The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 engine swap..ABL to 1Z.....help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petefuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 engine swap..ABL to 1Z.....help
    Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 08:53
blew the engine on my 98 T4 (ABL engine code) and could not find a replacement so thought I would relace it with a golf 1.9 tdi lump from a 1996 car that I managed to buy complete......there seems to be a lot more wires as the golf engine has an electric pump and ecu..........has anyone done this conversion as I could do with some serious help with a wiring diagram......many thanks pete

Edited by petefuss - 25 Jan 12 at 11:21
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 09:14
T4 forum.....search for Penbryns wiring guide. There is a sticky for TDi conversions
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 09:37
Is a 1Y not a 1.9d?

petefuss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petefuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 09:42
Hi thanks for that did a search but it may have been deleted....only came up with your post....cheers pete
petefuss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petefuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 09:44
Hi it may be a 1z....definitely tdi as has intercooler and turbo........
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 09:44
Originally posted by petefuss petefuss wrote:

Hi thanks for that did a search but it may have been deleted....only came up with your post....cheers pete

You searched this forum or the T4 forum ?

petefuss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petefuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 10:11
Hi I searched the T4 forum and then all forums.....gonna clean engine and determine exact engine No.........cheers pete
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 10:24
Originally posted by petefuss petefuss wrote:

Hi I searched the T4 forum and then all forums.....gonna clean engine and determine exact engine No.........cheers pete

Try this T4 forum instead then...

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78009

petefuss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petefuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 13:21
Hi thanks for that..........very helpful info.....still quite a daunting job for the conversion.....
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 19:39
dbug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

I Luv Glynwoods I do!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 21:34
Wiring is easy,
only use the engine loom from the golf, it's the 3 large White plugs. When you remove loom from golf it comes out with all front lights too so they need spliting out. Easiest way to split is to lay it out on floor, then work from ecu plug remove anything which don't go to the ecu.

You keep the coolant level wire from the t4 and bin the rest.

Best to use the golf clocks too, just swap them out complete with loom.
dangerousdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerousdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 23:34
Dont know about the wiring,but I fitted a 1Z in mine about 10 months ago running with the abl pump and throttle cable...runs fine and more mpg,will prob do the ecu and stuff one day...........
soon be a new van !
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 15:16
Hi

Not sure if you are still planning on fitting tdi or if you have finished your install.
I have just fitted 1z tdi in place of a blown 1.9 abl motor. The job was quite straight forward although not all of the information seems to come from one source / page.

I fitted a brand new tdi specific throttle pedal and potentiometer to the std TD pedal box. (still available from VW main dealer)
The ecu, I fitted in the engine bay, (to the left of the fan and battery box on the fire wall)
I also needed to add a length of wire from the W terminal of alternator and attach to one of the white plugs that goes to the fuse box. (if not oil light stays on as ECU rpm feed does not suit T4 dash)

I am looking at fitting 2.5 tdi air box as this will allow fitment of the MAF (air flow meter) which won't attach directly to the ABL air box.
I am also looking to find a 2.5 tdi inter cooler from a short nose T4 with intercooler, in the hope that this will work and give a clean factory look to my install. I'm not sure if any one has fitted an intercooler from the 2.5 tdi onto the ABL 1.9 TD pipe work. I have searched for images on google and found no evidence.

Tim.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
dbug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

I Luv Glynwoods I do!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 17:59
If you fit the golf clocks and loom then you don't need to do the loom mod above, they are A little smaller than the t4 clocks but not too much of an eyesore. If you fit a later 2.5 dash surround then you can close the gaps even more.

Would recommend using golf clocks first when conversion done to save fault finding with the wiring, then cut and chase loom later once you have confirmed install is running ok.

A lot of folk that have done the conversion fall foul at the wiring mods that then take a while to trace, whereas the 4 I have done have been very straight forward and have started and run straight away.
dbug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

I Luv Glynwoods I do!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 18:02
You only need the lid off the air box, the base is the same on both engines.

The n75 pipe ( black from memory ) can be left loose in engine bay or just cut a notch into the dirty air side and insert it.

Not tried the 2.5tdi inter cooler mod, always fitted front mount ones behind grill, if you go down that route be careful not to cut the ends off the radiator hangs that come out of the rad. They are hollow and oval difficult to plug and it will cost you a new rad......

Edited by dbug - 21 Feb 12 at 18:05
petefuss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petefuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 17:24
Engine all fitted and running like a dream.........still need to sort out low oil pressure flash but this was a prob with the original ABL........kept golf turbo and fabricated exhaust down pipe....also managed to keep original air intake to turbo and original air box.....fitted the MAF meter inline by cutting up golf and T4 air intakes........the only problem I had was with the immobiliser until I found out I had to replace the key chip, ignition ring and box from the golf.....fitted the original intercooler from the golf with existing pipes plus a couple of solvent weld 38mm waste bends.....works great but is about 50mm below bumper so will look for a sprinter or t4...2.5 tdi cooler......van now actually has acceleration!!!!! and is more economical.....thanks for all the info .........gonna fit one in a T3 next
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 17:49
I bought a new 2..5 inter cooler, fitting brackets and hoses, which I hope 2 fit next week. Not sure if this has been done before.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
 Post Reply Post Reply