FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warning lights: ABS & traction control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warning lights: ABS & traction control
    Posted: 06 Feb 17 at 14:16
It would be best to get the codes read.  If it shows a code for a single rear sensor then it will say which one and you can check the wiring before replacing the sensor. 

Re the 12v test- I must say I thought the kind of sensor T5's use didn't have a permanent 12v supply but Mastertech should know and I've never checked mine.  

If you can find someone locally with VCDS it might be worth paying them to scan it for you rather than buying the kit for one job. 

As probably said above, if you also have strange dash behaviour such as a fluctuating fuel fuel gauge or rev counter it's more likely to be the ABS pump ECU.  
2004 2.5 174
Gased View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 17 at 10:02
2009 T5

OK Guys so I have the same problem ABS and Traction Control Light on intermittently....  However over the recent  couple or trips the lights have stayed on. Previously i would drive they would come on, go off after 10 miles etc.

Got under back of van yesterday found the sensor both sides, uplugged and plugged back in, inspected the short exposed bit of cable each side before it disapears into black plastic tube. It looked ok.

Lights still on.

Took my double bench seat out as I have fitted a swivel base, Inspected 4 connector blocks under mat. All dry and look OK, unplugged all 4 connectors and plugged back in.

lights Still on.

Inspected ECU/Pump, looks OK, somebody suggested a light tap on housing, for what its worth did that and a spray of WD40 for good measure.

Lights still on.

I guess its time to get the machine to read codes.....however
I have read some confusing messages as to if there should be 12volts at the sensor plug (rear) when disconnected?? If there is suposed to be then I can easily stick a volt meter on here...would this prove that my cables running back to sensors are OK? .......before I start taking the arch liner out,  internal linning out of the van etc to inspect the loom in greater detail??

HELP... MOT is comming up soon!

Cheers all

Andy

Edited by Gased - 06 Feb 17 at 10:18
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 14 at 21:06
Just a word of reassurance to anyone who might be gulping and lip chewing at the thought of tackling these wiring repair jobs. I did the one under the drivers seat after the usual spurious warning lamps and the alarm going off all night.  The corroded wire is easy to find, it`s so obvious because it`s rotten. I fixed it with a new bit of wire and a quality crimp followed with some decent waterproof tape. Been good and trouble free ever since, must be five years or so ago now.  I took the driver`s seat out to give myself plenty of room to work, not strictly necessary for the budding gynocologists among you, some of you lot could wallpaper the parlour through the letter box. Anyway, if I can do it anyone can.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 14 at 18:08

Looks like its fixed. gave the connections under the seat a wiggle and cleared the code. no more dash warning lights. Going to get some electrical connection cleaner the next time i'm near a maplin and do a proper job.
Would recommend the under the seat check as the first point of call for anyone suffering similar.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 21:09
Originally posted by VW master-tech VW master-tech wrote:

Hi, throwing parts at something will always be expensive way of diagnosis, if you have abs,traction control and handbrake warning lights on then my money would be on the abs control unit, this can be bought seperatley from the pump so a bit cheaper, it can also be fitted by yourself if you have someone with vaspc or vcds it is only held to the pump by three bolts no need to drain the brake fluid.
If the faults are with the rear sensors and they have been subjected to all the water on the road look at the back of the bearing where the sensor is and clean all the road crud off,there are rubber covers that can be fitted to protect the sensors from this.
Another quite common fault is under the passenger seat the abs wires plug in,wires can get damaged as people love to see how much they can squeeze under there.hope that helps but would as suggested get the wheel speeds checked on a diag machine before splashing out that sort of money.

Hi all, been a while.

thought i would resurrect this old thread rather than start a new one, especially as i found the above nugget from VW master-tech.
problem i've got is the ABS and traction control lights on permanetly and the hand brake light flashing.
plugged in the laptop and got two codes,
16502 coolant temp sensor g62 too high (this code cleared)
01130 ABS oeration, ASR front, 008 implausible signal (will not stay cleared)

now, unfortunatly my copy of elsa has decided to stop working so i don't know where to start looking. i have done the obvious of going through the fuses, no issues, and will be having a look under the passenger seat tomorrow.
need some guidance from you guys on where to focus my efforts. 
cheers

its a 05, 1.9, AXC btw

Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 14 at 22:19
Looking good, 20 mile run, no issues. So that was my first real issue in 8 years of owning this from new. Thankfully I put a little trust in the guys and they came good. Indie-Tech in Bletchley. Must also say thanks to ECU testing in Derby too! Clap
Motexion, not cheap plywood!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 14 at 00:04
Originally posted by Dub4life Dub4life wrote:

I pick it up tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes, the garage say its fine! Fingers crossed!

Here's hoping it's fixed Thumbs Up
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 14 at 18:27
So here is my update, the da y it went into the garage the dash went nuts, every light came on, speedo failed,fuel gauge intermittent, warning chimes the lot! Thankfully the technician had experience of this, he was sure the ecu was pooped so we agreed to getting it reconditioned as a new one was ridiculously priced. I sent it off to ecu testing in Derby, they said if it's ok they would only charge £40 to test it, if not then a repair would be £250 inc VAT. They found a faulty ecu and did the fix, they do give a lifetime guarantee and did say that a lot of units come out of VW with faults in them. the garage charged £160 inc VAT. For labour, so £410 to get sorted. I pick it up tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes, the garage say its fine! Fingers crossed!
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 14 at 00:39
In the back end...you gotta tack the arch liner out and unhook the sensor loom from the body...pull out the big wiring grommit...this lets the loom move into the van...the joint is taped in so you need to feel along the wire untill a lump is found then unwrap the stick tape shit and usual a green maggot that was once a crimp is revealed...it's kinda below the back light units..and is where the abs sensor twin core wire is joined o the vans single core loom wires...clear as mud?
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 14 at 21:36
Were does this quality crimp hide Max?

We all know about under the seat for central locking.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 14 at 22:15
Common fault this on t5.. What was the code? Rear wiring loom has a hidden crimp that corrodes and causes " electrical circuit" fault codes...if you have a fully equipped camper it's a bad do but easy on a unlined panel van or multi bus.
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 14 at 22:08
I started this thread way back when.  My 174 is now approaching 8 years owned from new, yikes, how time flies!!

I ended up getting a whole new section of wiring loom to solve the problem which was offered by my local indy as one of two solutions, the first being cheaper but not so long term as it involved cutting into the existing loom and making a repair that may or may not let in water one day.  Touch wood, it's still fine a long time since I had it fixed. 
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 22:17
Originally posted by matty666 matty666 wrote:

hi, a bit of info needed please. i'm on the look out for a vag diagnostic reader. there are soo many out there that trying to find a good one is difficult. can anyone help point me in the right direction.
thanks

Get the proper one with proper cable and support (just get the right version for your van):

VCDS (used to be VAGCOM) from Ross-Tech.

Edited by gregozedobe - 12 Mar 14 at 22:18
matty666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 20:12
hi, a bit of info needed please. i'm on the look out for a vag diagnostic reader. there are soo many out there that trying to find a good one is difficult. can anyone help point me in the right direction.
thanks
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 14 at 13:08
Thanks. The guys have checked all the signals leaving the sensors and say everything seems normal until it gets to the ECU box. I've now found a company in Derby who can do the job for £195+ vat. Fingers crossed! I'll keep you all posted on how this story either evolves or concludes!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 22:10
One possible explanation is the voltage regulator (alternator) has failed and your ECU received a lot more (or less) than the approx 14V it is designed for.  If you are lucky fixing the voltage regulator may solve the problem (and you may need a new battery as well, depending on how long it has been over-charged).  

Another possibility is a bad earth or connection somewhere.

Certainly worth checking out before going down the new ECU route (always look for the easier & cheaper fix first).
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 20:51
Has it had a spike, if the van as been jump started or something similar the extra surge of electricity can do it. Also moisture is a common cause for any electrical component to fail-can you open it up to look inside?
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 20:45
Thanks guys, so it went in and with a few extra issues! I did carry on driving and all was well apart from those pesky lights! Then, the speedo stopped, I thought, ok, speed sensor definitely gone, then the red exclamation light along with the engine management light and low and behold the fuel gauge packed in! The general idea is that the ECU now Kaput. The garage suggest getting it reconditioned, again I'm in their hands really although the lads are all ex main stealer and built the business on this fact that they have great experience to help but at half the cost? Anyone here know of any UK based ECU re conditioners? They have one they use but I'm looking at £480+vat. I could well do without that! Why the hell would an ECU blow??
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 14 at 19:57
Hi, throwing parts at something will always be expensive way of diagnosis, if you have abs,traction control and handbrake warning lights on then my money would be on the abs control unit, this can be bought seperatley from the pump so a bit cheaper, it can also be fitted by yourself if you have someone with vaspc or vcds it is only held to the pump by three bolts no need to drain the brake fluid.
If the faults are with the rear sensors and they have been subjected to all the water on the road look at the back of the bearing where the sensor is and clean all the road crud off,there are rubber covers that can be fitted to protect the sensors from this.
Another quite common fault is under the passenger seat the abs wires plug in,wires can get damaged as people love to see how much they can squeeze under there.hope that helps but would as suggested get the wheel speeds checked on a diag machine before splashing out that sort of money.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 14 at 23:28
Re the live data- Most VW indies will have VCDS.  If they don't, Snap-on etc can do the same on-the-road tests.  Rust on the reluctor rings is normal.  Damage or bits missing can cause trouble.  If it is the pump sometimes they are repairable.  Your place will probably suggest this if the pump is suspect.  
Let us know how it goes. Smile      
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>