The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Oil Consumption

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caerobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Oil Consumption
    Posted: 01 Dec 11 at 21:16
Cry Our 57 plate T5 has started over the last 9 months to regularly use 1 litre of oil every 700 to 800 miles. Is this normal?  Why could it be happening?  Are VW responsible for engines for more than 3 years?

heres the story ....We got it with 16,000 miles n the clock and 16 months of warranty left.  It has now only done 68000 miles and we have looked after it really well (paying for vw services because of the warranty) and have always used the correct oil.   The light first came on in november 2009 in between services and I flagged it up with VW van centre asking them to check it. They said to monitor it but could find nothing wrong. Over time it has got steadily worse. Of course it is now out of warranty and Vw are a bit shy about taking full responsibility.  Firstly they say topping up in this way is within the bands of normality and then they say we will have to have the engine stripped down to find out what the problem is first before they will consider helping out.  At worst they say we could need a new 'short engine' at £3,500!! 

Sorry for the long story, any help/advice gladly received.

thanks  
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 11 at 01:19
AFAIK, 1 litre per 1000km(600 miles) is considered within normal limits over here.So yours is within "spec"

VW should be a bit more accomodating, considering you notified them about it's oil consumption so long ago.

Have you had compression checked?
No leaks anywhere?
Turbo oil seals maybe?
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 11 at 05:38
VW can say whatever they like, including that 1l oil/600 miles is "normal", but most people would regard that as excessive oil consumption and an indication of something wrong with an engine.

Which engine ? 

Is the performance still OK (ie unchanged from when the engine wasn't using excessive oil) ?

Doing a dry then a "wet" compression test can give an indication if the piston rings are worn (and therefore leaking oil into the combustion chamber to be burnt).

IIRC some of the 4 cyl VW TDI engines have a bit of a reputation for using oil (often rings), but they usually use it right from the start.  If it was OK at first, but then suddenly started to use a lot of oil I would look for the cause.  Possibly turbo seals as Rebuild says.

The 5cyl 2.5l VW TDI engine doesn't have such a reputation for using oil unless it leaks out somewhere (turbo, oil cooler, power steering pump). 

Look for lots of oil in the intake plumbing (not just a thick coating, but large puddles of oil) for a turbo leaking oil problem.  This can be dangerous as if the engine starts to run-on on the engine oil it can go into runaway mode where you can't stop it.

If the oil cooler (or its seals) leak your pink coolant will go black/grey from engine oil.

If the p/s pump leaks the p/s fluid is black/grey instead of the normal clearish pale green.  The steering is usually a bit odd with vibrations on lock etc.

Edited by gregozedobe - 02 Dec 11 at 05:42
caerobin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caerobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 11 at 18:22
Smile Thanks for your help.  

I have asked them to check engine but dont know if they have done a compression test and the other things you have recommended so so your advice will mean I can check more thoroughly. I will speak directly to the tech guys with more knowledge.  so thanks.

The engine is a 1.9 td 102ps so praps it will be turbo rings.  Do they need to strip the engine down to do compression checks? as this is what they are saying they will need to next.  (I can imagine that the other checks ( intake plumbing etc) can be done visually. ) The results of this will determine how helpful vw will be.   I pay £500 up front for this procedure. 

Thanks again.   

caerobin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caerobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 11 at 18:30
Smile Thanks .   Is it said to be normal consumption, do you know loads of people who do refill? Could it be aussie heat?  

I will ask the tech guys if they have done compression test and ask about turbo rings/  How easy is it go get to turbo rings? They are talking about stripping engine down at £500 to find problem? 

To be fair to vw it will sub me 30% of 3500 if it comes to 'short engine' change. Still loads though like you say I did flag it up well before.  However i have to pay the £500 for strip down first.

cheers I am having to learn fast. 

triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 11 at 18:46
A gallon of oil every 3k miles surely thats not acceptable, still i suppose you will never need to worry about changing the oil with so much lovely and expensive oil being used at that rate.
By the way my 2.5 uses no oil at all between oil changes.

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 11 at 00:57
Using lots of oil isn't the norm, but it seems VW 4 cyl engines do use more than average.  I don't think it is anything to do with Oz heat. 

One thing that can catch people out is that engines that do lots of short runs can have a build up of condensates in the engine oil, which disguises an engine that is actually burning a fair bit of oil.  Then when they go for a good run on the hwy (where the engine gets properly hot for 30 minutes or more) these condensates are boiled off, leaving the oil level low and the owner thinking their engine is suddenly using a lot of oil.  It hasn't, but now they notice it (especially if the oil warning light comes on).

The missing oil has to be going somewhere, so unless it is dripping on the ground (or engine undercover), or is somewhere else in the engine bay/underneath the van then it must be being burnt off.

Again I ask, is the performance of the engine unchanged ?  No funny idling, hesitations, excess smoke etc ?  How about fuel consumption ?  Any other issues, or is it only excessive oil consumption ?

A straight compression test can be done with the engine in situ, but it isn't as easy as on a petrol engine as there aren't any spark plugs with easy access.

I'd be tempted to get a written report from a good independent mechanic.  It might save you quite a bit of money, as it could be that your dealer is softening you up to pay for a complete new engine.  Kmowledge is power in these situations.

First look at how much oil is in the intake after the turbo (possibly intercooler), if there is loads (big puddles) of oil then the turbo seals are the prime suspect.  Note that there is normally a fair bit of oil in the intake tract of VW TDI engines.

Then a dry followed by a wet(engine oil) compression test.  If it is a bit down dry but improves when oil is added that usually indicates a problem with the piston rings.

Having both of these tests done should cost you way less than £500, and you will have independent corroboration of what might be wrong.  IMO this is what your dealer should have suggested to you .

caveat: I am not a qualified motor mechanic and this advice has been provided free of charge, so the usual "all care, no responsibility" principle applies.
caerobin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caerobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 12:24
I phoned them back and no they had nt done a compression test, just a visual one.  I think they are still trying to believe that the oil consumption is normal.   A compression test they said would be cheaper than £500 (£120) and wouldnt involve striping the engine down so we have made progress!!!.  Its seems that they could well be softening me up as you say.  Your advice about getting a good independent second corroboration would be useful in these circs. 

We haven't noticed much change in performance except that changes in circumstance in last 9 months has meant smaller journeys and probably poorer milage. The only recent temporary recent change (which has strangely stopped in the last few weeks)   has been starting up.  It wasnt catching on from 'cold' start up. We would let the coil light go out once or twice but it would still take a number of attempts to start.  We thought it might be that we park up hill on a really steep road overnight and then were just about to test it out by parkin the other way when it has stopped happening?  Its not the cold because it has been really warm and now it is actually colder and it is working! I wondered if this was just a blip or could it be the turbo seals? 

Thanks again for your time and advice.  

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 13:28
Hmmm, it might be worth asking for a detailed list of what was actually done in this particular "visual test".  It could mean that they lifted the bonnet, looked for 10 seconds and concluded that "Yes, there definitely is an engine there."  Hardly a convincing  basis for advising you that you might need a complete engine replacement, is it ?

The only way turbo seals could make any difference to starting is if the normal fuel supply wasn't working properly (not uncommon on T5s) in which case the extra fuel (ie engine oil) from the leaking sealsmight make it a bit easier to start.  

Below 1,000 revs the turbo isn't spinning fast enough to provide an extra air (boost), so at start-up the turbo is effectively doing nothing.

Because you flagged the oil consumption issue with your dealer while your van was still covered by warranty it is possible VW may be more accomodating than usual re a "good will contribution" if you are able to prove there is actually something wrong causing the "normal rate of oil consumption" your engine is suffering from.  But your dealer may need careful guidance from you for this to happen, so maintain a good relationship if at all possible.

As far as hard starting goes do an advanced search with "Any date" specified and you will find several relevant threads.  IIRC the various fuel pumps are a common cause when starting isn't worse in colder weather.

Edited by gregozedobe - 05 Dec 11 at 13:34
snowkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 12 at 22:10
hi guys,
          i have a similar problem with my 2.5 engine...getting thro 1litre every 350 miles or so...
i need to do some checks,i was wondering how the power steering flid and engine oil get to miss..
mine runs and drives fine,with no signs of smoke or leakage ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
caerobin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caerobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 12 at 12:38
hi,
problem still on going. now only doing 450 miles before oil change!!  
 Post Reply Post Reply