The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project pop top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project pop top
    Posted: 04 Jun 11 at 15:58
Hi
Meet moose hes a 89 california which was a pop top when made but someone has added a reimo high top.The van other than the top is very original and mostly original paint.Bought it yesterday of ebay and drove it 175 miles home.The plans are to put it back to a pop top hopfully soon as the high top is ugly.It needs one seam sorting and then using as its been stored for 2 years waiting probaite to happen.This van replaces my mint 89 california that was written off in feb.Think i got a good deal at £4900 including one years tax so here are a few before pics just a few bits to find
t3trooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 11 at 16:40
You got a bargin, saw that advertised not a lot to do to knock it into shape.
keep us posted
steve
younger View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 11 at 19:06
you beat me to it i was looking at that one thinking i could put a pop top back on, just didn't have the time to get and see it, good luck with the transplant fella
1988 multivan magnum
syncrostan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrostan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 11 at 19:38
Bargain, and you get a boat to play in free of charge!
panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 11 at 10:08
Cheers guys i think i did ok but we will see when i find a roof
jim painter View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim painter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 11 at 17:28
Looks nice. Definatly get rid of that high top though.
Jrp automotive welding, servicing and repair.
Cheshire
Face book page. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002268471342
panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 12 at 21:06
Its been a while but as of this morning the van finally sucumed to a head gasket fault so it got picked up from the campsite and delivered to my workshop for repairs.I have found a roof its all painted and ready to go its had rs8 wheels on it for a few months now just need the wheel bearings done and lowering via the kit ive had in the kitchen for the past few months.Just need to find a aaz engine to put in it then im all set for the season.Its been a great van as my daily and show goer done just over 5000 kms so carnt complain.Will update soon
panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 12 at 21:20
A pic of this morning
It was fun while it lasted
panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 12 at 19:54
So today was fun went to workshop to remove hightop after speaking to various people it was decided to cut it of as whoever fitted it must have had shares in tigerseal and silicon sealer it was never going to leak or fall off thats for sure .So with the help of my friend andy we set about drilling sawing and cutting it off and now its off it looks so much better its just a shame its not a tin top as it looks so good with nothing on the roof.Now all ive got to do is remove all the sealer nand there loads then have the vans roof painted so i can fit the poptop so heres the pictures sorry about the knob drawn on the windscreen but it had to be done really
How it looked this morning

First cuts to see what we where upagainst
Andy going for it
As we thought double skined with dense foam inside and a load of sealer
So we went for it saw and drill was the tools of choise
Corners where a pain to get through
Loads of drill holes
All the way around
Outer off first quite heavy but its off
Leaving the inner and insulation
Inner off looking better allready
All off just sealer to remove looks very cool now
Looks great now i wish westy did a tin top and i wasnt 6 foot 5 tall
Happy days looking foward to getting pop top on now

panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 12 at 20:00
Just got out of shower never been so itchy if anyone knows of a easy way to remove the sealer i would love to hear about it as i think its going to take ages
andypandy1930 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andypandy1930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 12 at 20:10
Get someone else to remove it for you! Bloody itchy job
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 12 at 20:35
last one i did i used a BLUNT flat screwdriver, took more effort than a sharp chisel would but didnt really mark the paint. once i got the thick off i used a caramel wheel to take them remnants off
hogseye View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogseye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 12 at 20:56
[QUOTE=panalvan]
Loads of drill holes
All the way around

for someone who is sooo fussy you are crap at dot to dot, you missed nearly every oneWink
panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 12 at 16:53
Spent most of the day removing the sealer that someone kindly put on the van i would say they used about 50 tubes and the only way to get it off was use a wood chisel but its now almost off

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 12 at 17:05
fuck me! was definatly a long term decision by the last owner to fit a hightop!Shocked can you not get some sort of specific chemical to break the silicon down? i'm sure ive seen summat?

Edited by rowlesy - 22 Jan 12 at 17:07
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 12 at 17:20
Tryed loads of products but nothing works will try what you put up but im worried about damaging the paint.I know im getting the roof repainted but i want to leave as much of the original paint as possable for extra protection
Allanw View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
SYCOPHANTIC TRAINEE WELSHMAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allanw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 12 at 21:36
Get a pinstrip removal wheel - it will certainly get the remains off if you cut off the big chunks. Minimal to no paint damage.

Wurth do a VERY good one, and it smells nice too :-)

Edited by Allanw - 22 Jan 12 at 21:40
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC, apprentice Viking...

Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.
panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 19:06
Well its been a while but loads has been done after having to bare metal the roof because of the silicone i took it to the painters on a trailer as the engine needs sorting
All nice and shiney
Then i started the roof build roof rack first
Then with some help (cheers dad andy carl and nick) we lifted the rebuilt roof onto the van

Then had to put the cab roof linner back as well as the light pods in the back picked up a engine today so that should be in by the weekend and its back on the road
younger View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 19:35
thats a much better looking van with its proper roof Thumbs Up
1988 multivan magnum
panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 12 at 14:56
So van is back on the road roof is done engine has been changed runs great just needs tick over turning down abit so this is the pic from this morning
A good clean to follow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>