The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oh joy... another fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 22:50

The way your T5.1 has performed so far (problem after problem) wouldnt make me want to rush out and buy one - quite the opposite in fact....

Have you had any issues Tony? Or are you so engrossed in Sportline searches that the dash could be flashing like a christmas tree and you wouldnt notice?LOL
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 22:52
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

The way your T5.1 has performed so far (problem after problem) wouldnt make me want to rush out and buy one - quite the opposite in fact....

Have you had any issues Tony? Or are you so engrossed in Sportline searches that the dash could be flashing like a christmas tree and you wouldnt notice?LOL

Mine is going in on Weds because the rear door badge came off when I washed it. There is a slight hesitation when accelerating downhill so they are going to look at that too. Nothing to be concerned about.
I've been training mine to go fast too, like Kawolsky. It'll do 108mph which is 10 more than the book says. I'm quite pleased with it actually, but don't tell my old Sportline that if you see it on the road.

Edited by Tony M - 03 Jan 11 at 22:54
Poo IS funny.
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 23:21
Does anyone remember Fiftypence and the grief that he had with very early first gen T5... They sorted the problems eventually but his was always a box of shit
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 00:07

Does it have a DSG gearbox ?  I was reading a thread on VW Watercooled forum about a faulty DSG that was over-riding the driver's input on accelerator and gear selection (but his didn't do a limp-home).

I hope you/VW find the problem and can fix it.

BTW I believe the "Thrashing it all the time will fix/prevent DPF and turbo problems" advice that is frequently peddled as the cure for many TDI engine problems is bullshit !

Driving flatout wherever possible is only going to produce more soot. More soot is going to clog up the DPF sooner rather than later. Even after a regeneration some soot is left behind (smaller residual particles). Eventually these residual particles will PERMANENTLY block the DPF and it will need to be replaced (or removed with a remap).  Full accelerator from low revs is the worst for soot production (look at any turbo TDI that doesn't have a DPF to see what I'm taliking about).

This misconception seems to be partially based on the need to have the revs above 1,800-2,000rpm to allow a regeneration to happen, but simple steady cruising at these revs will allow an effective regen, there is no need to rag your engine to do it.

That said, there is a one legitimate reason to use full accelerator from about 1,500rpm every now and then - it exercises the turbos variable vanes (VNT) through their full range of movement.  But this only needs to be done once or twice per drive to be effective.  Some TDIs that are always driven very gently at low revs will allow a build up of soot to jam/stick the vanes in the "low rev/max boost" position, then if they do get a welly properly planted the boost suddenly gets too high at about 2,000rpm and the ECU kills the fun to protect the engine - the dreaded "limp home" mode.  But you don't need to drive like a madman all the time to avoid the problem, just every now and then will do the trick.

Sorry to take away your excuses chaps, but being a creative lot I'm sure you'l be able to come up with some other rationalisations for your "testing on private roads/runaways".

Edited by gregozedobe - 04 Jan 11 at 00:25
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 00:37
Do you think "Just wanting to piss off a 4 cylinder van driver" qualifies as a reasonable excuse?
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 14:13
OK by me, but I find the "accelerate up a steep hill when a Korean shitbox sedan/hatch has moved into the overtaking lane next to you, and then leave them for dead as the hill gets steeper" is also deeply satisfying (especially when you can hear them redline their engine in 3rd and they still can't make any headway).  I know it is immature, but hey, over here the speed cameras and radar are nearly always set up on downhills and the flats, so uphills are a bit safer Big smile

Remember you DO need to exercise the turbo vanes every now and then (just not all the time).

Edited by gregozedobe - 04 Jan 11 at 14:15
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 17:06
I've just picked up a 140 Kombi  courtesy van. I don't think it's much nippier than my 102.
Poo IS funny.
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 17:15
i,ve got a 140 DSG loan van... never driven one before, better than i imagined.

apparently mine has a faulty EGR valve....... and.... there's a modified one which they've ordered."KNOWN FAULT" on the GP....... SO RECALL THE VANS YOU'VE SOLD AND REPLACE THE FAULTY ONES!!!
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 19:40
EGRs, DPFs etc are all purely to please tree huggers and are only useful for holding down other rubbish in the skip that might blow away

This problem aint unique to VW, my father in laws Land Rover has had both EGRs replaced and my brother in laws Transit is having EGR woes at present

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
edwyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 21:03
hi i am quite new to this is your van a 5 cyl and do you have what appears to be lag under 2000 rpm? van not pulling well.
eddy
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 21:10
Originally posted by edwyn edwyn wrote:

hi i am quite new to this is your van a 5 cyl and do you have what appears to be lag under 2000 rpm? van not pulling well.
No  ......................        no
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 11 at 15:20
Originally posted by edwyn edwyn wrote:

I have a 5 cyl 2.5 TDI and when one of the exhaust sensors failed it was gutless (no torque) until the revs got to 2,000rpm.  IIRC it had some kind of emissions/workshop warning light on constantly.  The sensor was replaced under warranty.  Does your van have any other symptoms ?  ( I can think of other possible causes).
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 11 at 09:02
Update.....  EGR valve replaced, van seems ok now. Did a 480 mile round trip yesterday without a problem, smooth up hills for the first time. Started with a full tank and the digi fuel gauge just dropped below half as i got home, mostly motorway m5/m4 steady 80 ish. Don't really do mpg calcs..... but based on previous T5's and this one with all previous problems on the same run that's excellent fuel consumption.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12