The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flashing red coolant light help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flashing red coolant light help
    Posted: 22 Jan 11 at 16:30
OK I am now really confused as have run out of ideas.

My problem is the red coolant light started flashing even though the temperature gauge was sitting just above the quarter scale marque and occasionally stops flashing for short periods.

I thought at first it might be the thermostat so changed it for a genuine VW one and checked it in a pot of hot water as I did the old one and both opened. I still had the above same problem with the bottom hose only getting warm rather than hot. It does not boil the water and as I say the indicator stays in the normal range.

I have given the whole system a flush twice, I have changed the coolant level sensor for a spare one that I had.

I also recently changed the injectors and tested the compression whilst I was at it and all pots came up with the same reading so I'm sure its not the head gasket and I also don't loose any water.

If I take the thermostat out there is no flashing red light and the temp gauge doesn't come out of the first quarter of the gauge.

As I say I have run out of ideas and parts to change.
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 11 at 17:51
Are you loosing coolant ??

LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 11 at 18:15
Not a drop and its not boiling
hugo151 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 11 at 22:30
are you filling it up enough ?
1991 diesel swb low roof panel van LT35. 171k
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 11 at 23:50
Yes it doesn't flash on start its only later when it starts to get warm, but as I say the needle stays in the normal range. Its very confusing and even spoke to a AA man tonight and it confused him too all be it after a few pints Smile
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 11 at 20:15
Could be a bad earth or a wire breaking down 

miserable fooker

t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 11 at 20:18
in fact buy this and rule out the sender

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/exhaust-mounts-and-water-level-sender_topic61568.html

miserable fooker

psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 11 at 16:50
OK had another play today checking wiring etc, changed a few dodgy connections but still the same.

I then disconnected all sensors on the head and the expansion tank and the red light is still flashing. At least I know for certain now it is a false indication and the needle can be trusted.

I have just changed the coolant level relay and will be taking for plating tomorrow so fingers crossed. If not then it has to be between the fuse box and dash.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 11 at 09:59
Originally posted by psion psion wrote:

I then disconnected all sensors on the head and the expansion tank and the red light is still flashing. At least I know for certain now it is a false indication and the needle can be trusted.

It may be still flashing as a warning that sensors are disconnected? I'll unplug mine later and let you know if that causes a flash...

I'd say you'd be safe to trust the needle though, as that is less likely to give sudden problems. I might have a spare gauge circuit in my box of bits so will check and let you know. It does sound like it is being too sensitive to the temperature at which it thinks it should warn you of overheating!

Edited by mat_the_cat - 28 Jan 11 at 10:01
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 11 at 23:28
Just had a check - unplugged mine when it was running and no flashing, so that theory out the window then!LOL

I do have a spare gauge if it turns out to this at fault.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 11 at 10:18

Thanks for trying that and the relay made no difference.

I'm fine for spares thanks I bought a whole other truck and scrapped it for spares, best think I ever done as my shed is now like a VW spares department, it even had 6 spanking new tyres.
rowiandasa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowiandasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 11 at 10:42
Mine worked fine untill i over filled the expansion tank one day, basically once the engine came upto temp the flashing light came on. i pulled over and drained some off some coolant to the correct level and the light then went off.
however the light now comes on at start up and remains on all the time regardless of temp needle position! i managed to pick up a later lt engine cover with twin inspection hatches which makes checking water level a dam sight easier than wrestling with the drivers seat and cover!

1986 LT31 LWB High Top Diamond RV 6cly Diesel

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 11 at 22:24
The coolant light is a warning for more than one thing

It can mean there is a problem with the coolant pressure
It can mean the coolant is too hot
It can mean the level is too high or too low

A false reading could be caused by an airlock over one of the senders...
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 11 at 01:48
My 2 bolt connection at the top of the block had a slightly melted (deformed) bit of plastic and the O-ring deformed so it lost a bit of coolant when under pressure and that made the light blink. Took a while to find problem as it was only under high revs that the leak occurred. 
serenity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 11 at 17:08
Have exactly the same flashing light, investigated for faults but nothing apparently serious going on, coolant systems fine, have had no problems. My suggestion, trust the needle, get used to the flashing.
PRODIGY69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRODIGY69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 11 at 12:03
my van is the same does my head in , has anyone found a cure yet thanks
SMARTY
PRODIGY69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRODIGY69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 11 at 12:33
mine flashes from very beginning and dont stop, not sure what to do can you replace the sensor on the lt31 1993 or do i have to change the tank
SMARTY
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 11 at 13:31
Mine still blinks and the coolant level sits just below the sensor. As there is no real problem, I believe, with keeping the level where it is, I pay no attention any more. Temp never goes much above the middle of the gauge anyway.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
PRODIGY69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRODIGY69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 11 at 12:31
also found out that when the van gets to a certain tempature the light goes out, the temp needle is half way is that ok, changed temp expantion tank sensor today but sill the same ,
SMARTY
camperdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camperdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 11 at 14:15
mine yesterday suddenly came on, hadnt been driving long. temp gauge never moved, turn off left it 15 min and hey presto never came on again..

how far and how accurate the temp gauge is i dont know, only done about 30 miles in my van since i have had it. and its totally diff to my old T3.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>