The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

abs & traction light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: abs & traction light
    Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 21:26
on the way back from the volksworld show sunday my abs and traction light came on while
on the motorway
it goes out below 20mph but comes back on if you go over 12mph

i have put 2 different code readers on it tonight  and there is no stored codes  !

i have also read each wheel speed sensor and there rotation speeds are the same
any body else came across this fault before ?
************bristol t3 racers************
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 05:44
Possibly the dreaded faulty sensor in the ABS unit ?  This is a common fault with certain VAG ABS units.  I think I read about it on the Briskoda forum.

It costs a fortune to buy a complete new OEM unit (and it might still develop the fault later), but I believe some firms have a fix that works properly at a reasonable price.
MrC02 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrC02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 10:09
Have recently had this too. Get a bleeping noise- the handbrake light flashes continuously and the ABS and Traction control light stay on. It kept happening intermittantly for no obvious reason. Took it to Carrs VW in Cornwall- need new ABS module £1000 + fitting..... Currently dont have spare 1k+ so no ABS or traction control for me!

On an unrelated note- the manifold has also just started blowing- another £770 to fix. Not bad on an 06 48k FDSH vehicle. Sheesh! Smile

Edited by MrC02 - 30 Mar 11 at 10:15

T30 AXD Superchipped
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 13:08
Do a bit more research, if it is this problem (G201 faulty pressure sensor in the ABS unit) :

It is possible there are much cheaper solutions than a complete new unit.  It has been such a common fault VAG is even offering a repair kit:
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 17:42
Originally posted by MrC02 MrC02 wrote:

Have recently had this too. Get a bleeping noise- the handbrake light flashes continuously and the ABS and Traction control light stay on. It kept happening intermittantly for no obvious reason. Took it to Carrs VW in Cornwall- need new ABS module £1000 + fitting..... Currently dont have spare 1k+ so no ABS or traction control for me!

handbrake light is flashing as well now  and the dam buzzer keeps sounding
think might smash buzzer with big hammer later  Confused
MrC02 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrC02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 18:26
When you find the buzzer let me know- i wouldn't mind a crack at mine too! Would like to get a recon unit as per greg's post but haven't found a decent indy round here. This means i'm not entirely comfortable leaving the fitting to any of the local greasemonkeys.

T30 AXD Superchipped
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 19:14
http://www.bba-reman.com/

This place may be able to repair your ECU if it is that. They also have a forum which solved the ABS ECU issue on my T4

younger View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 11 at 19:23

mine started with the same problem abs & traction control lights on. got them turned off and ok for a couple of weeks then on saturday again keeped on flashing on & of until came on perminatly then on sunday parking brake light was on, speedo stoped working & fuel gauge faulty. van is in the garage today and seems to be faulty speed sensor Confused

just hope its not too serious as i havent been saving my pocket money Cry
1988 multivan magnum
Chops View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 11 at 20:17
Check your big fuses - if it's on permanently one of them may have gone.

Otherwise you've got four wheel sensors, vehicle speed sensor and brake pedal sensor to look at.  Maybe steering wheel position sensor too.

Get those checked first before even thinking about a new ABS pump.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 11 at 00:04
Sounds lke it's time to read the fault codes with VCDS (or the dealer tool) to see what codes are currently showing - that will definitely help with diagnosis of the underlying fault/s.
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 11 at 20:32
Checked with vagcom today
No fault codes found or stored
But checked the pump values
And all out of parameters
Which means the sensors in the
valve block are faulty :(
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 11 at 21:30
Seems odd that you can still communicate with it, no codes and even the wheel speeds are showing normal.  Did you try the output tests?  That should show up problems in the valve block physically.

There is a good slideshow of how it works on the Ilexa website (I bought my VCDS of them very helpful).  I'll dig out the link.
2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 11 at 21:34

I've run it a few times on my T5 so I know it supports it.  If you want me run mine as a comparison let me know. Smile
2004 2.5 174
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 11 at 13:59
Ahhhhhh the bloody steering wheel has started to
vibrate now when static and turning the wheel
From lock to lock fluid is full and in clean condition
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 11 at 20:40
Originally posted by BUS.BOY BUS.BOY wrote:

Is it a 1.9?
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 00:35
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Is it a 1.9?
yyeess
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 11 at 10:36

Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Is it a 1.9?
yyeess

Then its most likely the tensioner on the PAS pump - this is a common problem on the 1.9s
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 11 at 17:39
***BRAKE FAULT UPDATE***
haveing a read up on the fault and why it happens it seems to be down to a valve in the pump so  i wedged the brake pedal over night with various bits of wood 
and today the light has stayed off all day !
 so i wonder if its air or some grime  stuck in the valve block its self  ??
if it comes back on again i might do a brake fluid change  and see if that helps .

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 00:44
I'm betting it's the faulty sensor in the ABS unit.  Sounds like it might be somewhat intermittent (and problems that come and go are the worst kind of fault - everyone hates them cause they are hard to isolate).
younger View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 17:33

had a call from my garage today, they had an auto electriction look at my 2007 t5 1.9, it looks like the abs unit is faulty and they recomend sending the abs unit of to be repaired. has anyone had any dealings with repaired units ?. hope this will cure the problem and is not a try and see option Shocked

1988 multivan magnum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>