The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Am I being taken for a mug?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martincull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I being taken for a mug?
    Posted: 11 Feb 12 at 21:17
It's probably just me, but I've always had a suspicion that main dealers once they've done a job on your vehicle, they fiddle with somethi else so that it goes wrong in due course

My local VW main dealer has been pretty good in the past ... Got me out of the cack with quick and cheap repairs to keep me going.... They even told me to go and buy parts from GSF, bring them to the dealership and they'd fit them, honour warranty and save me money in the process ....... It all seemed wonderful

I even forgave them when a rear wheel fell off after they did my brakes..... It killed the alloy, so they brought me a new set of 4...... Bonus !

Then in the last 3 weeks, a simple wiring problem ( I put a screw through part of the under-van loom fitting ply flooring ) has had the van go back to the workshops 3 times in 3 weeks with pretty major and astoundingly expensive failures .... Aternator......then the loom again.....and now power supply unit ... It's cost just short of 1900 quid so far on what was an almost bullet proof ultra reliable T32

Am I being too suspicious or do they all do this? Run great and then start going wrong in a big way....

Service desk chappy showed me the service sheet for a 2 year old, which was under warranty, and the bill was just short of 7K.......insane!!

Restore my faith and luv in my T32..... Tell it'll all be ok........
If it dont bite, I'll give it a go.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 12 at 21:55
i work at a van repairer (vw) love the way the mechanic always gets accused of tampering with the van and making faults etc...its not the dealer who designs the vans and not "my" fault you thought it worthy to buy, when the t5 came out out i strolled under one and said "looks a bit weak to me", said the same about passat electric rear calipers as well.

T5 is a money pit in my opinion and i think they are uncomfortable and not that great to look at.

any help?

Crafter is even worse by the way!
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 12 at 22:30
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

i work at a van repairer (vw) love the way the mechanic always gets accused of tampering with the van and making faults etc...its not the dealer who designs the vans and not "my" fault you thought it worthy to buy, when the t5 came out out i strolled under one and said "looks a bit weak to me", said the same about passat electric rear calipers as well.

T5 is a money pit in my opinion and i think they are uncomfortable and not that great to look at.

any help?

Crafter is even worse by the way!

I admire your honesty, but is there a better alternative to the T5? (Dont say a T4) I`m genuinely interested

I reckon that all vehicles now are made to a price and some are just better at hiding it than others

And to the OP, I think you`ve just had a bad run of luck, electrics can be super fickle and bear in mind that if that fault caused a spike/surge/dip etc then that will potentially be distributed to every part that also happened to be on/connected at that time (remember theyre all connected to some degree) so even seemingly unrelated components could have recieved damage

I dont think there is a sinister practice of creating faults, or is there Max?Wink

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 12 at 22:57
the faults are plenty...we just sit around having brews and wait for them to appear, i think all modern stuff is blighted by the "plastic" syndrome and im sure there all the same...however simple is more reliable in most cases.

the latest T5s are featuring some incredibly stupid designs and failures allready of EGR coolers etc, mirrors, which tho minor in themselfs are a a massive labour expense...fine when in warranty of course.

its a shame, vw could build the best van out there but choose not too it seems. 

i may come across as a little negative at times im sure...i just miss the old vws that really were built to last, 90 to 95 was the peak i think and the t4 was a really good van back then by any standards, if they made them now i bet they would sell.   
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 12 at 23:54
You have the benefit of seeing them up close and personal, which will quickly show up their strenghts and weaknesses - I see similar in my line of work

Simple is better but engineering and progress has its place - what I detest is elaborate new expensive systems that serve no purpose other than to please the tree hugges (DPF for example)

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 06:37
I can see a lot of T5's being scrapped in the future because after a minorish electrical problem they aren't worth the cost of fixing.  And you can't just grab a bit off a wreck either, it may not be compatible or even if it is it has to be recoded to work in its new home.
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 08:03
There does seem to be a steady flow of them already on e bay,usually 5 cyl versions,with the engine in the back,in bits.
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 14:42
Originally posted by CLONKY CLONKY wrote:

There does seem to be a steady flow of them already on e bay,usually 5 cyl versions,with the engine in the back,in bits.

OOH that'll upset all the 174 owners... [shh most have facelift envy!]
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 15:25
Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

The 5 cylinder engine has been used more variants than just the 174

The 130 is also a 5 pot, as is the older T4 2.4 and 2.5TDI, both of which are widely acclaimed to be some of the best and most reliable vans VW have ever produced (see Maxs previous post for example)

It is also accepted that the smaller 4 pot came about as a result of ever tightening emissions regulation, but before such restrictions existed it seems VW believed the 5 pot was better suited to the application in question (in the higher BHP variants)

This isnt only apparent here, many vehicles have had to downsize to beat the red tape, the M5 is one such casualty, a 5L V10 has now shrunk to a 4.4 V8 with twin turbos

So long as my 174 keeps truckin I`ll keep my cash in my pocket and so resist "facelift envy"Big smile

CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 17:10
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

The 5 cylinder engine has been used more variants than just the 174

The 130 is also a 5 pot, as is the older T4 2.4 and 2.5TDI, both of which are widely acclaimed to be some of the best and most reliable vans VW have ever produced (see Maxs previous post for example)

It is also accepted that the smaller 4 pot came about as a result of ever tightening emissions regulation, but before such restrictions existed it seems VW believed the 5 pot was better suited to the application in question (in the higher BHP variants)

This isnt only apparent here, many vehicles have had to downsize to beat the red tape, the M5 is one such casualty, a 5L V10 has now shrunk to a 4.4 V8 with twin turbos

So long as my 174 keeps truckin I`ll keep my cash in my pocket and so resist "facelift envy"Big smile

By 5 cyl variants, i meant the T5 unit,130 and 174bhp-this is the sort of thing i meant-

The earlier engines referred to appear to be more robust,and bear no resemblance to the T5 unit.I personally think that the emmisions argument was a weak excuse for discontinuing a flawed design-as mentioned elsewhere Hyundai managed to get their engine to meet latest eu requirements.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 19:12
the old 5 pot was long lived..unless the cam belt broke...the new 5 pot is too but has a dicky water pump, oil cooler, and the tappets wear thru..no cam belt tho but does have shit gates couplings instead and they are as bad to replace!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 19:13
anyway..its all common rail now....in theory simple..in fact not
martincull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martincull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 23:10
Just to add insult to injury..... Flywheel and clutch need replacing now
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 10:47
If I had the money now to buy a new replacement for the T5 I'd rather buy an older one and spend the 20k+ on restoring/refurbing & upgrading to top notch standard
Makin sure any weakness' are strengthened an that it handled an drove well
An Id bin as much of the emisions crap I could get away with
but I doubt Ill be seein that kind of money for a wee while :)
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
martincull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martincull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 12:20
a 2.5Tdi T4 might just suit me better right now.... Clutch is holding out on the T5 though, getting very juddery on reversing.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 00:03
Originally posted by martincull martincull wrote:

.... Clutch is holding out on the T5 though, getting very juddery on reversing.

That  might be a DMF on the way out, particularly if it is worse reversing slowly up a slope.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 12 at 22:48
Oh here we go another thread running down the t5 . I don't think its just the T5 is all the modern stuff that costs lots to repair and is overcomplicated .
I have a number of mechanic mates who i know from from my days in the motor trade . many now run their own garages / repair busineses . They all say the same that all modern vehicles are expensive and overcomplicated when they go wrong especially diesels and the t5 is actually better than most of the similar vans they see  . Its also interesting to see what they run for thier own vehicles , Old 1.9 passat and golf are favourite .

The t4 was much simpler but its getting old now and that alone will cost money , we can't all keep driving the old stuff forever , so what do we do ??

max and caddy you do come over as negative , but i know how you feel , as an ex mechanic i hated the new stuff .I served some of my time in peugoet dealer in the 80's and i hate the french shite with a passion to this day . I have a mate still at the pogo dealer and he dispairs at the stuff he sees now . He drives a T4 by the way
 I worked on VW a lot in the mid 90's and it was great stuff and easy to work on  , but very simple compared to today . new stuff was difficult to work on in comparison but it was also because you worked on bunus and dealers didn't give much if any training , so your job just got more difficult for less reward , and you the mechanic often had to foot the bill for new tools required to work on the new stuff . Its just one reason i never use a main dealer for anything.
as for comfort and driving pleasure the T5 is by far the best van i have ever driven and for me is one of the most comfortable vehicles i have ever owned on a long trip .

Edited by kernow - 20 Feb 12 at 22:53
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 01:31
When buying a VW was a no brainer.....

2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 08:42
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

When buying a VW was a no brainer.....

You'd have to be a T5 driver of a certain age to appreciate that fine classic ad my friend, unfortunately I remember it all too well!

Paula Hamilton, still quite tasty today some 25 years on.

Wink

Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 10:17
It's not 2 5 years since that ad came out is it?.....Confused Oh I miss Paula...And the old mecanic fixing the squeeky earrings

They just don't make ads like that anymore.... Even the current Transporter ad shows lots of people sitting doing very little.... Maybe waiting for the RAC man.......Including the RAC man in the ad....

Edited by The Transporter - 21 Feb 12 at 10:19
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>