The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Indicator click Noise gone!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indicator click Noise gone!
    Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 01:50
Hi,

Yesterday, the clicking sound heard when indicating has stopped in my T5, I have also noticed the alarm sound when opening the drivers door with the lights on has also gone... any ideas on how to fix this?

I've had a look through the hieroglyphics for the fuses but no luck...

Thanks
Alex
VW T5 2004 1.9TDI SURFBUS
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 02:25
I had a quick look through my list of fuse functions and also couldn't see any obvious candidates.  Is anything else currently AWOL ? eg the warning sound for the seat belt or the radio
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 03:38
Everything else is working just fine, just the indicator sound and the warning buzzer (for lights left on). The indicators flash correctly both on the dash and the exterior... Confused
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 10:47

If the two faults are not linked, the door open alarm not working could be the sensor which is part of the lock.  If they are linked it could be the convenience unit or more likely the well know corroding splice in the wiring to it.  That would be the easiest/cheapest thing to check first anyway.  Smile

Edit- Just had another thought check all the connections under the passenger's seat in case something has been dumped on top of them disconnecting something.

Edited by T5 TDI - 28 Mar 11 at 10:51
2004 2.5 174
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 21:36
i think those sounds come from the rear of the instrument cluster? 
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 03:40
Just checked all the fuses (under passenger seat, in cab and engine) no blown fuses...

Also checked all connections under drivers seat and passenger seat, no change...

Have noticed that the seat belt warning chime has gone too.. (after re-connecting it, i usually have this unplugged anyway)

T5 TDI, where is the convenience unit?

blackvanman, how to I get access to the back of the instrument cluster? Any ideas?

Thanks again
Alex
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 10:04
The convenience unit is under the driver's seat.  It's the wiring that goes to it that often causes problems.  Usually central locking problems but sometimes doing weird things to the indicators too.  The loom runs from the dash and the voltage supply unit behind the dash to the convenience unit so it will feeding lots of different things.

Don't go changing lots of expensive parts without being certain but it's worth untaping the loom to check.  (Energy Solutions posted some pics about it a while back)   I think the instuments cluster does make the various bongs and clicks but the T5 ones do seem more reliable now so the wiring seems a better guess.

If you can get someone with VCDS to scan the instruments, convenience and cent electric controllers it might show up something.   
2004 2.5 174
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 05:27
I just untaped the loom from the convenience unit, about 30cm down there is a splice with a thick red/blue wire, but it seams fine. Is this the problem splice?

This may be a job for VW, but I know it'll cost a small fortune... for a couple of small noises!

Alex
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 09:27

Yes that's the one.  Have a good look at the splice it's not always obvious.  Do the hazards work ok by the way?

2004 2.5 174
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 09:43
The hazards flash, but no noise....

The splice was definitely solid... I gave it a good wiggle etc

Thanks for your help.
Alex
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 13:46
I just had a look round the web and there is an instance of a Touran doing the same as yours so you probably are looking at a dash cluster as Blackvanman said, if that does turn out to be the fault they can sometimes be repaired but it's not something a dealer would do.

Edit- I should have mentioned the guy with the Touran never bothered to report the fix.  Please let us know how you get on with yours.  Thumbs Up 

Edited by T5 TDI - 30 Mar 11 at 16:28
2004 2.5 174
advance View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 21:00
does this convienence unit have something to do with the heater plugs at all????
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 11 at 02:06
No worries, I'll let you know how/if it get's fixed.... nothing worse than a thread with no solution, if someone is looking later with the same problem.

Alex
brianj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 11 at 02:30

This thread talks about possibly a similair thing:  http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f136/strange-behaviour-42184.html

Here is my findings in this thread:
Mine did this again today, but I think I have worked out a simple sequence to sort it out. I had only turned on the ignition and had not started the engine or moved, and was feeling hot so I pressed the aircon button but no light, I verified that the electric windows were also not working.

I turned off the ignition, removed the keys, then opened the drivers door and then manually locked the doors then unlocked them, then closed the drivers door. I then put the keys back in and turned on the ignition, and the aircon light was now working.

At least if this was reliable it would be a work around for the fault.

Brian
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 11 at 10:40
That reminds me of the tricks the voltage supply unit can play when it's faulty. 

My cruise control sometimes stops working 200 miles into a long journey, If I switch it off for a while it comes back to life.  I've checked all the switch positions with VCDS 'live' and they are all working correctly so I think it's a temp related glitch in the voltage control unit.

I'll be really interested to hear what this one turns out to be. Smile

Advance- The convenience unit has no connection to the glow plugs AFAIK.  They are controlled by the ECU mainly using the coolant temp sensor.  Oddly enough I think they the current comes initially from that same voltage control unit (via the glowplug relay).  
2004 2.5 174
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 04:27
Just noticed the beep for the fuel warning light has gone too! 

Think I may have to get this fixed sooner than thought..... 

How do I check connections at the rear of the instrument cluster? Access from under the dash?

If it is the instrument cluster, how much would a replacement be approximately? 

Thanks
Alex
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 20:40
pull steering wheel all the way forward on adjustment lever, put your head on the footwell floor and look up toward the instrument cluster and you will see 2 x torx screw heads, undo these with a long reach screwdriver and pop it out of dash. Very easy to do!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 21:23
Originally posted by blackvanman blackvanman wrote:

pull steering wheel all the way forward on adjustment lever, put your head on the footwell floor and look up toward the instrument cluster and you will see 2 x torx screw heads, undo these with a long reach screwdriver and pop it out of dash. Very easy to do!

Clap  Clap 

Don't forget a new cluster will need coding for whatever your van is equipped with instrument-wise (you can get this off the old cluster via diagnostics before you take it out) also the immobilizer will need to be 'told' that it has a new cluster.  For that you will need your SKG (secret key code) which came with the van.  It's not just a straight swap like in the old days!

None of this is applicable for T5.1 if it uses the later immobilizer.  For that you are are in the hands of a dealer, a seriously clued up auto locksmith or perhaps even a seriously clued up crook who always seem to manage to do the 'impossible' on a regular basis!  LOL  Shocked

Edited by T5 TDI - 08 Apr 11 at 21:47
2004 2.5 174
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 21:52
Thanks again, I'll have a quick look at it for any obvious faults and probably take it to a dealer to be changed if neccesary...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 11 at 07:43
them guys at 'lazee dayz ' can upgrade ur cluster for you to give more info, worth googling them and asking as they can change it and give u something xtra aswell!? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>