The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M-TDI Pumps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 11 at 22:47
Originally posted by monsho monsho wrote:

Interesting stuff...I wasn't questioning it, just asking if that was their actual purpose.

Would something like this be worth trying?

Not much money to outlay as an experiment

Yes it would do the job but like I say I'm not100% that I`m right It just seems a lot of work for a manufacturer to ad a facility to a engine when it is not really needed so I just come to the conclusion that it may be there for other reasons than simply get fuel from tank to pump and I know for a fact that if you run two pumps in series you are always going to generate more pressure than you would get with one

Are you using standard nozzle's? as the use of higher pressure lift pumps on tuned eTDI`s is generally to maintain injection pressures on the bigger nozzles
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 11 at 09:14
Nope, got big .216 nozzles - it has occured to me that these are just too big - deliver plenty of fuel higher revs but not right for low down.

Wonder if its worth swapping them for something smaller first...
vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 11 at 19:38
What turbo are you running with your set up?
Alan Hayes - Campervan Culture
e:al@campervanculture.com
m: 07967 010140

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 11 at 19:44
Tis a hybrid, K14 base, bit bigger compressor - nothing crazy.  Very similar one on Baxters spools up fine on the AAZ so I don't think its too big, more that the fuelling map isn't right - Light has given me a few things to try and see if I can get it right before sending it off for a lots of money build...

Are you TDi now fella?
vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 11 at 21:27
Yeah, ive had the 1Z in there for about 9 months now i guess.
Bloody amazing improvement arn't they!

Out of interest, do you know what your pump was timed up to? i only ask as ive had to tweak with mine a bit to get it where it runs nice and it seems to make a big difference to the torque band with just fractional differences in pump timing.(dont ask me what mm im running, as i dont know, been tweaking by ear)
And seeing as you have large injectors also, the stock settings for the engine wont be right.

Im running similar injectors in mine (T4 150bhp ones, which im led to believe are not actually a 216, but slightly smaller nozzles, but with different springs.....who knows...they're bloody nice though, proper Bosch ones) Standard K14 turbo for the time being, considering VNT for the future, but it'll have to be mechanical which is going to take a bit of setting up.

Out of interest, are you still running with the lightened fly wheel set up? Or have you changed over to the TDI flywheel, i sometimes wonder if it was a mistake to not have the heavier flywheel....?

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 11 at 22:14
Hey, so is your's mechanical as well?

injector nozzles - yep, the Bosch ones off Baxter, T4 ones.  Timed it all up at Baxters, so pretty sure its bang on, but done to specs - may be scope for playing with it...it does run well though...  Going to knock some of the fuel from the LDA enrichment, then turn up the fuel screw and see if that levels things out.

Ditched the lightened flywheel for the standard one, and it is def better, improves things low down, less 'jerky' on and off the accelerator - was def too light before hand.
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 11 at 22:58
andy have you used an egt guage and a mot smoke meter to compare with a std etdi? my mtdi is in and running today but probally looking at a shit load of fiddling to get it somewhere near right.

lee.
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 11 at 20:03
That's decided then, reckon I'm going to swap to the TDI clutch set up when I take my box out for gear upgrade. Always had a suspicion that it wasn't quite right...

Yeah, mines an MTDi. Seems our setups are pretty similar.

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 11 at 20:32
yep, have got an EGT gauge, it doesn't blow smoke though, runs clean.  Temps were getting high before smoke was coming so that was my defining thing to deal with.  There's various opinions on how hot they should get but I dont like taking it above 1250 degrees for any length of time.

Al, yep, def worth doing, is your accelerator like a switch at the minute?  Found it horrible round town, much better with standard set up.  You using an LT pump?  Shame your as far away from me as you could be, would have popped down to compare (although I am in Portsmouth tonight)
vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 11 at 08:19
Yeah, that's it, like an on off switch. Like you say it's a pain round town!

TDI clutch it is then!

Not sure of the origin of my pump, looks a bit different to yours. It's one of Andy Simpsons.

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 11 at 21:39
Andrews pump has a single spring governor, when first fitted it wouldn't rev about 2000rpm!
I've used a different spring that allows it to rev more.
TBH, it was ages ago and I've slept since then!
once it went it, it was mentally fast, but let enough smoke to put a cruise liner to shame.
Fuel has been trimmed back to stop the smoke, then LDA dicked with to allow the best power/smoke balance we could get with what we had while trying to keep EGT down.
I'm no Diesel injection expert by a long shot, I know enough to do my job repairing standard vehicles.
What also makes it difficult is Andrew lives miles away and I'm always busy with customers paying work so Andrews always gets pushed back.
I think some smaller injectors may be a start, and a standard K14 off a JX and try that.
The van is fine if you drive like a twat everywhere, once you get used to how fast the engine needs to be going to keep it spooled up it's fine, it's just shit to drive normally.
Granted, a tad more advance may also be worth investigating, I'm fairly sure we did do a fair bit of dicking about with timing, can't remember where we settled though...?
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 11 at 21:41
Oh, and lift pump.
That's probably what causes the momentary loss of power, the rattle and white smoke when you nail it from cold, 'ar lasses AFN Passat does it too.
Hillshy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 11 at 00:28
very interesting post, which spring is in place at the moment, assume its the main spring and the intermediate removed and shims in its place?
I have been swapping springs around and seeing how things can change with a small tweak. On my AAZ i'm running the JX throttle arm and gov set up. For ages been running with the intermadiate spring remove and shims in its place, loads of throttle and revs to the moon but in traffic I had a bouncy throttle, 4 days ago, swapped out the shims and returned the intermediate spring and then shimmed the main spring, cured the bouncy throttle but I can't do over a 90mph anymore. going to add another shim on swap out the main spring for a passat main spring sure I will strike a happy medium some point soon.

great post  guys, very interesting ;-) 
1990 velle weekender(Hilli) AAZ

B5 Passat V6 TDI Tiptronic
A3 PD170 s-line soon to be sold asap bloody pd engines!
SUKI SJ410 on stilts
vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 11 at 07:42
Single spring governor, that's interesting. Do you mean it was always single spring, from stock? Or you've removed the intermediate?

Going to be doing some governor spring fiddling with mine soon also, it's a bit twitchy right now, bags of power / revs, but it's a bit 'lively' if your not gunning it.

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 11 at 16:27
A single spring governor ? I cant say I have seen all pumps but of the ones I have dealt with that include plant/ marine and vehicle pumps the only one`s that I  have seen that had single spring governor`s are plant i.e generators /compressors and the like and it may be just a coincidence that the pump would only allow 2000rpm when first fitted as that is ,there or there about the rpm that most plant operates at and most plant has two rev ranges they switch from one to the other {the ones that use mech pumps} and they are idle when there is no load ,or there working rpm 2k ish when under load  
vealmonkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vealmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 11 at 23:32
transit di has 1 spring , you need a lift pump for higher rpm , i run MTDI pumps on my 3 tdi s , i have them set up for low down power torque is king , you have prob come across me at vw diesel.net , i set up pumps for the MTDI s , but hard to give info on pumps that have bits changed inside , you dont need 12mm head to make 150hp 10mm will do
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 11 at 07:53
Where abouts are you based fella?
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 11 at 21:27
first journey out with my mtdi good torque but lacking in the upper range. as expected some fiddling to do.
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
vealmonkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vealmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 11 at 21:57
Originally posted by monsho monsho wrote:

Where abouts are you based fella?
Inverness
MTDIs arent big on rpms like the IDIs  my peak torqe starts at 1300 rpm to about 3600rpm , the more revs you make the more fuel you use ats all about the gearing well for me anway
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 11 at 22:37
Ah, bit of a poke to get up there then...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>