The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT2 engine failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT2 engine failure
    Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 23:10
My mate was driving his 2002 LT 2.5 when he heard a slight metallic sound like something falling off and hitting the road. As they were loaded up with mountain bikes and kit they quickly pulled in to make sure all was secure, left engine running as no warning lights while they checked bungee chords holding bikes on to the bike racks.
Everything was fine so opened bonnet to have a look. He noticed an oil leak. Looked underneath to see a hole in the sump. Confused Engine was still running so he nipped round to switch it off.

Long story but they eventually got home and he got in about stripping off the sump to see what the issue was. Turns out main bearing cap number 2 has fallen off!! Shocked
It looks like the main bearing cap bolts have either sheared or come undone resulting in the cap falling off and a con-rod knocking it out through the sump. Engine has only done 110k and looks like it has never been opened up before.
Grim times as new engine is needed now. Has anyone ever heard of a similar issue with this engine type?

Edited by D&D - 25 Oct 12 at 07:45
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 12 at 11:36
Thought I would bump this again after recently speaking with my mate that owns the above van.
Well it turns out the complete second hand replacement engine they fitted did exactly the same thing! Dropping a main bearing cap. He is a tad Angry.
Nobody else heard of this problem before?

D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 12 at 13:08

I've never heard of it & to happen again is cruel. Only thing I can think of is the injector, did he use the old ones in the replacement engine?
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 12 at 20:25
I just called him and asked a few more questions to be 100% on the facts and it turns out slightly different from what I stated.
They got the replacement engine which was listed as a good running engine and prior to fitting it decided to fit new timing belts. When turning the engine a slight tight spot was felt. They removed the sump and found No2 main bearing cap was lying on top of the oil pickup pipe. The tight spot was caused by the crank counterweight just touching the cap.
So this has happened on two different engines which eliminates any common component causing the fault.
Fortunately the main bearing cap on the replacement engine was undamaged in any critical areas so they just refitted the cap with shell and re-torqued all the main bearing bolts.
So far after several thousand miles all seems ok.

I have been in about all sorts of engines for many years and can only really think this sort of thing would be caused by a failing in the initial assembly procedure. Maybe VW put an apprentice in that was used to working on 4 cylinder engines and was only used to counting to 10 on the main bearing bolts! LOL

D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 09:02

it must have been built on a Friday afternoon Smile
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
 Post Reply Post Reply