The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing a Westy Joker interior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theboycalledleaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing a Westy Joker interior
    Posted: 03 May 11 at 21:58
Any hints or tips?
I've got some wiring to replace from the leisure battery under the drivers seat, back to (I assume) the BBB and beyond.
As you can see (if I've posted the photos correctly), the red / black from the leisure and the red / yellow are both somewhat fried.

I thought I'd remove the cupboards, replace the wiring, check out the rust behind the fridge, try a fridge service (it's never worked!), and have a general tidy up.
Can anyone tell me what to do with the gas pipe that enters the bus form the tank through the floor?
I've removed the fridge, but that has the stop valve in line between the tank and the fridge.  I assume that if I remove the pipe from the tank to allow me to remove the kitchen block, I'll flood the bus with propane?
All this to replace a few wires.....
Incidentally, take a look at the burnt out section under the rear seat.  I assume this is where my eber used to be.  Also, is the grey unit a standard BBB or a replacement unit?

Any advice or help greatly appreciated as the bus has stood for a while and the pressure is on to get things sorted.

Cheers

Leaf.......'83 Westy 1.6D
Going slowly in a cloud of smoke
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 11 at 22:52
The 2 holes in the floor is where the eber piping goes. On top of the this is the standard Westy charger. That socket does not look familiar. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow of this area from my van which is similar vintage. But maybe someone has some interweb links for you.

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
jed the spread View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 06:24
Looks abit DIY Bri to me Wink

jed
[URL=http://www.whatatool.com[/URL]

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 14:45
Shut off the gas-tank valve at the tank end and you`ll be fine. Kitchen block comes out without to much drama, just find all the fixing bolts, some inside the 2-flap cupboard that bolt into the kitchen block, one of two through the floor in the cupboard, that may need cutting off if badly rusted.

Don`t know what that socket thing is but it`s non-standard. Looks like a mains socket with a flap on it? The BBB was a big black plastic boxy thing that sat on top of where your Eber used to be. The thicker red/black wire that is fried originally went from the BBB to the MAIN starter battery via the split-charge relay to charge it when hooked up (it runs straight through the relay, terminal 87 which is a through connection with two terminals). The red/yellow wire that is fried originally went from the BBB to the LEISURE battery to charge that when hooked up. The THINNER red/black in the picture with the white plastic plug on it went from terminal 86 on the relay to EARTH (dunno why they used that colour, should be brown, but it is confusing when you are trying to sort out the wiring) Confused

What wires go into that grey box thing? Can`t tell from the foto. The small plug with red and brown cables originally fed the Eber. Has the split-charge relay been connected up wrongly??

I`d make up a complete new Westy loom, with bigger capacity cables etc and a decent rated split-charge relay. Worth going the whole hog and fitting a new charger (see the thread in the Westy Useful section) and doing it all properly, won`t take long once you`ve got the kitchen block out. Fridge service and test while it`s out, expect the worst when you check for rust behind the fridge Cry

Edited by Joker_Club - 04 May 11 at 14:51
Sunny Lancs
theboycalledleaf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theboycalledleaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 16:18
Thanks Tram man, any photo's of a similar period westy would help me fathom it out.
Joker, thanks as always.  A big help.  Can't say I'm keen on all the wiring, but with a little help, I'm sure it'll be fine.
You're right about the grey box.  It's a socket, which I assume was once used to charge the batteries from the mains.  However, without a split charger (BBB) I can only assume this has never worked.  Are BBB's still available?  Or is the easiest option to follow the new charger route?
Complete novice at electrics, but I'm determined.
Any idea where I can aquire higher ampage (50a?) cables of the correct colouring?
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 23:40
Spent today un-bodging some wiring on my Westy. Remembered to take some pics for you.

This is what it should look like at the back

This is what it looks like under the charger. Top right you can see 240v cable coming in. Goes to charger. 12v returns under floor (1x brown, 1x red/yellow, 1x red/black. Also lots of Eber wiring. So you are missing a few (specific Westfalia) parts.

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
theboycalledleaf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theboycalledleaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 11 at 08:08
Thank you. I can see I've bought a pig in a poke I'll worry about an eber at a later date, and just try to sort out the split charge, the burnt out wiring and a new relay. Plus the fridge service. Plus the rust behind the fridge. Looks like I'll be working overtime!
Is that an original split charger (BBB)? Obviously I haven't got one and don't know what one looks like as someone BURNT OR PILFERED THE OLD ONE!
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 11 at 08:50
The BBB isn`t a split charger. The split-charge system generally refered to in campers, is the charging system from the alternator, the voltage being split between the main starter battery and the leisure battery, via a split-charge relay so it charges both. They are only connected, by the relay, when the engine is running. When it`s stopped they are disconnected so there is no chance of the starter battery going flat when using your interior lights etc.
Sunny Lancs
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 11 at 18:24
Note also that the fridge 12V is wired through the split charge relay so it only runs direct from the alternator - never from the main battery and never from the leisure battery.
My van is better known in these parts than I am
 Post Reply Post Reply