The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sit on kayaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sit on kayaks
    Posted: 17 Jun 11 at 23:46
thinking of buying one but know sod all about them. will one boat do all. was hopeing it would be a stand in till i get back surfing but would also like to do some sea work fishing and the like.

what do i need to avoid there seems to be second hand selling for more that new so im guessing there must be different qualitys.

thanks in advance lee.

it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
Stacey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Tracie "Poo Poo" Magoo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 08:03
What?!
I sell cars and campers.
www.qualitycarsuk.co.uk
~And I like filth, ginger people, drunk Welsh people and fingering food
Diablodub View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
mehcedes...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablodub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 08:33
RTC should be able to help you , he's got a couple i think.
brick-yard splitters breakaway judean peoples front cheesy toss wank - Member No 1
07974 787780 - Stu

Sunny Stockport-Cheshire

syncrostan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrostan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 08:43
As with anything, go for quality.If you are looking to use for fishing, a larger more stable boat would be better, ive got a wilderness systems tarpon 120, which can be rigged for fishing, but is a good play boat.Oh, watch the weight if u want it on the westy roof!!!
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 09:21
Hi Lee - got an Ocean Kayak - Frenzy.

It's absolutely bomb proof, very stable and good on flat water and in the sea.
Worth getting a backrest and seat for added comfort.
Bought it around 3 years ago, if I was buying again I would go for the same make but the two seater as it is more versatile with kids.

Have seen a two seater that has a centre seat to allow it to be paddle solo more efficiently but cannot remember which one it was.

Ocean kayak info here re fishing - they have developed loads since I bought mine but it is still a good boat.

http://www.oceankayak.com/fishing/

Hardly gets wet now we all have SUPs - fantastic bits of kit for flat water and sea, also great in the surf if you use your brain and don't hog the break - better options is to use it's mobility to get out to parts of the break that can't be surfed on a normal board. You can also get a day's surfing in when there's just not enough power in the waves to be able to pop on a regular board, always take mine on surf trips to max the time in the water. Some of my Aussie mates use them as fishing platforms too.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 09:23
Oh and carried this on the Westy all round Ireland and Wales:

Removed it before I popped the top to protect the hinges (truth is I am too feeble to lift it with 3 SUPS, a longboard and a kayak!!)
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
stephmac View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 10:59
Originally posted by ..lee.. ..lee.. wrote:

thinking of buying one but know sod all about them. will one boat do all. was hopeing it would be a stand in till i get back surfing but would also like to do some sea work fishing and the like.

what do i need to avoid there seems to be second hand selling for more that new so im guessing there must be different qualitys.

thanks in advance lee.

If i was buying one i would want to avoid sharks, man eating octopi and floaters Smile
1987 T3 Caravelle 1.9 DG
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 12:22
cheers guys.

paul that frenzy is listed as 2.7m. is this big enough to carry a bit of kit on i`m 16 stone now. Unhappy.  i tried my mates sup before my leg op and thought it was great but kneeling is impossible for me atm and my skill levels on the sup requires me to kneel when it gets choppy. hence the sit down option.
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 12:26
lee look at palm equipment based in clevedon they make loads of sea kayaks.

i did their extension and fit out. amazing place.

Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 13:07
cheers jase.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 13:17
Good little boat well equiped for the money http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_minix.asp
By a padded back rest and thigh straps it makes a masive difference

Edited by light - 18 Jun 11 at 13:21
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 13:50
cheers light that does look good.

Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 15:30
Hi Lee, good point I am pretty light so the next one up from the Frenzy may be betterer, though Stu's call is a good one Palm have been making performance white water boats for ages. Malibu looks decent too, never had access to one so cannot vouch for what they are like to paddle/own.

One up from the Frenzy, called a scrambler - if you look on the website they do a ruck of fishing accessories.:

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/angler_editions/

..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 15:50
i lke the ocean kayak body. looks like it`ll take a tidy size dry bag front and rear. cant find prices on the malibu. i`ll keep looking.

thanks agian all.

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 17:24
I think my mate bought a malibu from Swansea canoes ,also the malibu is the same hull as the ocean frenzy I think? but the malibu has the rod holders and hatches
It is a good fishing kayak but if you want something for messing about in the surf and a bit of fishing I would say you would be better of with a perception scooter   
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 17:40
i can see the differences in the hull shape. i presume its the hulls that dictate their usage ???

i`ll probally use it mostly with my mate and his paddle board so that will mean in smallish surf. id still like to have room to pack a bit of kit. i`ll ring swansea canoes monday, they`re not far from me.

big thanks again.  lee.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 20:41
Yes the hull shape makes a big difference  and even more so if you intend to use it in the surf I have had a few different sit on top`s but the best all rounder in my opinion is the perception scooter.

The ones with cathedral type hulls are made for stability and when used in the surf you just beco a passenger with very little control .I had a perception five o which is a dedicated wave ski but not much use for anything else
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 22:13
Have taken the Frenzy into the waves once, and that was sufficient, exploring the coast and flat water is  fine even in large sea swell.
gusbang View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gusbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 11 at 20:00
Originally posted by rogerthecat rogerthecat wrote:

Have seen a two seater that has a centre seat to allow it to be paddle solo more efficiently but cannot remember which one it was.

Was that a Bic Tobago, i have just bought one, good piece of kit.
T3 Doka 2.1MV
 Post Reply Post Reply