The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eyebrow Spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eyebrow Spoiler
    Posted: 07 Nov 11 at 15:39
I've used the [search] function and get nothing within the last 6months or a time-out if I try further back.

Is there a how-to guide, or notes/post on fitting an eyebrow spoiler? I'm against the velcro idea I've heard about and I'm not keen on mastic/flex* as I just know I'll have to change a bulb after caking everything in the stuff Cry
I'm thinking maybe 4 flush-ish self tappers BUT I son't really want them visible form the front like pop-studs... only thing is if I screw them from around the top and sides of the grille, I won't be able to get to them with the grille fitted!!
Someone must have a good, neat solultion? If the spoiler is permantly bonded on, what 's the trick with the bent screw driver to reach the grille pins?

I'm having a couple of bits painted so want to use the opportunity to get the spoiler finaly fitted.

Thanks for any help

*WTF's a ' Single cab pick upflex '
??

Edited by chris7ian - 07 Nov 11 at 16:04
cruz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 11 at 17:21
Only one I have seen had two tiny self tappers in the sides which were painted the same colour as the grill spoiler

Edited by cruz - 07 Nov 11 at 17:21
Griff71 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Griff71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 11 at 21:01
Mine is screwed in along the top (4 screws) and not really visible from front of van.  If you ever need to get grille off you can undo quick releases using side of a large flat blade screw driver.  Fitting back is easy as you just line the pegs up and press on.  

Saying that i have now drilled 3 small holes in the front of my grille now as it's just easier to undo the quick releases.  I have just done a headlamp upgrade so you can find pics on here under 'Maestro lights' to see what it looks like.
89 Doka (EJ25 conversion)Sold
71 Bug (1955cc twin 40s)
65 Ragtop Bug (Mrs Griff)
98 Subaru Legacy GTB (330hp)
06 VW T5 1.9tdi T28
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 11 at 21:42
Single cab pick up is s.i.k.a.f.l.e.x the swear filter changes it.

for my money three small screws across the top.

refit grill with cranked screwdriver
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

gusbang View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gusbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 15:27
I know you say you are against velco, but why?

I fitted mine with heavy duty velcro, really easy to do, I glued the velcro to the grill and back of the spoiler as I didn't trust the sticky back and its going nowhere, hard to get off!
T3 Doka 2.1MV
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 16:20
Originally posted by gusbang gusbang wrote:

I fitted mine with heavy duty velcro, really easy to do, I glued the velcro to the grill and back of the spoiler as I didn't trust the sticky back and its going nowhere, hard to get off!

It's just a bit ghetto rig for my liking Embarrassed
(even self tappers into plastic are on my list of dislikes; I'd prefer a nut and bolt or selftapper+U clip)

At the weekend I'll have a look at the solutions mentioned above - cheers all
gusbang View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gusbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 17:55
Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

Originally posted by gusbang gusbang wrote:

It's just a bit ghetto rig for my liking Embarrassed
(even self tappers into plastic are on my list of dislikes; I'd prefer a nut and bolt or selftapper+U clip)

At the weekend I'll have a look at the solutions mentioned above - cheers all

I take exception to thatAngry.

Only jesting, you are probably right but works wellLOL.
T3 Doka 2.1MV
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 18:26
Haha! I said 'a bit' and 'for my liking' Hug

Edited by chris7ian - 08 Nov 11 at 18:26
Griff71 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griff71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 23:21
Pardon me for seeming stupid but how else would you attach something to your car other than weld/bond/bolt or screw.  Velcro seems seriously 'yee hah!' to me and no chance of velcro holding something to my van.  I suppose if you are running a stock motor you may not see speeds over 60mph so you stand a chance of hanging on to your velcro'd bodywork.Tongue

Sticky pads may hold it for a while but eventually i am sure your going to lose it when they go soggy in the rain, probably at speed on a motorway.  Real safe.

Nut & bolt, yeah if you want to make life difficult and take a weekend to change a bulb.  

I suppose you could bond/glue it but this could cause issues if you ever need to remove it.

Surely 4 self tappers across the top and go worry about something else.  

Here is mine.  No fixings visible and previously attached to my round light grill covered 80k.

You will notice it's a deep one to.  As i mention before the quick releases are undone with ease using the side of a flat blade screw driver, you don't need to access these to clip the grill back on.  Been doing this for years no issue.  
Confused
71 Bug (1955cc twin 40s)
06 VW T5 1.9tdi T28
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 11 at 11:14
Originally posted by Griff71 Griff71 wrote:

Pardon me for seeming stupid but how else would you attach something to your car other than weld/bond/bolt or screw...

...Nut & bolt, yeah if you want to make life difficult and take a weekend to change a bulb.  

I suppose you could bond/glue it but this could cause issues if you ever need to remove it.

Here is mine.  No fixings visible and previously attached to my round light grill covered 80k.

You will notice it's a deep one to.  As i mention before the quick releases are undone with ease using the side of a flat blade screw driver, you don't need to access these to clip the grill back on.  Been doing this for years no issue.  
Confused

This is what I'm trying to fathom out!! I've nothing against self tappers (or bonding) IF the spoiler's not constantly being removed and refitted for bulb replacement etc.
When you say "quick realeses" do you mean the stock set-up?
I guess I need to have a look at one fitted... hopefully someone will have one at Slough Swapmeet this weekend
Griff71 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griff71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 11 at 12:09
 Yep- by quick releases i mean the stock half turn screws that hold the grill in place.  You need to turn these to remove the grill.  (what about glueing some tags to these so you can turn them by hand without a screw driver?).  However to refit grill turn them by hand to the closed/locked position and grille will snap back in without having to touch the half turn screws. 

Realistically how often are you likely to change a bulb i have done 1 in 5 years. Have changed lights last weekend from rounds though (see pic).

Hope you get it sorted.
71 Bug (1955cc twin 40s)
06 VW T5 1.9tdi T28
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 11 at 13:00
It doesn't need to be easy to take the grille off - it just needs to be 'possible' but secure. And as far as how often I change a bulb (you don't know the half of it!!) I didn't want to be damaging anything by the roadside late one night as in my experience that's when they tend to fail!!

I dind't realise the release pins could be accessed so reeadily with the spoiler in place else I'd never have posted the thread! LOL

Thanks all
gusbang View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gusbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 11 at 21:05
Originally posted by Griff71 Griff71 wrote:

Pardon me for seeming stupid but how else would you attach something to your car other than weld/bond/bolt or screw.  Velcro seems seriously 'yee hah!' to me and no chance of velcro holding something to my van.  I suppose if you are running a stock motor you may not see speeds over 60mph so you stand a chance of hanging on to your velcro'd bodywork.Tongue

Sticky pads may hold it for a while but eventually i am sure your going to lose it when they go soggy in the rain, probably at speed on a motorway.  Real safe.

Nut & bolt, yeah if you want to make life difficult and take a weekend to change a bulb.  

Confused

It's not as though it's a metal body panel or a door
I can see why you say that but in the end it's a small piece of lightweight fibreglass. Like I said I used heavy duty Velcro, trust me it's going nowhere
T3 Doka 2.1MV
cruz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 11 at 21:52
Any chance of a photo without the fuzz filter? Wink
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 15:52
I have 4 small self tappers across the top so they are hidden when grill is fitted to the van.  I have also removed the two most outer grill securing clips/screws.  you can just get at the two middle ones at an angle.  The grill is still nice and secure.
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 17:09
I discovered somthing whilst looking at fitted eyebrow spoilers at Slough: there are different sizes, and I don't mean the 'bad boy/strong boy'. I mean the small, straight type.

Mine is from rohenn-bull in Germany and comes down as far as the headlight glass and badge, and has a smooth gelcoat finish, whereas a few I saw are a bit 'rougher' and only reach down just beyond the grille screws - I think this is why some people can access the screws with a bent screwdriver?

Some of the pics I've googled show the grille have being screwed on to the vehicle through the lower lip after the spoiler was bonded on... I think I'd rather have the screws visible holding the spoiler! Either that, or small access holes drilled through to reach the clips Confused

Edited by chris7ian - 14 Nov 11 at 17:10
gusbang View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gusbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 11 at 19:18
Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

I discovered somthing whilst looking at fitted eyebrow spoilers at Slough: there are different sizes, and I don't mean the 'bad boy/strong boy'. I mean the small, straight type.

Mine is from rohenn-bull in Germany and comes down as far as the headlight glass and badge, and has a smooth gelcoat finish, whereas a few I saw are a bit 'rougher' and only reach down just beyond the grille screws - I think this is why some people can access the screws with a bent screwdriver?

Some of the pics I've googled show the grille have being screwed on to the vehicle through the lower lip after the spoiler was bonded on... I think I'd rather have the screws visible holding the spoiler! Either that, or small access holes drilled through to reach the clips Confused

Or use velcroLOL.

Mine is from rhoen bullBig smile.
T3 Doka 2.1MV
 Post Reply Post Reply