The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 2.5TDI 102 power upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 2.5TDI 102 power upgrades
    Posted: 04 Feb 11 at 22:14
Whilst the van is off the road (courtesy of the DVLA and a missing log book) I thought I'd sort out a few bits and pieces.

I intend to flash it which will bump up my torque & power but I've been thinking about how to get more power.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the exact difference between a 102 & a 150 engine. Is it just a case of bigger injectors and a different map or is the intercooler bigger?

Is it possible to fit a bigger intercooler in the front of a T4 (long nose) and how beneficial will the gains be?

Was also going to blank off the EGR which I know will help but wondered if anyone makes a replacement pipe to get rid of the whole EGR gubbins and make the airflow better without the inherent restrictions to airflow?

Finally my airbag steering wheel looks just like the (nicer) leather one in my passat B5.5 and I wondered are they the same? Do they have the same splines, depth etc to swop with other stuff like passat, golf etc?

Thanks for the help, might as well use the month Eek i've got to sort out as much as possible.
Drop in late but show up early
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 11 at 22:25
150BHP Different Injectors & Map + FO Size intercooler in front of Rad.

Fits easily in Long Nose or get custom built one (Cheaper )

Replace EGR with Power Pipe

I'd just blank it meself

Some Folks have seen 160+ BHP altho bit smokey Happen

Quite a Few have had Clutch Slippage issues but may be down to their driving styles     

Dunno bout Steering wheel TBH     

Edited by Desp Dan - 04 Feb 11 at 22:27
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 11 at 23:41
Cheers Dan

Don't mean to be dumb but what does FO mean?

As far as trashing clutches goes, mines an auto so does anyone think that it will cause problems, especially if I get power figures up to around 160bhp.

Is fitting the intercooler a big job? Does it replace the existing one sat on top of the engine or is it in addition too?

Cheers
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 00:15
Got the same van as you...except a short nose.
Replace the air-filter (I've got an "Induction Kit" on mine).
Just blank the EGR. (If Brickies does this for you, he also removes the whole assembly and cleans it in his "bath" )
Buy a good exhaust system from Brickwerks....I got the twin outlet oval system...No CAT.
Go to Martin at Pendle and get it set properly (he set mine to allow for the -20C we often see in Norway).
Whatever you do...BHP is not important with the Auto box...it'll take the V6 200+ BHP no problem...BUT....WATCH the Torque...MAX 290Nm..and you can get that from a 2.5TDi at around 160BHP (I think?!?!?! )

Bottom line....MY van flies now...and I've backed off thinking about the bigger injectors due to the torque limit on the auto-box.
Diablodub View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
mehcedes...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablodub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 09:28
Proper remap inc egr disabled ( pendle performance ) , decat pipe , remove rear box or replace exhaust with summat decent ( brickwerks stainless ).
Mines an auto and now produces 140bhp.
brick-yard splitters breakaway judean peoples front cheesy toss wank - Member No 1
07974 787780 - Stu

Sunny Stockport-Cheshire

Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 11:45
Originally posted by Aspo13 Aspo13 wrote:

Cheers Dan

Don't mean to be dumb but what does FO mean?

As far as trashing clutches goes, mines an auto so does anyone think that it will cause problems, especially if I get power figures up to around 160bhp.

Is fitting the intercooler a big job? Does it replace the existing one sat on top of the engine or is it in addition too?

Cheers

1, FO = Fuck Off Size = Massive
2, Read Norwegian Megnut's Post Tis Not BHP tis Torques that limit you
   He Sez
3, Dunno never done one but it Replaces the Factory one on the Engine.
   Personally I would'nt bother meself but each to their own.
   Stu's got about 140BHP, I've Got 130BHP + with EGR Blank,
   Stainless Exhaust, K&N Panel Filter, All without costly injectors Tis more than enough after all
   It's a Fookin Van    
Pie n' Bacon Meister
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 12:41

I would steer clear of k+n style filters, they are a sure fire way to maf failure and are as useful at filtering as a sieve. i seem to remember reading that the tdi filter is bigger than the rs4 filter, plenty of airflow there me thinks!

I have fitted a sierra cosworth intercooler to my 1.9 tdi just below the number plate, others have fitted t5 or lt intercoolers in front of the rad on short nose vans, requires some modifications, plenty to read on vwt4forum.

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 13:06
pretty sure baxters fitted the 150 intercooler to his van, its not just the cooler but the extra plumbing bits too. iirc the whole kits not cheap.

i would do all the decat, egr blank etc before getting it mapped too.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 13:07
"think" 150s had different box too
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 14:04
Last year coming through Germany, with the van loaded like this:

Managed to get a pic of the dashboard at an exciting time:

AND....still averaged over 40 MPG for the 2000 mile tripBig smile

Biggest smile-maker is leaving a service-station and easily hitting German Autobahn speeds before running out of slip-road!
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 15:19
Originally posted by mallott mallott wrote:

I would steer clear of k+n style filters, they are a sure fire way to maf failure and are as useful at filtering as a sieve. i seem to remember

Sorry been running one for 3 years & 40,000 miles without problems on my T4 & all my motors have run K&N filters in one form or another without any MAF issues for the last 10 years or so.
They are'nt everyones cup of tea but they work for me & many others.

Another one to Add to the Urban Myth list

(CORRECTLY OILED there are'nt any issues )

Edited by Desp Dan - 05 Feb 11 at 15:30
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 15:22
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

pretty sure baxters fitted the 150 intercooler to his van, its not just the cooler but the extra plumbing bits too. iirc the whole kits not cheap.
i would do all the decat, egr blank etc before getting it mapped too.

You aint wrong Jase

Its Mashooove

& the intercooler is big n' all
Pie n' Bacon Meister
JB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 19:35
My 2p's worth..
Started out at 88hp. Now quite a lot more. I did -
Decat, Custom side exhaust, EGR blank, big injectors, intercooler, remap. In roughly that order.
To be honest I'd not go quite as far as this with the next one - it goes quite well enough, as fast as most fast-ish cars. It's a van! I do rather enjoy the clutch shredding torque, but I'd rather not spend too much on clutches.
I'd not bother touching the airbox, it works quite well till you get to silly numbers. The exhaust seems to make a difference, The injectors made a huge difference, the remap made it run properly. To be honest, a decent remap is probably all you need, they seem to get 130 odd horses reliably and unless you do a lot of DIY or have lots of spare cash or both it's the easiest way to smile when you drive.
If it ain't broke - fix it till it is..
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 22:28
Lov'in these opinions!

Thanks guys, I'm sure some of it is sinking in Smile

Just what sort of figures (£) are we talking to get all the intercooler kit for a 150 and is it something that can be found off the shelf?

The guy's at Protune reckon on approx 305NM of torque so just exactly how long is my auto box going to last if I give it the beans away from the lights LOL.

Am I right in thinking that the geneal opinion is that blanking the EGR is sufficient and theres no need to actually replace the pipe with the 'power pipe' kind of stuff?

For arguements sake I don't bother with the bigger injectors but still go for a FO big intercooler, EGR blank/power pipe, decat pipe (cant afford the full exhaust at moment) and then flash it when this work is done should I reasonably be expecting about 140bhp?

Thanks 
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 11 at 05:57
Yes,

Depends on how much Black smoke you wanna put up with, Mine did have a map giving 137BHP but was quite smoky on Full Chat so we backed it off to 130BHP. (That's with std intercooler)
Baxter has one fitted to his & it aint Cheap, You be better spending the money on a Rear ARB so it handles better IMHO.

The difference between 102 & 130/140BHP is like night & day Chap.
Fair play to those with 150+ & I've been in Bananavan's (Jims) motor & it's fooking ACE but 130 is enough for me.
Nice Balance of Power/Torque & Economy.
Show/Go & Handling is what it's about for me

Click on Link below Chap

GULFWAGEN REMAP

Edited by Desp Dan - 06 Feb 11 at 06:04
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 11 at 15:04
Any ideas on where to get the 150bhp inter-cooler, maybe Baxter could shed some light on it for me!

Also answers about whether the 150 did have a different auto box.

Just started collecting all the bits & bobs for the stuff I want to do to it.

Just off to order my de-cat pipe & EGR block off. Big smile 
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 11 at 20:26
Originally posted by Desp Dan Desp Dan wrote:

Originally posted by mallott mallott wrote:

I would steer clear of k+n style filters, they are a sure fire way to maf failure and are as useful at filtering as a sieve. i seem to remember

Sorry been running one for 3 years & 40,000 miles without problems on my T4 & all my motors have run K&N filters in one form or another without any MAF issues for the last 10 years or so.
They are'nt everyones cup of tea but they work for me & many others.

Another one to Add to the Urban Myth list

(CORRECTLY OILED there are'nt any issues )

Having worked for and been good friends with a very large sw tuners for many years i can assure you that they are a killer for mafs, you have been lucky! interesting reading on tdiclub here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373 and i'm pretty certain they know what they are talking about!

Crack on with your k+ns though someones got to keep em in business.

mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 11 at 20:57
maybe this is worth a read too for those thinking of a k+n

dp67bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp67bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 11 at 22:08

like jase said baxter has done this on his van , just found the thread

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 11 at 01:37
has anyone fitted a charge cooler rather than an intercooler...

as i would think a much easier option for a t4..
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>