adapterplate,.. they don't allow the CV-joint to touch the face of the adapter.
It _is_ floored
andy1300gt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:22
Did you move the gearbox mount over at the front to the second set of holes?
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:00

Dear all,

I've fitted the engine today!

Yeay.  Gearbox joined with the engine just perfectly, and with all parts from ultimate engineering, things went smooth. I bought the gearbox-front mount, so that was an easy fit, and I had the engine-cradle modified by a fried.

anyhow: only problem I ran in to: The drive shafts.  I got the pair adapters from UE, and the rightside is a perfect fit. On the leftside though, the driveshaft doesn't fit in side the circle of bolts.

I mounted the adapterplate with the original hex bolts from the Audi drive shafts, and I think their heads are just a little bit to big, or the driveshaft/CV-joint is a bit to big?   I had trouble enough since the angle is quite steep, but then I discovered the inner circle of the hex bolts is just to small.

I used the bolts in this picture:

The bus is lowered with the brickwerks lowering kit ( Bilstein B12 / Eibach 40 mm ), the engine cradle mounts are lowered 40mm and 10 mm forward, as specifications for UE's website, and I thinks everything else is still stock JX parts ( driveshafts )

The two driveshaft adapters were marked RIGHT and LEFT.  The right is a thicker adapter, fitted on the right side of the car ( the NON turbo side of the engine)
The LEFT adapter is a lot thinner, fitted on the turbo side of the bus. Because the adapter is thinner, the heads from the bolts stick out, and the CV-joint wont fit..

CV joint should be 100mm, the flanges on the box (TDI Audi) are 130.. ordered the adapters from Tim Shettle.
y
130 - 100 = 30 mm space, diveded by two = 15 mm,. Are the heads thicker than 15mm? probably.. Could I just skim them, or use different bolts? Luckily I ddn't use threadlock on them yet.... (offcourse I allready DID :-) )

Any thoughts? pictures might help too!

Edited by Jacobus - 10 Jun 18 at 21:26
It _is_ floored
Billy82van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy82van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 18 at 19:20
Hi Tim, I've just emailed you as got an engine and box, just need the rest!

Phil
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 17 at 16:45
Originally posted by Jacobus Jacobus wrote:

The dowelholes

Inside the yellow square: Dowel hole is outside of the adapterplate, so no need to recess this hole

Inside the green square:  Big dowel hole (?). This area will be deleted to make room for the starter to fit.

Inside the two red squares: The dowel holes that need recessing.

When using the adapter for the 50 degree installation, Those 2 dowel holes line up with the same size holes in the adapterplate.  I found 'a guy' who will be doing the milling on my gearbox, and I had to sort out which holes need recessing, and how everything will be fitting together, but I couldn't find any example pictures on the internet (or I just don't know where to look).  Installation will probably be childsplay, so nobody bothers to take pictures of it I guess?

Anyhoe: I hope this picture is correct? ( sorted this out on my own, with only the gearbox at hand )

The hole in the green square is used for a 20 degree install.
As you say the dowel in the yellow square is not used.
No matter which dowel holes you need to use, they must be recessed before you remove the 15mm off the front face of the gearbox. The dowel holes are not 15mm deep and their positions will be lost if skim the box first.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
PICKLEBRANTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PICKLEBRANTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 17 at 12:00
Hi

I have a T3 with a 3.9 efi. Is there a Passat gearbox that will be a good candidate? I cannot tilt my engine. Are there adapter plates? I have v8 to standard T3 box but assume that will not work for this. What sort of rpm/mph will be achievable. Currently 2000rpm = 40mph Unhappy
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 17 at 11:09
Any thoughts on breather placement?

The drainplug is located above the diff, and foaming of splashing oil could lead to oil comming out of the gearbox.

I'm not keen on catchtanks or on needing Y hoses to drain catchtanks

I'll be using a pipe:

I've drilled a hole in the gearbox, just outside the diff-section, at the green arrow. Just like a guy in Austria did ( borrowed his pictures, edited them:

There's just enough thickness to drill and tap M12x1,25mm thread. And I will be using the standard plastic cap of the original breather.

It _is_ floored
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 21:34
Second question: Did any of you guys add a hole to be able to markout Top Dead Center (TDC) on the flywheel?
It _is_ floored
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 21:31

The dowelholes

Inside the yellow square: Dowel hole is outside of the adapterplate, so no need to recess this hole

Inside the green square:  Big dowel hole (?). This area will be deleted to make room for the starter to fit.

Inside the two red squares: The dowel holes that need recessing.

When using the adapter for the 50 degree installation, Those 2 dowel holes line up with the same size holes in the adapterplate.  I found 'a guy' who will be doing the milling on my gearbox, and I had to sort out which holes need recessing, and how everything will be fitting together, but I couldn't find any example pictures on the internet (or I just don't know where to look).  Installation will probably be childsplay, so nobody bothers to take pictures of it I guess?

Anyhoe: I hope this picture is correct? ( sorted this out on my own, with only the gearbox at hand )
It _is_ floored
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 17 at 17:34
You can just wire the 012 gearbox sensor(vss) to the ECU vss input. This does work, but I have heard that fitting a pull down resistor into the wiring is the better way to do it.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 17 at 10:09
What you need is a Hall effect sensor-These are available to connect to the OEM position on the back of the speedo housing and then patching to the relevant ECU line.
Go westy sell them and they are available through Campervan culture and also other variants from RJES and also german ebay.

Google images show the fitment but from memory the ECU does not need this sensor for the engine to function-although if it had awareness it may wonder why its running at 3000+ rpm whilst stood still.
obviously you would want this function if running a scan /ultragauge .

alternatively the audi gearbox sensor would be as easy. sorry i dont have ECU pin-outs for the golf but Tim probably has!

Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 17 at 09:18
I did get the Golf AFN engine, but sourced an Audi at the breakers for the gearbox, turbo, flywheel, clutch intercooler and pipework.

Loom will come from the Golf, so the only extra difficulty will be getting the speedsensor on the 012Audi gearbox to work with the Golf ECU.
It _is_ floored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>