The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 130 boost leak HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 130 boost leak HELP
    Posted: 31 Oct 11 at 23:08
I'm after some help please, my 2.5 130 has always been a decent pulling van until recently when I started to hear a boost leak noise between 1-2k rpm, after 2k it seems to disappear, but the van isn't pulling as well as it used to sadly

I have checked the boost hoses and they seem to fit snugly enough with only some slight movement so now I'm stumped

I do have a cracked manifold, but I have a replacement lined up and intend to recon the turbo whilst I'm at it, but currently I need to get to the bottom of this leak

Anyone have any pointers or suggestions as to what may be causing it?
T28 130 SWB Trendline, in green.
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 11 at 00:05
No point even thinking about it until you get the cracked manifold dealt with.

T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 11 at 00:26
Might be worth having another look at the intake/intercooler pipework (after the turbo) ?  I had a connection come partially loose somewhere on mine, it was gutless below 2,000rpm with a funny whirring noise. Dealer put the pipe back in (my van is still covered by warranty), all fixed.

Edited by gregozedobe - 01 Nov 11 at 00:30
Martin 335d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 11 at 07:44
Cheers guys my mate is going to have a look at it this week, the cracked manifold has been present for the past 30k so I can't see it being that.
Dave. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 11 at 13:07
Intercooler itself might be damaged ,or developed a crack 
2006 2.5 130 T32 LWB panel Van BNZ 6 Speed
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 11 at 19:14
How would you describe the boost leak noise?  Is it like a whistle or more of a hiss that builds as boost increases?    
2004 2.5 174
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 11 at 22:46
I noticed a marked loss of power when I had the "Screech"..... It was a kippered manifold. Funny thing was, bearing in mind the state that my manifold was in it was only intermittent at certain revs.... The flange that connects the manifold to the turbo was completely detached 
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 13:39
It's neither A screech nor a whistle, more just a hissing noise that disappears after 2k RPM?

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 17:36
As I understand it the turbo doesnt make boost until 2K RPM and I would expect any leaks on the boosted side to be more noticeable then

I had symptoms similar to yours and it turned out to be a fecked manifold - perhaps your unrepaired manifold has gotten worse?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 20:10

Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

How would you describe the boost leak noise?  Is it like a whistle or more of a hiss that builds as boost increases?    

Your description puts it firmly as leak of air after it's been compressed by the turbo.  And not an exhaust manifold leak or the exhaust manifold-to-turbo joint leaking like mine.  So it's as above really.  I'd start with a really careful look around those large hoses for splits and go on to the intercooler later.  
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 20:33
Cheers guys, it certainly doesn't sound like Pre compressed air, which is why I'm thinking it's not the manifold, I'll get my mate at VW to have a look at it this week, if it's the intercooler, happy days as that's a "reliatively" straightforward fix, but I've looked at it through the bumper and can't see anything up with it.

Bloody van, it's been great up until a few months ago and it's starting to be a bit of a nightmare
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 11 at 00:33
I'm really intrigued by this post as I experience the very same issues/hiss below 2000rpm, seemingly worse now that the weather has become colder. I'm fairly convinced this is a manifold to turbo leak issue (gap increases with colder temps?), however, I wait in anticipation to see what your mate thinks. 
2004 LWB 2.5 AXD 130hp, K&N Filter, Allard EGR Pipe and Oil Breather Tank....
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 11 at 12:11
Have a look at the connection from the manifold to EGR valve. An air leak here will make that squeal until the turbo kicks in. How do I know? Mine was doing it until one day it snapped off. Was getting so much black smoke out the back until I sealed it up. Take the pipe off as I couldn't see the crack in it (was on the under side).

Worth a punt.
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 11 at 15:14
Liquid freak you may be on to something there, as the van has started getting a bit smelly inside of fumes and it's around the same time that the boost leak noise started
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 11 at 16:56
The fumes inside are probably from the exhaust manifold blow especially if it's worse first thing.  My money is on a split hose or hose seal.  Or failing that a split intercooler. Smile
2004 2.5 174
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 11 at 13:10
Just so you know, I have my EGR blanked off at the manifold end and therefore no EGR transfer pipe from which leaks could emerge, but still suffer similar symptoms. Now I'm suspecting a leaking pipe/intercooler as well as a dodge manifold turbo joint i.e. manifold for the smell and pipe for the hiss. Problem is I've asked in a couple of garages if they could do a pressure test and they all look at me as if I asked them something outrageous. Surely can't be that difficult?
danny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 11 at 22:34
Check the maifold in the dark with a torch by stalling it with the valve at the end of the egr and see if it getting worse mine was leaking for a while but gut a lot worse with time. Now got a new manifold and now leaking from manifold turbo connection fucking van!
Good luck
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 11 at 13:44
I think the turbo does boost below 2000rpm, mildly though?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 11 at 09:54
^^^ Mine (174) starts boosting a little bit at 1,400, gets interested about 1,600 and is full steam ahead by 1,800rpm.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 11 at 13:46
Your right there my van is the same, but as it gets onto full boost the noise disappears but will come back if the van is under load, I'm going to have to get a proper look at it, and if necessary get the manifold and turbo done
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>