The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 headlight relay modification???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 headlight relay modification???
    Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 21:50
Read somewhere that I can improve the headlights by altering some wiring and the headlight relay, anyone know anything about this mod?
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 21:59
Sure I saw something about it on the inside of last nights takeaway box....or was it on here when searching for headlight relay or headlight upgrade
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 21:59
there is no headlight relay... thats the problem.

You can add one...

Simple relay wiring, edit... see below

Edited by Tee3 - 05 Jan 12 at 22:03

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 22:02

i'd do it slightly differently 1 relay for dip, another 2 for the main beams.

Edited by Tee3 - 05 Jan 12 at 22:03

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

club joker 84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 22:16
Do it!  One of the best things I've done to my van.  Add a pair of "Nightbreaker" bulbs for the full effect. A huge improvement over standard Big smile
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 22:26
Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

Sure I saw something about it on the inside of last nights takeaway box....or was it on here when searching for headlight relay or headlight upgrade

Sarcasm is the funniest form of humor!!!!
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 22:28
and humour. Big smile
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 22:47
Also worth mentioning the earths... if youre going to the trouble of fitting relays, split the earths up and earth them to the body near the lights, rather than the standards setup where the spindly little earth wires go all the way back to the earth spider by the fuse box.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

caron666 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M NOT A BIRD, HONEST!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caron666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 22:54
Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

Sarcasm is the funniest form of humor!!!!

I thought sarcasm was the lowest form of wit?

If it's got tits or wheels sooner or later you're going to get problems.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 12 at 23:06
and also the highest form of intelligence.
Red Westie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 01:05
I modded that diagram a little with more detail to suit a twin square lamp T3....I'd probably split the earth and have one each side somewhere behind the lamps. You really only need two relays but I would recommend a 40amp for the full beam (30amp for the dip).

Martin

Edited by Red Westie - 06 Jan 12 at 01:09
shelly
sdelasal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdelasal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 11:51
and where is the best place to mount these relays then and cut into the loom?
steve
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 11:59
Mine are behind the headlights.
I made flying leads to going into the original headlight bulb connector.

You could use a duff bulb to get the connecting spade.

Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 12:31
When I did this mod, I placed the relays into the existing main and high-beam wires coming from the switch. I think they are rated OK, the weakness in the original design is more the switch taking the full load, and the earthing. I cut into the yellow and white wires just behind the relay plate, and used two VW relay holders which snap onto the relay plate. I got 12v from a spare term 30 on the back of the relay plate. I did add separate earth wires for each light, and brought them back inside and onto one of the earthing crowns. This approach keeps everything inside out of the wet, and makes for a neat install IMO.

'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 12:39
That's well tidy that is!

Think I'll have to revisit mine.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 13:19
Maybe I should I add i didn't take the dash just to do this !

It was already out to upgrade the brake servo (thx. Charlie, did it at last !) so it was an ideal chance to sort one or two wiring jobs.

'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 13:56
Off topic - How much of a difference did the servo upgrade make?

Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 14:08
Significant I would say. One thing I did notice though, was there is slightly more drop in the pedal before the brakes bite, compared with stock. At first this concerned me, but I soon got used to it.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 12 at 21:06
Originally posted by syncroandy syncroandy wrote:

When I did this mod, I placed the relays into the existing main and high-beam wires coming from the switch. I think they are rated OK, the weakness in the original design is more the switch taking the full load, and the earthing. I cut into the yellow and white wires just behind the relay plate, and used two VW relay holders which snap onto the relay plate. I got 12v from a spare term 30 on the back of the relay plate. I did add separate earth wires for each light, and brought them back inside and onto one of the earthing crowns. This approach keeps everything inside out of the wet, and makes for a neat install IMO.

Have you found it much of an improvement to the standard set up?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 12 at 08:33
Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

Have you found it much of an improvement to the standard set up?

Yes, it does make a noticeable improvement. I guess it may depend to an extent how worn-out the old switches are (how much voltage-drop they cause). Definitely worth the hours work and a few bits IMO (assuming you have old relays etc. lying about). The later cars I've seen do have relays as std. so VW obviously thought so.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>