The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 Ignition switch replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illzlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 Ignition switch replacement
    Posted: 21 Jan 11 at 19:38
right, after reading a few posts about what may be needed to do this i thought i would share my experience.

this ain't a guide, just a few pics and my way of doing it!

If your t4 won't start occassionally, dont rule out the simple ignition switch as its quite cheap to sort and relatively easy to do.

When trying to diagnose the starting trouble with my 2.4d i went through a new battery and nearly bought a new alternator. When i put the van on charge or used a booster pack, it would seem to start more easily - although in reality i have realised i was angrily twisting the key!

If you find that you need to twist your key quickly and forcefully or have to press down as you turn your switch is probably mullered.

I bought a new one from VW at 26 quid but i'm told they can be bought more cheaply from Euro car parts or gsf.

When searching for a 'how to' in old posts there were a few people saying the shear bolts need removing to free the ignition housing from the steering column and even use gear pullers to get it off! This is very daunting to the ambitious but rubbish diy'er. But not how i did it...

Remove the plastic cowls from around the steering column (3 screws on my early van)

Remove the plastic wiring plug from the bottom of the ignition switch and get yer head in the footwell looking up...

what you may be able to see is a small screw head which actually holds the switch in place...
(nb this is a 1991 van, some people say theirs was a hex drive bolt - maybe later vans? anyway read on)

...now try as i might i could not get any screw driver from a 2" stubby to a 4ft monster in any direction on this chuffer. So whether you have a pozi screw or a allen/hex bolt get the corresponding screwdriver bit and hold it in place with one hand. Get a small open ended spanner or pliers and pressing tightly with both - undo the screw.

The switch will drop out easily and allow you to replace the new unit. Do up the screw as tight as you can and fix the wiring plug.

Now, try and start your van - mine fired easily and has done ever since (be careful doing it now, as it will start with a delicate turn of the key!)

There you go, it might work for you instead of chiselling out shear bolts and take about half an hour with all the stuff to hand.

Wink
slowly becoming a collector of non-rare, non-special and non-collectable VW's!
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 11 at 20:05
GREAT tip! Thanks for that.
(Took the garage 2 hours to change mine...but under warranty). LOL

You can actually buy (for a couple of quid), a ratchet spanner to fit the std quarter inch bits that fit 'drivers.....I got one and it's SOOOO useful in tight places.
It also has a "thumb-pad" that you can press on to hold it in place whilst you turn the screw/spanner.
"Think" it was from ScrewFix, but could have been Maplins....it was over 6 years ago I bought it.
lardyb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lardyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 11 at 21:20
same as the polo switch which I've just done. total bitch on the polo as the whole steering column has to come out.

the switch was only £7:50 delivered from ebay though
 Post Reply Post Reply