The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonandsarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue smoke
    Posted: 22 Oct 11 at 19:19
1999 T4 1.9TD ABL engine with 240,000 miles on the clock.
Uses no oil/water between services, runs well, excellent fuel economy (650 miles plus per tank) and sticks at 70 on the motorway hour after hour.
Only problem I have is that recently when starting from cold there is a lot of blue smoke and she runs rough for a minute or two (glow plugs changed at 185,000 miles but she fires straight away once the glow plug light is extinguished so think they are OK).

This can be remedied by using the cold start handle but I never used to have to do this so suggestions as to the cause would be welcomed. Once warm there is no smoke on start up even after a rest of several hours. The problem was evident even during the high temperatures of our Oz trip when the mornings were very warm - follow link below to a blog of the trip.

Oil plus oil, air and fuel filters all changed regularly - one suggestion was the crank case breather on the rocker cover - is there a filter in that circular cap that could be clogged?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

sastt
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 11 at 21:08
Sounds like you got a glow plug gone ,they will start easy enough with three but will misfire for a bit especially on tick over and it will smoke a bit until the missfier stops as it gets warm ,there is also a possibility that the turbo might be on its way out but I would look at the glow plugs first
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 11 at 21:10
i agree, if the glow plugs are overtighened when fitted they fail very quickly...and cheapy ones are are a bit pap as well.
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 11 at 22:44
Probably not all of them, maybe 1 or 2. I had to change them twice in the time i ran a T4 ABL.
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
simonandsarah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonandsarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 11 at 16:00
Thanks for the advice - guess its time to look at the glow plugs - harder to reach (any tips) but cheaper than a new turbo.
Any idea why using the cold start handle solves the problem ie no smoke and smooth tickover as I would have thought that overfuelling would produce more or smoke or am I too used to the vagaries of petrol engines.
Also any thoughts on the crankcase breather on the rocker cover - can it be cleaned out - there was a small film of oil in the pipe leading to the air intake pipe.
Final point (for now!) - on top of the fuel filter is a small white plastic control valve - I presume the arrow should point towards the fuel pump? According to a manual this ensures that below 15C flow to the filter is open and above 31C it is closed - what happens between these figures and what is the purpose?
Thanks again.
www.sastt.blogspot.com 

sastt
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 11 at 00:59
It was the same on mine with bad glowplugs, the richer mixture seems to smooth things out until the engine gets up to temp. My bus (Bristol) has a Gardner engine and that only has the excess full mechanism for cold starts.
The ABL glow plugs are a pig to do. You have to be quite careful not to damage the buzzbar linking them all when tightening up the little bolts (which are very easy to drop down between the injector pump and the block). This little bolts are really hard to get back on.
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
 Post Reply Post Reply