The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The T3 Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The T3 Panel
    Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 21:39

It's time I got around introducing my van, so here goes.

Before we get into what the van looks like now, and to provide a bit of an answer to the question 'why on eath would anyone want to put that much effort into a panel van?' here is a bit of history.

My dad was always into Volkswagens, owning beetles, bay windows, a variant etc.

In the late eighties, he got a single cab pickup as a work vehicle, and quickly had the idea of building a temporary cover over the back and camping in it.

Following the success of the pickup, he decided he wanted one of his own.

'The van' as we call it was purchased by my dad in 1992 having done around 5000 miles, and in virtually brand new condition.
It's a 1987 base model 1.9DG in Marsala Red.

His plan was to convert it into a camper. In the meantime he built a temporary platform off the engine bay for a bed, and lined it with sheets. As usually happens, he never quite got round to converting it properly, and we used it in it's temporary state for many family holidays and festivals for years to come.
I also used to get taken to school in the van, and in my teens joined a band, so my dad ended up driving us all around to rehearsals!

Here is the family car park around 1993

Back in 2008, sadly my dad died of cancer. None of the family wanted to sell the van, and fortunately I was in a position to take it on.

It stayed covered up on my drive for many months after getting it home, but finally I started some work on the seams.

having now set a wedding date, I had a deadline to meet to get the van back on the road. My dad couldn't be there, so the van definately had to make an appearance!

First job was to strip out the temporary interior

The inside is in amazing condition. It's never seen a builder in it's life!

Next job was to remove the bulkhead

Got a matching single passenger seat off ebay to replace the bench seat

Fitted a westfalia seat/bed from a bluestar

Then on to the rust....

Front panel had to be replaced as there was a nasty hole on the drivers side. Called Schofields and got a second hand one from a caravelle.

Cutting out the old panel

New panel going in

small repair required

sealing and painting

finally finished and screen back in

1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 21:46
Next panel to be replaced.....

Welding in new panel

prepped for painiting

Next I had a few added extras to fit. Dash out, wiring completed for the Big mirrors, heated rear window, and new alarm

Rev counter dash fitted with uprated bulbs and needles repainted orange

South african lower grill and smoked indicators from brickwerks

1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 22:14
Nice repairs, nice van.

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 22:35
July 2010 - so after months of work, and some more bits including a set of GL door cards, and a new windscreen with built in aerial, I took it for it's MOT, and was pleased to say it passed first time without a single advisory.

A few final preparations and it was all ready for the big day!

Got to the wedding venue and parked up the van in the courtyard. I was pleased just for it to be there, but I was not expecting it to become a bit of an attraction. Various people were sitting in it throughout the day. Those westfalia seats are comfy Wink

Had to get the cheesy wedding photo in LOL

1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 22:44
And finally on to this weekend....

So i've been driving the van around since last july, and it's been great. But it was only a matter of time before I got restless. i ordered a rear disc kit from FUTBUS just before christmas, and I got round to thinking about fitting it recently. However, I thought it was time I painted the underside of the van, as it's really solid, but starting to show signs of some surface rust.

Long story short, looks like i'm now starting on a major mechanical refurbishment. This weekend I've removed the driveshafts, nearly both training arms (one is proving difficult!) dropped the engine and gearbox, and plan to remove the fuel tank, radiator pipes, radiator etc before placing a rather large order with Brickwerks. (don't tell the missusWink )

I've also got some Audi S4 17" alloys to it after it all goes back together!

roll on next weekend!

1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 22:57
Originally posted by tram-man tram-man wrote:

Nice repairs, nice van.
Thanks! My welding is 'amature' to say the least! Nothing has fallen off yet so can't be all bad. Practice makes perfect LOL
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 23:02
The welding is often not the problem but all the preping and forming. Not too keen on all your bricks though. Never had a brick crack and crumble on you?

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 23:10
Originally posted by tram-man tram-man wrote:

The welding is often not the problem but all the preping and forming. Not too keen on all your bricks though. Never had a brick crack and crumble on you?
Fortunately just a temporary measure while i swapped trolley jacks under the engine - the van is fully supported on heavy duty axel stands Wink
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
charlie brown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 23:21
top man,
keep up the good work,
Clap
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 11 at 18:53
Great repairs and a really nice van, will be good to see it back together. Do you have any other pics of the seat bed going in, as I was looking at doing the same but was informed that the camper/caravelle seats wouldn't go into a van.

Thanks
hobbit View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 11 at 19:25
Cracking story fella,and good workClap
Panel vans are getting rare,thats why I dont want to sell mine!!
Bought mine with the inheritance from my dad last year..
rave on in a world of uncertainty
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 11 at 19:26
nice work, keep it up.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 11 at 20:05
Originally posted by richbvw richbvw wrote:

Great repairs and a really nice van, will be good to see it back together. Do you have any other pics of the seat bed going in, as I was looking at doing the same but was informed that the camper/caravelle seats wouldn't go into a van.

Thanks
Hi,

Unfortunately not. I always forget to take 'during' photo's when I get stuck into something.

The main issue with panel vans is that all the right holes are there in the bodywork, but the captive nuts that the bed fittings screw into are not there, so somehow you have to weld in a nut in the right place if you want to fit this kind of seat - The other thing I wasn't aware of at the time is that Bluestar/Multivan seats are not quite full width, as they have side panels that hole the table etc, so I will need to come up with something to fill the gaps down each side of the seat.

There is a better alternative, which I wish I had gone for. Westfalia made a different type of bed that bolted to the floor - The guy I bought this off also had a couple of those, and told me they would be easier in a panel van, but of course I knew best!LOL
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 12:26
Thanks for the info, I had been told they would be too narrow to fit into my van. The other type you mentioned sounds interesting.
I don't suppose you have any contact details for the guy you had yours off.

Cheers
pictonroad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pictonroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 16:01
Love this, that interior shot is amazing, like new!
On the South Coast....
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 23:35
Originally posted by richbvw richbvw wrote:

Thanks for the info, I had been told they would be too narrow to fit into my van. The other type you mentioned sounds interesting.
I don't suppose you have any contact details for the guy you had yours off.

Cheers

I got it off a guy called Tony, through a site called www.thebushaus.com however, it was a couple of years ago now, and the website doesn't seem to have been updated for a long time, so not sure if he is still doing parts or not.

1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 11 at 17:55
nice van! i love that rear bench, does it have storage space under it ? and i presume it folds out in to a bed? or do the seats that would be in front of it make up the rest? 
www.kombi-nation.co.uk
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 11 at 19:21

Thanks Jonox - Yes the seat lifts up and has space for storage. The seat folds down into a full bed, with a foam mattress covering the engine bay. I also have the two fold up buddy seats that go behind the driver and passenger seat, but haven't got round to fitting those yet

1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 11 at 19:29
thats ace! looks proper nice, did you have to build up the back? i was planning on putting all my valves and amps ext at the back and building a little storage around 4inch high or so.

Cheers mate
www.kombi-nation.co.uk
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 11 at 19:38
no, mattress goes directly on top of the engine bay. Think some of the aftermarket beds have storage underneath. There is quite alot of space in the side panels in the load area, i was thinking they would be a good space to build in some storage rather than just covering them over, maybe for a tool kit or something small. bit of an odd shape though!
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>