The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Temp sensor wiring to glow plug relay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temp sensor wiring to glow plug relay
    Posted: 14 Feb 11 at 09:57

Can anyone shead some light on this for me (or dash LED more like). My glow plug light isn't wired up and the temp sensor isn't wired up either. Which I believe could be the reason why my engine doesn't start very well and is smoking when cold (glow plugs not turning off when temp is reached). The sensors I think are from a different year and not the single connection one. Does anyone know how to wire them up? Is it a case of 1 is to ground and the other is the the relay (T teminal). Here'a pic of the sensors.

I've read the definitive smokey engine thread and following the steps as best i can and want this set up properly before moving onto the shims/buckets. thanks in advance
ZsZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZsZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 11 at 19:34
what is the color of the sensors?
should be black or green(?) one pin to the signal one is to the ground.
signal wire should be blue/white (to glow plug relay 1/T pin)
if the sensor is not connected the glow plugs will work always before start, not depending on motor temperature.
As I have figured out if the dash led not connected, then the relay will not switch off after 8 sec.
Spyke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 11 at 11:41
Hi Zsz, the sensors are black but will have to check if they are working or not as they haven't been connected to the van for a couple of years (probably since it went in on 2008). I need to check to see if the LED is working ok as I've tried wiring it roughtly through the sensor but still not working.
aberdeenbus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aberdeenbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 11 at 13:00
North Sea - Artic Ocean by a different name Aberdeen - place is full of Polar bears nicking peoples bloody scarves
aberdeenbus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aberdeenbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 11 at 13:01
Hi

these two pages helped me set mine up

Cheers
Si

Edited by aberdeenbus - 15 Feb 11 at 13:02
North Sea - Artic Ocean by a different name Aberdeen - place is full of Polar bears nicking peoples bloody scarves
 Post Reply Post Reply