The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 clutch costs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 clutch costs?
    Posted: 22 Apr 11 at 13:10
Hi all

just got back in after a ride behind the old faithfull RAC truck with my 1.9tdi T5 (86ps), pulling away from a large crossroads there was a bang and the sound of crunching gears!. The clutch pedal feels the same and the gears are selectable ok,  the guy checked the driveshafts and said it's most likely the clutch which would make sense as it did judder when reversing up the driveway for a while previous to this.
The big question is how much is this likely to cost me next week and should the flywheel be replaced as well as i've read these can be problematic. Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

stevext
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 11 at 13:31
I've heard that the SACHS brand DMFs for T5s are supposed to be better than the LUK ones (but have no actual first hand knowledge to confirm or refute).
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 11 at 18:11
I'd check the n/s driveshaft again first
stevext View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 11 at 20:30
Hi

phoning the local independant vw centre tomorrow morning ( if their not off for the four days? ) and will getr them to check - dont think i'll be seeing any change from £750 though Cry
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 11 at 22:07
I'm with Clonky. Thumbs Up  As a test if they jack up the van on one side (so the other wheel is held on the ground) and put it in gear, if the jacked up wheel can turn a full revolution then something is wrong.  If they then jack up the other side and it does the same I'd say the problem is clutch/ DMF.

If only one side locks up properly then the opposite side has the problem.   Which is most likely to be the drive shaft spines stripped at the gearbox end. 

A search here will explain more but (unusually) you can buy the 'stub shaft' that fits in the gearbox as a separate part (almost like they knew it was going to fail Wink ) and you will need a new drive shaft of course.  I've heard talk of a short/inner drive shaft being available but I don't know if this is true.  Please make sure to let us know how you get on. Smile

Edit- Not sure if this test would be true for DSG or 4WD.

Edited by T5 TDI - 22 Apr 11 at 22:35
2004 2.5 174
stevext View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 11 at 09:30
Hi

Taking it down this morning..............
stevext View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 11 at 17:03
Afternoon............

Turned out the offside drive shafts were to blame, replaced both with genuine vw ones ( 2 years warantee ) and cleared £555 from my bank account!. Seems to be a common problem with T5's so i'm assuming vw just like to get even more money from us instead of sorting the fault out with a better component .

Cheers for all the advice though.

Stevext
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 11 at 13:16
Blummin' offside drive shaft. Been there and felt the pain in the wallet. Cry

Coming back to Clutch Kit costs. Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction where I could source a SACHS Clutch kit and Dual Mass Flywheel for perhaps a realistic price (though still expensive I'm sure)?
I'm anticipating £500 inclusive. It's for a 2.5 AXD (130).

Thanks in advance..
2004 LWB 2.5 AXD 130hp, K&N Filter, Allard EGR Pipe and Oil Breather Tank....
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 11 at 14:08
Afternoon all. It seems that in fact there is no SACHS clutch kit (DMF + Slave included) for the 2.5 T5's. It's the LUK or nought as far as i understand it. Sachs variations do exist for the 1.9's though. Apparently the 1.9's are particularly susceptible to engine vibration leading to early DMF destruction. Wonder if the 2.5's are susceptible to excessive engine vibrations - good idea to get mounts checked? To continue ranting, perhaps excessive engine vibration also causes manifold cracks......
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 11 at 19:50
So how does £375.31 (incl VAT) sound for LUK dual mass flywheel, LUK Clutch Kit and LUK Concentric Slave Cylinder? Confused
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 11 at 21:26
Originally posted by Kitawagon Kitawagon wrote:

So how does £375.31 (incl VAT) sound for LUK dual mass flywheel, LUK Clutch Kit and LUK Concentric Slave Cylinder? Confused

I`d say it sounds very reasonable - I somehow had a idea in my head that the dual mass and clutch would cost £500ish alone never mind the additional costs of the slave cylinder

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 11 at 15:51
£375 for a flywheel, clutch and release bearing is a very good price indeed... I've been pricing the same for my 174 and they started at around £600 from my usual motorfactor... I have it down to about £400 + vat.

Where is your kit from?
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 11 at 21:31
Flywheel, bearing, pressure plate, friction plate, 8 crankshaft bolts and fitted, £1700.00 inc vat after shoddy VW Warranty repair by Agnews.

It helps if they tighten the last bolt and lock tight it!

I think you are meant to change the crankshaft bolts is changing the flywheel.
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 11 at 08:55
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

£375 for a flywheel, clutch and release bearing is a very good price indeed... I've been pricing the same for my 174 and they started at around £600 from my usual motorfactor... I have it down to about £400 + vat.

Where is your kit from?

Hi, sorry for the delay. Parts ordered from eurocarparts.com

They are not normally that cheap, but they have a couple of sale codes available:

CLUTCH15 and CRAZY25

Only the clutch code works for flywheels/clutches etc. and entitles all to 15% discount. The Crazy25 is a 25% off and seems to apply to a lot of other gubbins. Make the most of it?

With regards to your quote of £400 + VAT (£480 all in) I actually think that is not a bad price considering the clutch kit, slave cylinder and especially the DMF are more expensive on the 174 engines. Perhaps a tad cheaper through eurocarparts applying the code above? Sorry I didn't look at it :-)

Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 11 at 08:59
Also my understanding is that you receive new bolts (crankshaft?) with the flywheel and therefore it is not necessary to purchase additional bolts? Can anyone clarify if I'm correct with this assumption? Or whether there are two sets of bolts i.e. flywheel and crankshaft?

Cheers

Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 11 at 20:42
For all those who like pictures of clutch apparatus LOL

Just so you know, if you pay more than 375 (incl. VAT) you are being robbed. Bulk buyers I hear should be able to get this lot (for a 2.5 130) for close to 300 quid all in.

Edited by Kitawagon - 29 Sep 11 at 20:42
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 11 at 22:08
It looks lovely shiny and new. Get an eye full of what it can look like when Agnews fit it for you.
Like the new dimple affect from a low flying crankshaft bolt?

The bolt reshapes the heads and starts to fracture the pressure plate.

Here the fingers are bent and damaged.

If you want I also have the destroyed bolts that did the damage and the bead shot bell housing from the bolt bouncing around. Can I ask how many other people have had crankshaft bolts drop out, not break, fracture but come out complete?
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 11 at 22:40
Kitawagon did you get the crankshaft bolts with the kit?

Does in menetion anywhere are they meant to use threadlocking compund?
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 11 at 23:14
Hi there, I have also ordered the Bolts, 17 pounds - 25%. Sorry but so far there are no instuctions for installation. I doubt there wil be with the bolts but will let you know....
Phil2511 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil2511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 11 at 02:41
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

Flywheel, bearing, pressure plate, friction plate, 8 crankshaft bolts and fitted, £1700.00 inc vat after shoddy VW Warranty repair by Agnews.

It helps if they tighten the last bolt and lock tight it!

I think you are meant to change the crankshaft bolts is changing the flywheel.

I paid £1815 inc VAT for secondhand gearbox with 30k miles and full clutch kit with flywheel and slave fitted and all in a local garage. All went at 280k miles.
My van hasn't been in Agnews since the day I bought it 03/04/06 lol
Driveshaft went at 340k miles.
Inlet manifold was replaced at 350kish miles but was obviously cracked much longer as Turbo was like new when they did the manifold. EGR valve done at same time.
Second set of engine mounts done last Friday at 400k miles. Starter motor 2 days later.
Also have had both rear hub bearings done and gear linkage twice and intercooler pipe clips have broken 3 times at a cost of £0.97 and of course Agnews had none in stock so a 3 day wait and no van.
I think that's it tbh.
So far van has served me well. Got 180k miles on rear set of tyres each time and about 80k miles on fronts. With the Michelin Agilis. So have stuck with them every time. Well worth the £250 a pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply