The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Useful threads.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2lt aircooled engine bay rubber cheap!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2lt aircooled engine bay rubber cheap!!!
    Posted: 23 Aug 11 at 15:10
just purchased 5mtrs of engine bay rubber for my 2ltr aircooled not the engine hatch but for the tinware @ £5.19 per mtr which is £38.94 with vat and postage.
seals+direct.co.uk
the very last item on there page.
code ets1395
hope this helps
lambretta lover but there is room for the t3
1981 2lt aircooled passion wagon
MAY YOU RUST IN PIECES.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j424/timwatson1/
edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 15:11
it doesnt look quite the same - its not ribbed!

how was it when fitted?
ed

tim View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 16:31
hi ed yes you are right no ribs but it seemed to go on ok a bit tight as the rubber is new and the bit that fits to the tin is nice and snug and it went around the curves of the metal really well so all is good.it seems a good substitute for the original at a third of the price.
they do loads of other rubber aswell and they send a catalogue with the purchase.

MAY YOU RUST IN PIECES.

edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 16:35
just thinking...

without the 'ribbing' on the corners doesnt the rubber become taught and drop down leaving a gap.. rather than following the horonzontal lines of the tinware...

...if you kinda get my drift??
tim View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 17:38
hello mate yes it did rise up a bit so i made a small cut on the tight corners and put in a tiny piece on the underside (cant see it at all) and put a dab of araldite on it and held it together for a couple of seconds and  hey presto works a treat i know its not going to go straight on without any problems as its not the correct rubber but as the correct one is over £100 i thought i would have a go first as my deep pockets are emptying bloody fast.
i would suggest give them a ring and im sure they will send you a sample,if you tell them you want to try it around a curved corner they will post out a few inches of it and you can try it mate.
hope this helps.
MAY YOU RUST IN PIECES.

edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 18:07
Top man!
Cheers for the explanation!
Edweed.
edweed View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 11 at 15:42
UPDATE....

I eventually got my engine seal from VWheritage, here - http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pID_190227_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

where it was a couple of quid more than the other place BUT it had the ribbed edge which made it fit around the tinware like a charm!

oh...and still a shit-load cheaper than JK's version...Wink!

Post Reply Post Reply