The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How clogged is your DPF ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How clogged is your DPF ?
    Posted: 02 Aug 11 at 15:40
Had my van in for a regular service today, so thought I'd ask them to check on my DPF while they had the VW software connected.  Here are the results:

Nov 2006 build T5 pre-facelift van, 6speed manual 'box
Engine: 128Kw (174bhp) 2.5l TDI PD, code BPC with DPF (and it works well, I never see any black soot from the exhaust)
81,000 km (50,000 miles) 95% gentle highway/freeway (motorway) cruising in flattish terrain
I've never noticed a regeneration (that's right, not once)

Results of DPF query:

Guided Functions/Function Test/Read measuring blocks/Reading measured values

ID...... Measured value........................ Result.... Specif.value

068/1 Particle filter loading coefficient 8 %........ 0-999%

068/2 Ash mass.................................. 25.......... 0-9999 g

068/3 Ash mass adaptation value...... 0%......... 0-999%

Seems like I don't need to worry about replacing my DPF anytime soon (as long as my driving conditions remain the same).  Mind you, I think I am at the gentle end of the spectrum as far as 174 drivers go (my original tyres all have more than 3.5mm of tread left, too !!!)

It would be interesting to compare my figures with the DPFs of other T5 owners (assuming this info is also available via VCDS).

Edit: another explanation for my low figures is that this engine uses very little oil and the only oil I have ever put in it (from new) has been low SAPS.  From my limited research it seems that some DPF clogging is dues to burnt engine oil.

Edited by gregozedobe - 03 Aug 11 at 17:54
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 14:59
Good post Greg Clap 

Never had a DPF on my old AXE engine but your report shows where to look on 2.5 T5's for that info for guys who own VDCS. 

Go to 'Engine' first then 'Measuring Blocks'.  Scroll up to (or directly enter) ch 068.  The figure after the forward slash on Greg's report (either 1,2,3 or 4) almost certainly refers to the fields within that channel.  This sounds complicated but when you see the four groups of figures it will be obvious.  It looks like it's a snapshot of the live data the DPF is reporting. 

The R5 (2.5) T5's still don't have a label file in VDCS yet, so that means the four fields won't be labelled with what each one means but Greg's report makes that clear (Ash mass etc).

I can understand 'Ash Mass' but what does 'Particle filter loading coefficient mean? And why 0-999%?  Isn't 100% enough?  Confused  Bring back carburettors I say!  LOL

2004 2.5 174
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 22:59
Carbs on a diesel were never that good, i have seen a few DPF fall apart, like ice cubes in the pipe stopped by the exhaust temp sensor from getting too the first silencer....i gotta say i think the best thing to do with them is erase them! but your seems to be doing ok, by the way after 100k its part of the service to check them every 20k ( i bet you knew that but many wont do)
Fast[Plumber View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 11 at 20:44
My ash mass was about 23% at 35k miles,
Its the ash that makes them a service item, im guessing around 150k miles, or a time bomb for anyone buying a 5 year old model! I guess that if you call it a service item its not covered by a warrenty so ge your cheque book out!
T30 174 SWB.
Raven Blue,new Sportlines.
Im the one with the silly smile when Driving!
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 11 at 20:53
Originally posted by Fast[Plumber Fast[Plumber wrote:

... so ge your cheque book out!

Or your hacksaw.
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Fast[Plumber View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 11 at 22:11
DPF delete when Im off warranty!

Hacksaw, gas axe, doesnt matter its got to go!!!
T30 174 SWB.
Raven Blue,new Sportlines.
Im the one with the silly smile when Driving!
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 11 at 22:58
I`m lead to believe the best DPF delete simply removes the innards from the original and remap the ECU to compensate

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 11 at 03:10
I get the impression that whatever you do to bypass the DPF needs some fiddling with the ECU mapping, furthermore some "remappers" could be tempted to do a cheap'n'nasty bodge by just suppressing the error messages rather than stop them from being produced.  This could be a problem later on when a different thing goes wrong but no error message is displayed to alert the driver.

It's a bit of a minefield with all the inter-related sensors and monitoring these modern engines do these days, there are no simple changes anymore (similar applies to EGR delete).
tt62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 11 at 15:40
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

81,000 km (50,000 miles) 95% gentle highway/freeway (motorway) cruising in flattish terrain
I've never noticed a regeneration (that's right, not once)

...................................................  Mind you, I think I am at the gentle end of the spectrum as far as 174 drivers go (my original tyres all have more than 3.5mm of tread left, too !!!)..................................

Bloody hell, 50K miles and tyres only half worn! i thought I was doing well with the fronts on the limit at 21K, (rears are like new).

I bet you get 2000 mpg too?LOL
'09 Sportline Kombi
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 11 at 22:17
Originally posted by tt62 tt62 wrote:

Bloody hell, 50K miles and tyres only half worn! i thought I was doing well with the fronts on the limit at 21K, (rears are like new).

I bet you get 2000 mpg too?LOL

I rotate all 5 tyres regularly, so they are all worn much the same.

The trip computer tries to tell me I get 6-6 - 7.1 L/100km, but it is very optimistic.  I calculate more like 7.5 - 8.0.  I often get 900+ km (550 miles) per tankfull without the red (empty) light harassing me.

It is a lot thirstier when the engine is cold and/or in traffic.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 11 at 23:37
50K and half worn tyres. He must free wheel down hills and draft big trucks!

I am happy 450 - 500 on a tank full of fuel.

The Hannooks I have on a few now are giving about 16500 on the front and the back look new. The bridgestone are a total waste of time and money 7500 and they are gone, and very poor grip.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 11 at 12:08
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

50K and half worn tyres. He must free wheel down hills and draft big trucks!

Nah, I just religiously stick to the speed limit (100/110kmh or 60/67 mph)) because it is way too expensive to have a roadside interview or have your photo taken (ie get done for speeding). 

Here in Oz there is way more law attention on speeding than there is on any other form of more dangerous driving.  Lots of mobile radar, fixed and mobile speed cameras and average speed cameras will be next (already in for trucks, cars will be next).   

Mind you, the new lot of politicians in NSW actually did what they promised and removed all the speed cameras that weren't proved tomake the roads safer.  Many Kudos to them.  Hopefully they will put more police cars on the road and catch all the twats that drive like idiots, and the unregistered cars/unlicensed drivers need to be removed from the roads too (they are involved in way too many fatal and serious crashes)

Post Reply Post Reply