The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

towing a car trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HackneyAJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackneyAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing a car trailer
    Posted: 13 Jul 17 at 13:54
Reading this post I thought I would find out exactly what I can tow. I have a VW T3 caravelle 1990

on your vehicle you have a plate with the GVW (gross vehicle weight laden) mine is 2400 kilos and you have a MAM (Maximum authorised mass) which is 3900 kilos it will give you the axle maximum weights as well for mine its front 1200 kilos rear 1300 kilos.

I have just taken my vehicle to a weigh bridge and my vehicle weighs 1790 kilo's which means I can tow a trailer and load of 2110 kilo's as a combined weight to make up my maximum of 3900 kilos.

the next thing you need to understand is the towing laws have changed if you hold a licence before 1997 you will have grandfather rights on your licence and you will be able to tow a trailer of over 750 kilos if not you can only tow a trailer of max 750 kilo's unless you take a test to add the E part to your licence there are also maximum lengths and weights associated with any trailer which can be found on the VOSA and DLA websites.

as a class 1 licence holder I wish you all happy and legal towing.
Synkraut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synkraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 09:49
Christoph Boltze Clap provided us with the Volkswagen documents in the IG16" Forum. Here's the link to the 18 Page document: http://www.vwpix.org/zip/AHK-Freigabe.zip
It's zipped, and on the last page you'll find a table with the syncros that were permitted to tow 2500 kg - hope it helps.

Greets, André
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 11 at 11:13
Originally posted by Synkraut Synkraut wrote:

Hi,
I'm new here and I know this is an old fred, but it is possible to pull up to 2.500 kg legally with a T3 syncro. Volkswagen permitted this for some Syncros at least (I could provide VWs technical specs (German version) , but I don't seem to be able to attach them here). With this as a reference, quite a few syncro-drivers here in Germany (including me Smile) have been able to officially upgrade to 2,5 tons. I always thought technical regulations were less strict in GB so why shouldn't it work there?

Greetings

André

hi, it would be good if you could post those specs somehow..i have heard of syncros being "re plated" to 2500kgs but no idea how to go about it in the uk, also it seems often different load rating are given dependant on the % of graidient likly to be encountered...how are you supposed to know if there is a hill on a route in advance?! and unless you are acctually pulled on that hill by VOSA then no proof of any offence i spose.

anyway im now happy with putting a t3 behind my syncro and will be doing so in the future, the"G" gear is very handy with a trailer in tow as there is no need to fry the clutch setting off, and the t3 is a cabable tow vehicle if a little underpowered in standard form..  
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 23:45
because nobody in authority has a bloody clue what they`re supposed to be doing. LOL
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
Synkraut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synkraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 11:02
Hi,
I'm new here and I know this is an old fred, but it is possible to pull up to 2.500 kg legally with a T3 syncro. Volkswagen permitted this for some Syncros at least (I could provide VWs technical specs (German version) , but I don't seem to be able to attach them here). With this as a reference, quite a few syncro-drivers here in Germany (including me Smile) have been able to officially upgrade to 2,5 tons. I always thought technical regulations were less strict in GB so why shouldn't it work there?

Greetings

André

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 23:36
ok ta, yeah up to 75 kg nose weight so will aim for 50kgs ish and shuffle it about to balance it, checked today and the LT35 is max trailer wieght of 2 ton as well.

kooldubs View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M STILL HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooldubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 20:34
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

and you were in a 2wd with a camper on a trailer behind!  

i was in my 2wd velle, with a twin wheel trailer and a doka on the trailer...
i have also done the same tow witha hightop camper on the trailer....

make sure when you load them on to the trailer that you put it on in reverse because of the wieght of the engine and box  in the back....if you dont the ass end of the trailer becomes to heavy and you get what happened to rowsley..snaking..

Edited by kooldubs - 19 Jan 11 at 20:34
86 t3 doka & 2001 T4 2.5 TDI
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 11 at 18:30
Originally posted by Cliffbase Cliffbase wrote:

Careful, you could be towing too much too. the limit for a Shogun is 3300kg as i recall. The most you can get from a car/4x4 is 3500 with a Defender.

i brought the doka back with my 90 and i nearly lost it on the m6! serious tail wag!!!! couldnt go over 45 after i stopped to check my pants! scares the fuck outta you!LOL

UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 20:41
HMMM. I my original question was can i legally tow a pick up on a trailer with a T3, looking suprised is all well and good but wont stop vosa impounding the lot and ruining my day/life/bank balance.

im towing it abouT30 miles on roads i dont know to well and mostly motorway so it needs to be right i think, not bothered if its mega safe etc but do want fully legal (for a change Wink)

so it looks like my best bet is the LT 35 but not looked at its tow weight yet, i did tow a polo on the same trailer with the syncro last week and it performed very well, "g" gear is great for manouvering and getting goin on hills etc, i have looked at a t5 and max tow weight is 2500 kgs on them, so surely the LT will be a bit more still?
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 12:51

I know I'm towing too much. I just practice my look of shock and surprise in the event of a tug, just in case. Either that or purposely not drive on the roads where Vosa stop people.Wink

Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 12:46

[/QUOTE]

Yes. I regularly pull between 3 and 4 tons with my SWB shogun. You've just to make sure your brakes are up to it, but it is absolute torture on the thing.
[/QUOTE]

Careful, you could be towing too much too. the limit for a Shogun is 3300kg as i recall. The most you can get from a car/4x4 is 3500 with a Defender.
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 11 at 09:24

my van is 1600 kgs, ish
pick up is 1500kgs ish
trailer is about 500kgs.
max trailer weight in the t3 owners manual is 2000kg.

Based on this it seems fine.

...as i passed my test in 1990 i can tow up to about 8 tom MAM

Only if your vehicle is plated to 8 ton MAM. Exceeding the max gross weight (MAM) if pulled will end you up in bother

but is the the towing vehicle ok to be less heavy than the trailer and load combination legally?

Yes. I regularly pull between 3 and 4 tons with my SWB shogun. You've just to make sure your brakes are up to it, but it is absolute torture on the thing.
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 11 at 21:33
is this set up legall?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 11 at 21:18
and you were in a 2wd with a camper on a trailer behind! the 2wd max tow weight is only 1800kgs so really baffled now!

i will be purely personal use, no reward etc  
kooldubs View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M STILL HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooldubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 11 at 20:51

good news, so when vosa pulled you did they take you a wiegh bridge?

yes.. pulled me off the m5 and then took me to a weighbridge..
wigster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 11 at 20:41
then, dont forget, if your doing it for hire/reward or the vehicle is registered for business, you will need a tachograph...tis a minefield, as for a roadside VOSA interview! no thankyou sir, they have a problem they do..
pug powered 1.9tdi t3 velle
1.9tdi t5 swb panel
audi a6 avant tdi sport
crf 450 supermoto
RC31
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 11 at 20:03
good news, so when vosa pulled you did they take you a wiegh bridge?

this is what i do know so far,

my van is 1600 kgs, ish
pick up is 1500kgs ish
trailer is about 500kgs.
max trailer weight in the t3 owners manual is 2000kg.

the law is as confusing as fuck but it seems that as i passed my test in 1990 i can tow up to about 8 tom MAM but is the the towing vehicle ok to be less heavy than the trailer and load combination legally?

vw must think so coz you cant get a t3 over 2 tons from them! 
kooldubs View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M STILL HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooldubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 11 at 19:18
i have towed car trailers with our t3 velle with either a doka or camper on the trailer all over the country it feels like..and like i said vosa passed mine with flying colours...ask them if your unsure of weights
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 11 at 18:45
sounds expensive! i have towed a good few car trailer in the past but not as close to the upper limit as this thats all, dont want to get bummed by vosa etc on my way back.

will the lt be man (van) enuf? its still not that heavy.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 11 at 18:10
or better still get someone with transportation experiance and get them to get your new toy?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>