The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you strip down a 2 button key fob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Whitworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you strip down a 2 button key fob
    Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 10:08
Hi Folks
 I hve broken the hinge on my 2 button folding key for my 2010 T5
 I have puchased from EBay a replacement blank key but it is very slightly different in that to dismantle the new one you remove a small screw under what woud have a VW badge.
 Now the origional has a smaller plastic badge  and what looks like a pin holding it together which is situated in the reccessed area which the key folds back into. I have been told that all I have to do is push this pin inside and the fob comes apart is this correct . Obviously I do not want to damage the origional getting it apart.
I am hoping to just put the hinge from the new one onto the old one as the van is a lease van, I do not want any problems when I return the van at the end of the contract this way it is completly origional .
Thanks in advance for any help
Mike
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 10:31
Ive never stripped one so dunno
be good if you could put up some pics if you manage to do it ;)
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 10:53
Never attempted this but its worth remembering that the transponder chip for the immobiliser is in the original too and will need chaging over (or reprogrammed if there is already one fitted) otherwise the immobiliser wont recognise the key and the van will refuse to run

Supposedly a delicate item, so be careful

I believe Greg changed his fob (to a Bentley cover IIRC, more for aesthetic reasonsLOL) so he may be able to offer some guidance on the practicalities of doing so

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Mike Whitworth View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Whitworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 17:11
Hi
Re the transponder being delicat this is another reason for just swaping the hing and obviously the key blade , ie no reprograming or key cutting .
BUT I really nead to know how to dismantle it before I attack it with a blow torch/ crow bar or other delicate watchmaker tools Embarrassed. as I stated I have been told that just pushing the pin ( in the recessed part where the blade folds into)into the fob should allow it to dismantle and then having done the swap and retrieved the pin put it back ??????

I am reluctant to prize the badge off to see if there is a screw under it as I am sure it would be destroyed in the process so am hoping someone on the list has done this before me and can advise me !!!!!!!!!!!

PUT simply HELP

Mike
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 19:00
Big hands has meant small delicate devices have never been my friendLOL

Greg is in a different time zone (Australia) but I`m pretty sure if/when he comes on he will be able to offer some guidance

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
john the sparky View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john the sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 20:13
got an altea with 2 button remote, and the badge has fell off.... and there is a screw underneath the badge on that...

fairly sure it is the same with a different badge
Stormkayaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormkayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 20:37
This might help you!

Never been brave enough or needed to undo the screw!

Let us know how you get on!
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 20:52
He's wanting to know how to take apart the original fob and not the replacement one with the screw.

Originally posted by Mick Whitworth Mick Whitworth wrote:

Now the origional has a smaller plastic badge  and what looks like a pin holding it together which is situated in the reccessed area which the key folds back into. I have been told that all I have to do is push this pin inside and the fob comes apart is this correct . Obviously I do not want to damage the origional getting it apart.

There's quite a few "How to" videos on Youtube that may show exactly how ?
john the sparky View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john the sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 21:02
mine is an original key, there used to be a badge with the Seat logo on, that fell off and there is a screw underneath......

well I always assumed it was a proper key, it was a 6month old vag management car when I got itConfused

maybe the keys have changed recently, and the ebay ones are like the older ones?
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Whitworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 22:45
Thanks for all your coments Guys I think it would help if I could put a couple of photos on here
but do not seem able to  so how do I do it .
 and
GREG are you out there YOU seem to be "THE MAN" 
Thanks again guys
I really do appreciate the trouble you are going to
MikeThumbs Up
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Whitworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 22:56
Hi Guys
 Me again I have realised how to add photos but need to make them small file size to work
I will have another in the morning
 Mike
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Whitworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 15:05
Hi Guys
I hope you can see what I mean by the badge being small in the 1st Photo and the pin I have been told to push in is just to the right of the hinge between  DE  and Hella its about 1mm in dia. Hope this helps  some to give me the necessary advice .
Regards to All
Mike
MP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 18:12
If it helps, one of my keys (to a 2010 van) is missing the VW badge and there are no screws beneath it but it has the pin as in your pic above.  Looks like the pin is the only way in… be brave!
Past vans - 1989 Ex-Swedish 16" Syncro & 2010 T5 GP 102
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 21:07
That screw had nothing to do with holding the fob together. All you do is pull it apart holding each side firmly where the split on the outside is . I have just pulled it apart twice nowThumbs Up
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 21:09
Originally posted by gason gason wrote:

That screw had nothing to do with holding the fob together. All you do is pull it apart holding each side firmly where the split on the outside is . I have just pulled it apart twice nowThumbs Up

Is that on a 2010 T5 key without the screw?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 21:13
Looking at your pics it does look like a simple spring loaded plunger so I can't see why you would damage anything.  Your new type fob is quite different and splits in a different way so I don't think you will be able to fit your ebay hinge part to the old fob.
2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 21:24
Just seen Gason's post and his description is right for the older fobs, you can just yank them apart separating the half with the hinge  (which is the half with the screw holding it together) from the chip bit which is the part with the buttons on it.  But Mike's remote is clearly a newer type.  If you look at the part where the pin and little numbers are on his pic there is no split, it's a continuous bit of plastic.

My guess is that if you press that little plunger in, the guts will release leaving the outer shell and hinge in place.  Only a guess though Embarrassed

Edited by T5 TDI - 14 Feb 12 at 21:29
2004 2.5 174
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 21:28
This is for the new 3 button fob but it looks like the same problem...how?!?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 21:37
I wish I had one to experiment on.....  Press pin Mike and see what happens.  You know you want to! Big smile
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Whitworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 21:49
Thanks Guys
 I am away from home now untill thursday I will have a go at it then As Vanorak says
 I will press the pin he's wright I want to Evil Smile
Mike

Watch this space i will let you know what happens
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>