The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Instrument Cluster On/off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtux20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instrument Cluster On/off
    Posted: 10 Jan 11 at 14:05

Hi,

On my way to work today my 2005 T5 Instrument cluster turned off including the instruments themselves (speedo, rev counter). The heater controls remained illuminated for a period and turn on/off independantly to the instrument cluster.

It appears that when I press the clutch or brake I am able to get the dash to turn back on intermittently, but there is definately a relationship between the pedal movement and on/off of the dash - does the wiring loom run near by?

At this moment I have the dash on but my indicators are not working? If I remember correctly it was upon indicating that the dash first went off, a clue maybe?

Cheers

Dan
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 11 at 14:33
Possibly a faulty brake light switch ?  It seems to be able to cause all sorts of problems to T5s (although I don't recall reports of it doing exactly this).
drtux20 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtux20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 11 at 17:36
A little update for those that may be able to help:

My earlier post stated that when I dipped the clutch or touched the brake the cluster came back on. This is incorrect!
It is in fact when engine is idleing. The moment I press the throttle the instrument cluster goes off. The indicators and wiper blades are also intermittently affected. Why is this? Engine vibration to a poor connector?

Any clues?

Dan
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 11 at 23:17

The main wiring loom runs above the pedals and the large metal dash support bar, and the loom has a tendency of rubbing through and shorting out causing all sorts of electrical problems try checking your fault as you wiggle the loom about

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 11 at 17:58
Great info MT!  Clap   Always good to hear from the 'sharp end'... 
2004 2.5 174
drtux20 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtux20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 11 at 19:48
Classic!
All ideas are welcome no matter how "sharp"!

When I start the van the instrument panel is on and working, indicators intermittent and wipers intermittent. I touch the accelerator and I here a "click" from within the drivers footwell region and the instrument panel goes off.

I havent investigated much further at this time but when the weather improves and I have some daylight I will get in there...
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 11 at 21:44

I was referring to the fact that MT is a VW tech so he does nothing but fix these kind of faults on VW's all day. Smile  

It's worth a look at the throttle pedal area when you can get to it especially around the throttle position sensor and of course the wiring MT mentions.  
2004 2.5 174
drtux20 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtux20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 11 at 14:10
Ive just returned to my van to start investigating and the battery is flat. The van has been parked for 3 days and I havent had any battery issues to date.

Could a weak battery have caused the initial failure? Or has the initial failure drained the battery?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 11 at 17:57
I'd definately look at MT's suggestion first. It sounds a pretty good possibility to me.   A short could have led to a flat battery.  It's important not to leave any possible shorts since they can lead to a fire.   If the engine is running at the time it's unlikely to be a  battery fault causing the problem.

Edited by T5 TDI - 14 Jan 11 at 18:00
2004 2.5 174
drtux20 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtux20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 11 at 18:45
What are your thoughts on the voltage regulator not working?
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 11 at 18:57

The very first step to diagnose the problem should be to check with a current meter for a drain of some fashion

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 11 at 19:02
I don't think there is a voltage regulator/stabilizer for the instruments like old Minis had.  It pays to look for the easy things and known faults first. 
2004 2.5 174
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 11 at 20:52
T5 is right there isnt a stabilizer anymore welcome to the wonderful world of the control unit Confused best way to check is to have the van running pull down the under dash trims from around the pedals and carry out the "wiggle test" on the large loom above the pedals and see if you can induce the faults that you have been getting
drtux20 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtux20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 11 at 14:42
Cheers for all your help so far.

I put the battery on charge over night - put it in my van this morning and nothing, no instrument lights etc. Measured the battery and it gave me 0.5V !! Hmmm, could a dieing battery started all of this?

I will jump the van off my car but I think its pretty conclusive that I will need a new battery if its dropped that low!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 11 at 18:00
A low battery can mess up the display on starting, but once the van is running that shouldn't be relevent unless the alternator is knackered as well.  I think it's more likely the short has run an already weak battery so low it's died. 
2004 2.5 174
drtux20 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtux20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 11 at 18:36
Problem found!
It was indeed the voltage regulator on the alternator. It was supplying 17.5v to the battery so that is ruined also.

Makes sense though, apply throttle, alternator kicks in and the electrics go off. They must be protected other than fused??
The alternator was drawing 3amps when parked, all now removed and under inspection.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 11 at 21:23
I'd still get them to check for that short before the new alternator goes in just to be on the safe side in case it was that that blew up the alternator in the first place. 
2004 2.5 174
wabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 11 at 13:24
Hi Dan, I had a problem with my T5 04 plate a few weeks ago, I was driving down the road and all my instrument lights went out my rev counter and indicaters stopped working the only thing that would still work was the heater blower.
It turned out to be the altanator that was putting out to much voltage, i replaced the altanator and that solved the problem,
it might be worth checking it.
Regards, John 
drtux20 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtux20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 11 at 14:06
Hi John, that's exactly what was wrong with mine. I managed to replace just the voltage regulator but the high voltage output knackered my battery so I had to get a new one of those too.

Thanks for your post John.

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply