The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

having trouble closing sliding door

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: having trouble closing sliding door
    Posted: 09 Feb 12 at 11:32
2001 caravelle, central locking. I've been struggleing to get my slider to close, when I shut it, it seems to bounce out again, somehow it doesn't locate. the locking mechanism works ok when i can get it to close. if i almost close it, then give it a good shove from the rear it closes and so far stays closed. it seems to be lined up ok. is this a comon problem, anyone else suffered with similar, if so how/what sorted it? thanks.Mikey
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 12 at 10:39
Have you tried with one of the other doors open?
Mine needs a good shove, but if a door or window is open, then it closes easily.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 12 at 12:12
Check your bottom roller. Chances are its fooked
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

dustyjones View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 12 at 22:29
stupid question, but how will i tell if it's fooked? i've had a look and it seems ok, hard to tell as not sure what i'm looking for. if it is knackered, where's the best place to get a new one and how much?
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 12 at 22:52
Is there any vertical movement in the door ? Has it dropped or doesn't slide easily ?
Quite easy to see/tell if it's fubarred.
Ade at T4's R US will have em at a reasonable price no doubt
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 12 at 23:18
some slight movement, but slides easily. just sort of bounces out even when slammed, as if it's not locating or something not grabbing.
jurasik View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 19:21
I had this very issue a few weeks ago. A liberal soaking of the lock in lithium grease & it now closes & locks easily. I'd try that first.
No Matter where you go, there you are.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 21:29
nice one, will give it a go before i buy a new roller.
jurasik View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 12 at 22:00
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 11:06
they are selling them through ebay for about half that, and t4srus are doing them half price aswell.
did you take the inside door panel off to grease, or do it from the outside, (where did you apply the grease)?
jurasik View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 12 at 13:17
Open the door, go to the rear of the door & you can see the lock mechanism. It is just above the middle runner rail.  Get the straw of the can into the keep area of the lock & give it a good spray. Make sure you lube both above & below the keep.
pea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 15:59
I had this during the recent cold spell.  what little grease that was still on the back lock was frozen enough that the lock was not moving freely.
If you stand at the back of the door and close it gently you can see whether the lock is working or not.  if you spray it with WD40 then remember to re lube it.
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 16:17
Originally posted by pea pea wrote:

if you spray it with WD40 then remember to re lube it.

As he said....don't think WD40 will do any good...it cleans and water-proofs, but as a lubricant or electrical spray, it's useless!! (Also rots plastic parts...beware!)
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 14:01
Update:

After reading this thread, I just went out to clean my "lock" part, and noticed some scratches on it!
Checking the "holder" on the door pillar, I found both screws LOOSE!!!
Tightened and cleaned....now it slides with a gently push and closes Big smile

I used to use my hand on the rear of the glass to give it some help....amazing what you find when you actually lookEmbarrassed
jurasik View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 20:30
Result! fixed it with no cost. Big smile
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 12 at 09:57
Top oneThumbs Up, forgot to post an update, but greasing up the lock mechanism did the trick.
result, no money spent.
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 12 at 18:20
Same problem, two fixes, but results both times.
Makes it worth reading threads even if you think it doesn't apply to you Thumbs Up

Thanks to all that replied.Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply