The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my fan is always on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burnsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my fan is always on
    Posted: 22 May 11 at 08:00
Can anyone suggest what's wrong with my T30? The fan comes on 10 secs after the ignition comes on regardless of temperature, it hasn't got air con, and yesterday I pulled the lead of the radiator fan switch and it still span away. Do I need to spend loads on a new fan controller?

Heres the thread on t4forum but not many ideas there.
Cheers Dylan

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116638
Tinium View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 10:31
Mine did the same couple of years back - turned out the water temperature sender had failed. (The temperature gauge in the instrument cluster was jumping between 0 and 90 at the same time).

Not sure that pulling the lead would stop the fans - it may be the opposite if it "fails safe", though I don't know for sure, someone else with more knowledge may correct me! Smile
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 12:18
I had the same problem on a french filth and was quoted silly money to investigate it never mind fix it so I installed a switch on the dashboard to control it on/off.

It worked fine for a few months until I got stuck in some August holiday traffic on the M5 in, temp went up and up despite the fan 'on', when I got rolling again the 'always on' problem had gone away.

Seems boiling it up had reset the sensor.

But, as I say, not VW so I don't know. Big smile
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 13:44
I have read of Octavias which have 2 different causes:

1 Faulty relay (quite common)

2 Water/Corrosion in fusebox (in engine bay)

Of course this may or may not be relevant to T5s.
burnsey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burnsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 19:03
maybe i will go for the fan switch first as they can only be about 15 quid or so instead of the relay fan controll box. 

have tested every fuse both inside the van and in the bay.

thanks and fingers crossed.

ps does any other of the vw family share the same fan switch as my 1.9 t5 t30 2005? thinking laterally about chea[er part than going to VW commercial :-(
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 23:09
Hi i quick suggestion on all T5 there is an air temp sensor located on the front bumper in the centre behind the grill if this is disconnected (front end pulled forward) or wiring damaged (front end knock this will cause the fans to run all the time easy check if fans come in with just the ignition on chances are this front sensor is your problem hope this helps
burnsey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burnsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 11 at 00:58
Originally posted by VW master-tech VW master-tech wrote:

Hi i quick suggestion on all T5 there is an air temp sensor located on the front bumper in the centre behind the grill if this is disconnected (front end pulled forward) or wiring damaged (front end knock this will cause the fans to run all the time easy check if fans come in with just the ignition on chances are this front sensor is your problem hope this helps

Fans on with just ignition yes! Will look in daylight thankyou , will I have to remove grill / bumper? I'll rip it apart, sounds like the best lead ever, thanks again, really hoping now :)
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 11 at 14:47
Could be a faulty engine temp sensor too (telling controller engine is hot when it isn't).  Any problems starting when cold ?
burnsey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burnsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 11 at 14:52
vw master tech, you are a genius, temp sensor behind bumper had blue/green corrosion on contacts, a bit of wiggling and a squirt of War Department 40 and all fixed for nowt. was gonna shell out 60 quid for the controller believing it to be that. cant thank you enough, cheersStar

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 11 at 22:38
No problem burnsey glad you got it sorted
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 11 at 04:37
^ Well done Thumbs Up
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 11 at 12:13
I love threads like this with an good result .

ClapFor the master tech .  You should open a help line mate , i would gladly pay you for advice like that .

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Grubscr3w View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubscr3w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 15 at 16:58
Originally posted by burnsey burnsey wrote:

vw master tech, you are a genius, temp sensor behind bumper had blue/green corrosion on contacts, a bit of wiggling and a squirt of War Department 40 and all fixed for nowt. was gonna shell out 60 quid for the controller believing it to be that. cant thank you enough, cheersStar

Bump - help please!

I have the same problem on my T5: ignition on and the radiator fans spool up.

I'm hoping that I also need the same fix - where is the temp sensor behind the bumper please?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 15 at 18:22
Hi temp sensor is the ambient air temp sensor and is clipped to the back of the front bumper,if you look carefully through the grill slats you can see it hanging down in the air flow, if you have small hands you can unplug and remove in situ or depending on the bumper you have remove the grill or loosen the bumper and tilt forward
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
Ramie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 18 at 23:14
Hi I have Vw t30 2004 transporter dropside it’s 6spead 2.5 engine if any body can help me please I have engine fan running all the time when I put ignition on fan not working but when I tern the engine fan works all the time if any body know what’s the problem please
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 18 at 14:27
As above.  The air temp sensor behind the O/S bumper faulty, disconnected or the wiring to the plug corroded.

Or- If you have A/C switched on that will make the fans run almost permanently.

Or- Some faulty sensors will keep the fan on if the ECU thinks it doesn't have proper control of them.  These will be mostly related to the A/C but I think coolant temp sensors can do this.  And lastly ECU faults or damaged loom.

If you can get it diagnostics (a complete scan not just the engine) it might point you in the right direction. Thumbs Up

2004 2.5 174
Ramie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 18 at 18:55
Ok thanks I go to garage tomorrow I try them first then I back to you thanks
174exec View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 174exec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 18 at 15:56
Hiya guys, 
Am having the same problem with my 2007 Caravelle. Fan kicks in as soon as the ignitions turned on.
I read what the master tec said on earlier posts.
I carnt get at the sensor plug behing the bumper an grill. Any info were i can down load a 2007 Caravellle manual.
Am just hoping its a quick fix. Supposed to be taking her to Spain next tuesday.
Cheers
Tengu
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 18 at 18:17
You could do with getting it on diagnostics which should give you a clue where to look.  If it is the ambient air temp sensor behind the bumper causing the problem it will show up as a fault code with a description.  There are plenty of other causes for that fault though, even a fuse, especially an A/C fuse (and there will be more than one of those) could cause it.  Any fault in fact that makes the ECU think it can't reliably control engine temp will put the fans on as a precaution.  

The coolant temp sensor is another one as Greg says.  The coolant temp sensor on my van has started playing up and putting the fans on at random times so it's bumper off time for me (again!) to get at it being a 2.5. 

16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62) 
            P0118 - 000 - Signal too High - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1701 /min
                    Torque: 148.8 Nm
                    Speed: 39.0 km/h
                    Load: 38.0 %
                    Voltage: 14.44 V
                    Bin. Bits: 00001000
                    Temperature: 24.3°C
                    Temperature: 12.6°C  

If you don't have access to VCDS start by checking every fuse including the ones under the bonnet beside the battery with a test light or meter, don't rely on a visual check.  Let us know how you get on. Smile 

Edited by T5 TDI - 29 May 18 at 18:19
2004 2.5 174
174exec View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 174exec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 18 at 20:17
Thats great info. Never thought about the fuses. Will try and get them checked tomorrow. Thanks guys got a couple of options now to tell the lad at the garage.
I wouldnt mind but had her serviced at the liverpool VW van centre at the beginning of the month. Wont be going back.
Will keep you posted on how i get on.
cheers.
Tengu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>