The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tail light fuse Left Rear light out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tail light fuse Left Rear light out
    Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 19:00
G'day everyone.
My van (2007 2.5 128kw Manual Panel van) has its Rear Left Tail light out.
Brake and indicator are fine, as is the globe, but for the life of me I can't identify which fuse would cause this issue. No other electrical fault is present.
The van did this a few months ago, and it turned out to be a fuse
when the dealership rectified it. Unfortunately they didn't tell me which fuse.

Any help with this is really appreciated as I'm about to drive 3000kms on posting down South, and the cops will get me I know it. The nearest VW dealership is 300kms away and all the
auto elects are closed for the Christmas - New Year break.

Thanks.
Ken.

2007 128kw LWB Manual White Van
2009 VW Tiguan 103 TDI Auto
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 10 at 07:05
Have you looked at the fuse cards (they should be with the fuses under the cupholder in the dash) ?  It takes a little bit to figure out which card applies to which group of fuses.
Baytown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 10 at 07:31
G'day Greg.
Yep, you can tell which card is which by the little engine bay picture on one of them.
The same thing hapened last time, I thought I'd pulled every relevant fuse but still advised it was a blown fuse.
I need the  van to be up to speed as I'm posted down your way (Wagga) and have to drive from near Cairns tomorrow (New Years Day floods willing).
Happy new year mate.

Ken

Edited by Baytown - 31 Dec 10 at 07:34
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 10 at 13:45
Originally posted by Baytown Baytown wrote:

G'day Greg.
Yep, you can tell which card is which by the little engine bay picture on one of them.
The same thing hapened last time, I thought I'd pulled every relevant fuse but still advised it was a blown fuse.
I need the  van to be up to speed as I'm posted down your way (Wagga) and have to drive from near Cairns tomorrow (New Years Day floods willing).
Happy new year mate.

Ken

Did you have a REALLY good look at the likely suspects ?  Sometimes a blown fuse looks OK at a quick glance, so a continuity check with a multi-meter is needed to identify the crook one.  IIRC there are some extra fuses hidden away under the main fuse box next to the battery, it isn't one of them is it ?

That's a fair old journey. Drive carefully, especially if there is any water over the road - way too many people have been drowned when their vehicle has been washed into a creek/river.

And a happy new year to you too.

Edited by gregozedobe - 31 Dec 10 at 13:48
Baytown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 10 at 20:08
Yep, looked closely and removed all relevant (as i understood it) fuses. I'll go back with a multimeter and re check.
Re flood waters, I've been around too long to do something as stupid as cross a flooded creek without police permission. We see morons try this regularly up here, and more than a few always get stuck or worse.
The highway is cut Sth of Rocky, so I'm agonising as to wether to go or not right now.

Best wishes mate.

Ken
Baytown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 11 at 03:16

I went back and re pulled all the fuses in the Basic fuse section (Cabin-starting at upper panel, bottom row from fuse #36 backwards.

I got to 24 (Hazard Light) and 23 (battery) both 5 amp, replaced them (neither was faulty so re used) and the tail light now works. It was either fuse number 23 or 24.

I wonder if it had become loose, but all looked to be seated correctly.

One of those electrical gremlins I suppose.

Best wishes and hope this helps someone.

Ken

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 11 at 10:26
Hmmm, that sounds a bit odd, according to my info;  

in the Upper Fuse Panel/box in the dash :

Fuse SB 23 is for the Starter (models with manual gearbox)

Fuse SB 24 is for the steering angle sender.

I would have thought Fuse SB 20 "Left side light bulb" and "Left brake and tail light bulb" would be much more likely to be the culprit (middle row, 3rd fuse from the right, 5 Amp, beige colour)

Maybe it was loose and while you were changing the others you moved it a bit and made the connection again.  Certainly worth keeping an eye on it to in case it happens again.

I have heard of std VW globes causing a few hard to diagnose problems, and replacing with good quality Osram equivalents has fixed these problems for a few people (I noticed that you had trouble with this same globe a few months ago).

Travel safe.

Edited by gregozedobe - 01 Jan 11 at 10:27
Baytown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 11 at 11:01

G'day Greg. I reckon you're right on the money mate. My
understanding of the VW Hieroglyphics on the fuse card is open to interpretation.
I went back to the van while getting it ready for trip down Sth, and the light
was out again. I hit the tail light assembly for whatever reason and it came
back on. Hit it again - off. I pulled the assembly out and yep, the globe is
not making a good ground in the housing. (I did check this prior to screwing
around with the fuses for the last 4 hours. Effectively, ignore all that's in
my previous posts re fuses: Its the bloody bulb or tail light assembly. That
can wait till I'm in Wagga to fix (If they have a VW Dealership which I
doubt.)Again, good pick up mate.

Best wishes and thanks. Ken (Stranded in
Innisfail as the bloody highway at Rocky has just been closed due to the
floods.)

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 11 at 14:39
You don't need to go to a VW dealer to get a replacement globe, just take the old one out and get a new one from any auto supplies place - just make sure it is exactly the same (near enough is not good enough, and pay particularly close attention to the offset pins).

I hope you aren't stranded for too long.  But even if you get past Rocky the highway may be closed at other places too (according to the weather radar site Raymond Terrace is currently copping a deluge :(

Edited by gregozedobe - 01 Jan 11 at 14:40
 Post Reply Post Reply