The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converting my LT to run on LPG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Josh n Bee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh n Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 13 at 21:24
Hi all, had the van converted to LPG by Tubbs in Tenbury Wells and drove 400 miles on it straight off which went well! Had an issue with power when braking at roundabouts etc, took it back to him and he fiddle which made the problem better but not perfect. He thinks it is something called the ram effect which is to do with the way the air filter takes in air and should be easy to fix. Doing that tomorrow. Has anyone had this issues with their LT? I found that braking heavily led to battery and oil lights flashing and it seemed as if no power was getting through. Anyone had issues with something called the ram effect? My question to all you knowledgeable people is what can I do to set the engine up for optimal efficiency on gas? I read somewhere that colder plugs helped but is there anything else? I reckon we got around 17 mpg with mostly motorway driving on the way up. Can I improve this at all? We have two 45l tanks slung underneath running just under the side door and the other one opposite if anyone is interested. How did you get your tanks in?

Elsie, VW LT 31 2.4l. 1987
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 22:41
The_blue; a bit of information on ignition advance and LPG here.

Josh n Bee; with a basic single point gas system you can start on LPG if you wish, although there is no enrichment (but it needs less than petrol) and no increase in idle speed so maybe be easier to start on petrol. Would certainly be a good idea to use the petrol system occasionally to prevent gumming up, but I ran on gas for as long as possible.

Now I have a gas injection system (not on the LT) I have to run on petrol for a few minutes, but that's another story.

Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Josh n Bee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh n Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 16:17
Hi AndyT, I notice you say you start on LPG all year round whereas others say that I should start on Petrol then go over to LPG. Why the difference of opinion?
Elsie, VW LT 31 2.4l. 1987
The_blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 16:00
Hi guys, I read various forums and see the the T3 guys change engine timing for LPG. 

Is that needed on an LT? (2litre)

Mines having a new exhaust tomorrow so i'm having a lambda boss fitted to convert to closed loop :) 
Moving to Team Talbot :O
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 18:46
Really is a no brainer, lots of places that will convert your van for a grand.
Parts plus safety test can save you around £250, if you have the skills etc.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 17:21
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

How much do you spend on petrol a month? If payback time for a system is only a matter of months, then it might make sense bunging it on a credit card...

I worked out that you save around £1000 for every 6000 miles you do. No brainer if your keeping the van for a while.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 14:00
I assumed the 1995 LTs had a catalyst...if not (were vans exempt from the ~1993 cat introduction?) then yes, you want a basic open loop system unless you weld a boss in the exhaust for a lambda sensor.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 13:16
No good for an LT mate - no electronics to connect to.
Got the same system on my Range Rover V8.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

frenchy82 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 11:09
Nothing at the minute as I'm still attempting to renovate it to it's former glory! LOL
1995 LT 28 2.4L petrol mini bus
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 10:50
How much do you spend on petrol a month? If payback time for a system is only a matter of months, then it might make sense bunging it on a credit card...
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 10:02
Single point closed loop systems can be had for little money these days anyway..
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
frenchy82 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 09:58
Thanks for the advice Mat, think new is probably the way to go, just can't afford a new system at the min. 

Also, after searching around on forums it looks as though spares may be hard to come by so I'm going to give it a miss.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 09:33
Depends whether the tank will fit your van. It's unlikely the mixer will, so budget for a new one, and if the tank is over 10 years old and your insurance requires a UKLPG inspection (some don't), it will fail. Also, is it working now? If not why - some spares for older systems can be hard to get hold of.

I'd be inclined to go for new if it's your first install, that way everything should work and you'll have tech support from the supplier rather than you wondering whether it's a fault with the kit or a mistake made during installation...

Is the kit from a 1985 Nissan Leopard by any chance?
frenchy82 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 08:59
I've seen this advertised locally, has anyone got an opinion on whether it's worth getting and would fit an lt28 2.4?

L.p.g kit . £85 (bargain)
All the bits you will need to set it up apart from some lpg pipe and connectors.
These closed loop single point systems cost hundreds new.
Grab a bargain and save a tonn on fuel
Selling because we are moving to bristol and dont want to take it with me .

I had it fitted to a 3lt v6 nissan
Its a lanzi renzo . Lambda control system / 2
It has a bit 70ltr tank

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 13 at 15:57
I agree it's technically possible, I think calor were the first to do this decades ago.
Problem is that it's more expensive, and in a few years time when it needs replacing (10 max) where do you get another from.
Tanks slung underneath can fail the MOT if in the examiners view they are excessively corroded.
I'd rather go with 2 standard tanks and fittings.

Bought a Disco a couple of months ago with underfloor tanks which were removed to weld new sills on. Garage MOT'd the vehicle minus tanks cos they weren't happy, and they were only made in 2006.

I've cleaned them up and painted with chassis enamel, but I'll change them before the next MOT for piece of mind. Because they are standard tanks cost is around £100 for the pair.

familywagen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familywagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 13 at 11:07
Hi Andy,

It is possible to run your appliances and engine off the same tank, though the tanks are hard to come by.

I have a tank with a liquid feed for the engine and a vapour feed for the appliances fitted with a drive safe regulator on the vapour feed.

Been using it for a few years now and it works great, I did it because I didn't want to be in the situation of having gas on board but not being able to use it. in reality it can be a bit of a pain as you have to watch you consumption on trips to make sure you have enough fuel for cooking/heating, though this is slightly mitigated by the fact that an 'empty' tank as far as the engine is concerned still has enough fuel for an overnight stop.
Hils007 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hils007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 12 at 01:24
Hi - I don't know anything about hard or soft valves but had my LT28 converted to LPG about 4 years ago. The cost was about £1600, included the first service and has been great. I drove 3500 to Montenegro - LPG is considerably cheaper over there (apart from Switzerland) - long way to go for a tankfull though. I got 2 tanks underneath which gives me about 120l (plus expansion) and I average about 400 miles to a tank.

Downsides are: slightly less power (noticeable going up the Alps); sometimes work done on the engine means that the gas needs re-calibrating; when parked up for a length of time the valves can stick on/off/halfway between - and also the initial cost. 

I very seldom run on petrol now but keep abouT3 litres if petrol in the tank. Generally it's been great and more than paid for itself over the past few years as I get about 6 miles to a litre.
Beauty and the Beast
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 17:13

I've looked through the site and can only find one for the newer 300 isa2 manual, unless i'm missing something or half blind?  I've e-mailled them so hopefully they will point me in the right direction.

1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 16:53
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 16:20
Just to add my two pence worth.
professautogas.  were the company that installed my system  in 2010 for a cost of £700 all in.
The installation was very neat I removed the main petrol tank so that I could have a 110Ltr LPG tank fitted and installed a 7Gal aux petrol tank. After the inital bedding in period the van has run well without any problems and I have now covered aprox 6000 miles. I sent the certificate they provided together with the V5 document to DVLC who provided me with a new V5 showing petrol/gas as the fuel type. I informed my Insurance company sending them a copy of the installation certificate and recd confirmation all was ok. I cant believe how easy it was.

I was so pleased with the work and cost, that I also got my daily car converted. This is fuel injected so the cost was a couple of hundred quid more.

Big smileBig smileBig smile all the way to the bank!!

Edited by Dreamcatcher - 15 Mar 12 at 16:22
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>