The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The T3 Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 11 at 22:39
I'm planning on using all the diesel hoses apart from the one to the auxilliary water pump. If it's any help, I've got a diagram I put together to help me get my head round what I needed if you want a copy (although it's unproven at the moment Big smile)
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 11 at 22:40

That would be great! Do you have to have an auxilery water pump?

I taste Hurty!
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 11 at 23:04
no, diesel engines have them, but not needed for the golf lump - PM me your email address and i'll send it over
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 11 at 19:07
Cheers for the diagram, Thats pretty much how I had except the pipe from head to heater matrix but me we had decided that could be the way to get around it, Whats the second sensor for in the big flange?
I taste Hurty!
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 11 at 22:23
no worries. There are two temp senders left over from the DG engine that were located in the thermostat housing. I presume one is for the temp gauge, but no idea what the other one is for Confused 
You need to keep the original temp sender from the AGG as well for the ECU, which means a total of 3. So I have the JX flange for the side of the head which takes one sender, and the new font flange which takes the other 2.
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 11 at 22:26
Damn it, got rid of everything when I sold the WBX. so guess ill be needing more sensors! meh
I taste Hurty!
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 11 at 22:37
Wish I knew what that other sender was for - you probably only need the one for the temp gauge. Don't know if you can take a feed for the temp gauge direct from the AGG sender - guess it may not be compatible.
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Canty25 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canty25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 11 at 10:30
Awesome work man, best tribute you could give for Uncle Tony, keep the legend alive!

looking forward to more work and progress, unfortunately, mines gonna go on the back burner now unless a minor miracle happens!!

Edited by Canty25 - 14 Sep 11 at 10:31
1990 TinTop T3, 1989 MK2 Golf, Bora TDi
Fun Lovin Flat 4's V-Dub Club
Dubshire
Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 11 at 17:38
If you are using the golf temp sensor that has 4 pins, 2 for gauges and 2 for ecu. If you need any pics of DIY plumbing just ask! i didn't use any diesel hoses, just bought a few silicone elbows off ebay. Done 2000miles in the bus now and coolant system seems to be spot on!  oh that little 8mm pipe i have connected to the header tank, i used a T4 header tank same as golf mk3 but tiwce the size so it holds around the same volume of water as a standard T3 header. 

Keep up the good work mate, i love the attention to detail stripping things, cleaning and painting! wish i could do that, i get a bit eager and before i know its to late to paint lol 

Edited by Jonox - 14 Sep 11 at 17:41
www.kombi-nation.co.uk
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 20:06
Cheers Jonox. You are using the golf dash in your van aren't you? I wonder if the golf temp sensor is compatible with the T3 gauge? I'm going to stick with the old ones on mine now I have 3 sender spaces to fill LOL

I'm sure my attention to detail will soon start slipping as the weather gets colder!
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 22:45
 ditch the '3 sender' manifold and go for an earlier 2 hole on maybe?

i have used a mk2 (i think) plastic fannymold on the side of my block (2e) . Black T3 sender fits and wire this in as per T3 to dash/guage. Blue one into ecu wiring. These were/are both 'two' pin type. ECU will only want one signal from temp sender afaik so will be easier when raping loom if you have four pin.

I just used all diesel pipes including header and overflow tanks, and as you have done, ditched aux pump by cutting the pipes down and bridging/connecting them with a £2 motor factors connector.

I think rowlsey tried same idea as your planning but had 'issues' so ditched it in favour of OE T3 stuff. I *guess* no matter what way you package it/listen to debate - T3 standard set up was fitted to work with the rad being higher than tank/size of pipe work for lengths of pipe etc etc etc. Personally i didnt want to run with the 'fill your tank 3/4' school of thought- good enough for the nazis, good enough for me.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 22:54
I'm definately going for the full diesel coolant setup. I was considering trying to modify some of the golf stuff, but it would be a headache. Needs some slight modification to take the 8mm pipe for the inlet manifold heater thingy, but my personal opinion is the less pipe joins the better - less to go wrong. I'm going to be a flash bastard and get new silicone hoses from brickwerks when i've saved enough pennies. 25 year old squidgy rubber pipes scare the crap out of me LOL
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 11 at 20:20
Ive found out that one of the sensors is for coolant temp, then you have the AGG one for the ECU. The other one would be for a Auxilary water pump run on switch, As WBX's dont have them I dont think ill bother fitting the flange with a sensor port on the end of the head, doesnt seem any point. Something else ive bought and not needed!!! Oh well someone will buy it no doubt! Did you get the email with the part number in for the VR6 pipe? For everyone else its a 30mm pipe joiner with an 8 mm take off might be perfect for splicing in the throttle body heater return.  Part number N90723001

Edited by Gtavalanche - 19 Sep 11 at 23:49
I taste Hurty!
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 11 at 22:06
Originally posted by Gtavalanche Gtavalanche wrote:

Ive found out that one of the sensors is for collant temp, then you have the AGG one for the ECU. The other one would be for a Auxilery water pump run on switch, As WBX's dont have them I dont think ill bother fitting the flange with a sensor port on the end of the head, doesnt seem any point. Something else ive bought and not needed!!! Oh well someone will buy it no doubt! Did you get the email with the part number in for the VR6 pipe? For everyone else its a 30mm pipe joiner with an 8 mm take off might be perfect for splicing in the throttle body heater return.  Part number N90723001

I did cheers.

I have two temp senders left over from my WBX??, so i'm just going to stick them both in. if nothing else they will block up the two spare sender ports i have now LOL

If i'd given it more thought in the first place, probably wouldn't have needed either of them Ouch
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 11 at 20:28

Finally some progress!

Engine bay all ready for the AGG now, just waiting for a few bits from the werks, and hopefully will get in this weekend.

Naff photo but nevermind - Also fitted the rear caravelle heater. You can just see the pipes coming through the bulkhead.
Big thanks to ELVIS for actually taking the time to supply all the bits with this, even down to the self tapping screws that hold the cover on. It's always nice not to have to try and source all the missing bits when you buy something off someone Thumbs Up
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 11 at 20:37
No worries chap. i hate getting stiffed on a deal so try not to do it myself.
  Have previously bought loads of 'bargains' over the years only to spend a small fortune replacing the missing bits of the 'complete' item.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 11 at 19:00
Got a few bits done today. Replaced the Crank Oil seal, got the bellhousing ready for fitting, and also made a blanking plate for the oil filler hole in the sump.

On reflection, 4mm stainless may have been a bit overkill LOL

The finished article

A few days ago, I thought I would fit the new braided clutch flexi pipe, but soon realised that the union on the old one was going nowhere! So had to cut the old clutch pipe, and join a new bit on the end.

All being well, the engine and gearbox are going in tomorrow Big smile

Edited by T3Panel - 08 Oct 11 at 19:03
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 11 at 23:21
Hope it all goes well mate. 
I taste Hurty!
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 11 at 23:37
Cheers! Although I have just realised i'm missing the m8 x 16 bolts that hold the friction plate to the flywheel. Fortunately I have some longer ones that I may be able to cut down. I'm not waiting another week to get the engine in!
I can safely say that the worst thing about this conversion has been not having the right bolts... soooo many bolts LOL
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 11 at 21:34
Very productive weekend! The AGG finally leaves the back garden!

Fitted the flywheel, spigot bearing and black diamond clutch

And the engine and gearbox are in! Well nearly - couldn't find the bolt that connects the gearbox to the mount, but ran out of time to hunt around for it today Big smile

Just the exhaust, fuel system, cooling system, gear linkage, wiring, throttle cable, air intake, trailing arms, suspension and rear brakes to go Shocked
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>