The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to: AXD Manifold and Turbo Removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to: AXD Manifold and Turbo Removal
    Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 17:24
Here is the manifold removal guide. I am not a mechanic, nor do I pose to be, however I was good with Lego as a kid. 

WARNING!! THIS IS A PIG OF A JOB! YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD!

You have probably come here after looking at the 'Turbo Squeal fix' or the 'Turbo and Manifold Issues' thread so you already know what problems you have.

Estimated Work Time: 2 Days, although, if you are on it, and you have a helper, you could probably get it done in a day.

Tool list: Required
* Ramps/Jacks x2 + Axle Stands
* 5mm Allan key bit with at least 3 extenders or 5mm Allan key
* 8mm Spanner
* 10mm Spanner
* 13mm Spanner
* 13mm Socket
* 15mm Socket
* 16mm Socket
* M10 Spline/Triple Square Socket
* M12 Spline/Triple Square Socket
* Ratchet
* Socket Wrench
* 2x Universal Joint Sockets (This is important!)
* 2x Standard length extender bar - about 4-5" long
* 1x Long extender bar
* Penetrating oil (Plus Gas)
* Large Flat-blade Screwdriver
* Wire Brush
* Swear Jar

Note: the spanners I am using have ratchets built in and are also multi-angled.

Tool list: Good Idea.
* Light
* Small Ladder
* Safety Goggles
* Hacksaw
* Angle Grinder
* Twatting Hammer
* Lots of clean rags
* A few elastic bands
* A syringe - 50ml or so
* Extending magnet, or even better - extending grabber

Parts List: Required
* 1x Manifold Gasket: 070 253 039 C 
(Number 2 in Manifold Parts Image)

* 1x Turbo Gasket: 070 145 757 
(Number 23 in Turbo Parts Image)

Part List: Good Idea
* 10x Manifold Nuts: N 902 002 01
(Number 4 in Manifold Parts Image)

* Locktite: 
(Number 5 in Manifold Parts Image)

* lots of clean rags

Parts List: If things have gone wrong
* Exhaust Bracket: 

Manifold Parts: 

Turbo Parts: 

First Job: Get van on ramps or up in the air using some jacks, use some axle stands!
Important: Swear jar and loose change must be easily accessible!

Right, we are ready to start, T5 TDI has already mentioned the order in which to do this job; it goes: CAT/Exhaust --> Turbo --> Manifold.

( 1 ) CAT/Exhaust Removal: !!BELOW VAN!!

To remove the CAT you will most likely want to use something like penetrating oil to soak into the bolts as they will be rusty and won't want to play.

There are 5 bolts holding this in place:
Two at the rear (Photo 1) which are 15mm bolts. This itself is built up of 5 parts (Photo 1.1)
1) The bracket
2) The outer spacer
3) The middle spacer
4) 2x bolts that are curved to the contours of the bracket. 
I am not going to lie, this is the first hurdle. This did not come apart easily. One bolt sheared and the other rounded itself off, this meant that it needed cutting off. It then required a lot (I mean a lot) of penetrating oil - might be able to save yourself several hours by using PlusGas here, a lot of rust removal using a wire brush, a bit of gentle persuasion by tapping the inside of the outer shell (the stainless steal bit), and a lot of patience. If you have broken the bolts then you will need some new ones, not sure on the part number as I made up my own set.

Next, there are two 13mm bolts at the middle (Photo 2). These stripped the threads for me - very nice of them to do so. If this happens to you and you have access to an angle grinder, loose them!

And finally, one 5mm allan key bolt at the front which holds the exhaust to the Turbo (Photo 3), DO NOT FULLY UNDO THIS BOLT! Undo the bolt a bit and it should lift up thus freeing up the pipe clip. 
A large flathead screwdriver is good here. Put it between the bracket and the turbo and leverage the clip off. This then allows the next bit to open up and the exhaust pipe should now be free. If it is not, you will need to get a screwdriver and a bit of penetrating oil in there - use a hammer if needs be. 

A gasket will fall out when you remove the exhaust (Photo 4) this should go back in place with the smaller side facing the exhaust flange.

(Photo 1: 15mm Bolts - Back of CAT)

(Photo 1.1: The bracket of doom! (as above) If yours looks like this then you have done well son you have).

(Photo 2: 13mm Bolts - Middle of CAT)

(Photo 3: 5mm Allan Key Bolt - Front of CAT/Turbo. Note: DO NOT FULLY UNDO!)

(Photo 3.1: Side on view of the exhaust to turbo clamp).

(Photo 4: Exhaust to Turbo Gasket)

For re-installation, gasket follows the exhaust flange (small side on exhaust side). 

( 2 ) Remove EGR connecting pipe (Photo 5) !!ABOVE VAN!!

To remove the EGR connecting pipe you will need to undo the pipe clip (Photo 6) which connects the EGR to the manifold. This is a 5mm Allan Key Bolt (remove fully). Next Undo the 10mm bolt that holds the EGR connecting pipe to the support stay (Photo 7), and finally remove the two 13mm bolts that connect the pipe to the EGR (Photo 8), be careful to catch the gasket or EGR blocking plate depending on which you have.

(Photo 5: EGR Connecting Pipe)

(Photo 6: 5mm Allan Key Bolt - Pipe Connector to Manifold)

(Photo 7: 10mm Bolt attaching to Support Stay)

(Photo 8: Two 13mm Bolts - Connector Pipe to EGR Valve, watch you don't lose the gasket and/or EGR Blank Plate)

( 3 ) Remove Pressure Pipe - Intercooler to Turbo (Photo 9) !!ABOVE VAN!!

To remove this pressure pipe you will need a large flat blade screwdriver. Insert screwdriver under retaining clip (Photo 10) and prise up. There are three clips and the pipe comes off in two bits. Two of the clips are the same size and one is smaller, this smaller one goes at the turbo end! Insert a clean rag over each of the exposed ends and hold them in place with an elastic band to stop bits going into the turbo or the intercooler.

(Photo 9: Pressure Pipe - comes apart in two bits or three or four if you f*ck it up)

(Photo 10: Retaining Clip x3, there are two the same size and one not, the smaller one goes at the turbo end)

(4) Remove Air Box to Turbo Pipe.

Using a set of pliers/mole grips remove the clip at the air box end by clamping the tabs together. 

Remove the pipe that joins this one from the engine cover.

This will need to be repeated at the lower end too (photo below in red circle). It might be worthwhile removing the air box lid to do this. 

You should be left with this:

( 5 ) Remove Turbo

From above, remove the 4 M10 spline/triple square bolts off the top of the Turbo.

Climb back underneath

( 5.1 ) Remove Bottom Tray (Sump Guard) - You'll thank me for this later.
Think it is 12mm or 13mm.

( 5.2 ) Make this with your socket set.

Disconnect the vacuum pipe (Blue circle) off the bottom of the VGV actuator - this is just an air pipe so shouldn't have liquid all over the place.

There are 3x M12 spline/triple square bolts x3 from the bottom/back of the turbo - This is a ball ache! If only I had this guide before I started! Do not lose faith with these, it can be done, even I have managed it.........eventually! LOL 

Use the socket setup shown in (6) on the two bolts marked in red circles, then use a ratchet and the spline/triple square on the bolt in the green circle - this will work, just got to fiddle about a lot to get it to go.

Now you need to remove the bolt on the left side of the turbo - it is a 16mm bolt (pictured below in red).

Now you have freed up the turbo - you are not out of the woods yet! The space that the turbo sits in is smaller than the turbo, well, it certainly seems like it. After a lot of struggling - I mean a good hours worth, I managed to get it out. T5 TDI got his out a lot easier by undoing the manifold and working around the free-moving turbo.

Cover the inlet that is exposed by removing the turbo. 

( 8 )  Remove the manifold

This can all be done from above the engine. Remove the ten 12mm nuts and washers (keep hold of washers as they don't come with the replacement nuts)

Once all of the nuts have been removed, get under the van, and remove the manifold. 

( 9 )  Remove heat shield.

To do this, you might find a better way. I stuck a small punch under each tab, hit it with a hammer upwards and they all eventually popped up. Use a bigger punch to get them back to original shape and when it comes to it, use an 8mm spanner and a hammer to force them back on.

( 10 ) Do some welding, replace manifold

( 11 ) Have a brew and then do this walkthrough in reverse.

Edited by Liquidfreak - 03 Apr 12 at 20:33
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
Biker1941 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker1941 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 19:49
Excellent LF
I will store this for future use
thanks
Clive
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 20:54
I'm more up to speed now.  (Now I'm off the beach)  Re your Pm-  At a very quick look I didn't notice this walkthrough link was done by you (doh) LOL

It's a really nice job. Clap  When you search a site it's exactly what you hoping to find. Smile

Here are a couple of things you could add, they are just my view..

Add Jason's M8 multispline tool to your tools needed list.  Plus an extending magnet.

Make sure to point out that the triangular aluminium crushable washer for the turbo oil supply is strictly one use only.  Once the M8 bolts for the turbo are undone it has to be replaced.

The clean rag thing (and removing it) is quite important as the whole engine can get wrecked if a stray washer gets sucked in.

Also check each turbo/intercooler joint by pulling by hand after refitting.  If the clip is the wrong way round or not seated correctly it will blow off at the first sign of boost.

Btw 'Plus Gas' is the dog's gonads when it comes to rusty bolts!  (Forget WD40)  
2004 2.5 174
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 21:06
Cheers Biker/T5

It would be good to get some more of these helpful Haynes-like walkthroughs on the forum.

Not got to the turbo yet but thanks for the heads up on the M8 multispline tool and the Plus Gas - will have to get some tomorrow. What is the extending magnet for? (Oh no he didn't! guess i'll find out soon). 
Your a star! even on holiday you have the time to answer PMs and watch what is going on. 

If you have anything else to add then just say, this is basically me following my way through yours and Jason S's guides. I am not sure that there is any difference in the procedure for the AXE engine either.

Andy

Edited by Liquidfreak - 23 Dec 10 at 21:06
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 22:14

As far as I know your guide is fine for the 2.5 AXE and AXD engines.  And I'm fairly sure they both have the Garettt turbo (I think Jason said something different on another thread so hopefully he will clear this up).  All of the 1.9's (AFAIK again) have the KKK turbo which is slightly smaller and comes as part of the manifold so the guide obviously isn't intended for them. 

Have you actually managed to get the manifold out without unbolting the turbo?

Anyway, hats off to you for even attempting this job in the bone chilling conditions I know you must be working in. Clap  I hate to say this but it was 24 degs here in the sunny Canaries today. LOL 
2004 2.5 174
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 22:16
I`m 100% sure the AXE (174) has a Garrett (I had to replace mineCry) and 99% sure the 130 has a KKK......
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 22:19
Ha! not yet, I haven't even got the exhaust off yet! Only got the EGR connector pipe, pressure hose, and a few other bolts undone. I need some Plus gas really, oh.. and maybe a pit or lift. Hopefully have it all off and welded tomorrow as I need it ready by the 29th (going into Carrs to get my key recoded). I guess that you did the manifold and turbo half from the top and half from the bottom?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 22:48
That's about it.  The manifold bolts from the top and the turbo bolts from the bottom.  I found the four multisplined turbo bolts the biggest stretch.  The only way to get at them is from way back (underneath) at the full extent of your arms.  There is no chance of getting long extentions/universal joints etc on them and they will be pretty tight too. 

Interesting about the turbo makes ES.  Looks like I'm wrong then.  I know my AXE is a Garrett like yours so we'll see what LF's is and we'll have a definitive answer. Smile  

2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 10 at 22:54
I hope so much that i'll be able to tell you tomorrow, if not I might cry. I think once the cat is out of the way i'll be able to get right up in there.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 10 at 18:47
Although I spent the day working on the van, I have got no where, a sheared nut on the exhaust (back) and the two bolts stripped at the middle. Not a good result! Getting a little fed up of being under the van now!
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 10 at 11:28
From http://www.btnturbo.com/parts/model/volkswagen/transporter.aspx

2.5 D TDi 130 AXD 2002 - 2010 070145701E BorgWarner K04
2.5 D TDi 130 R5K (AXD) 2004 - 2006 070145701KV302 Garrett GT17 VNT

The plot thickens....

Anyone know how to tell if you have a R5K (AXD) or just an AXD? Wonder what the difference is between the two?

2004 LWB 2.5 AXD 130hp, K&N Filter, Allard EGR Pipe and Oil Breather Tank....
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 10 at 22:30
That is weird.  I only know Borg Warner from auto transmissions.  Maybe they own KKK?  

I think the 'R5' tag refers to the gear driven engines like the (5 cyl) T5's and the V10 Touaregs.  But 2002 sounds too early for any T5.  Certainly any Uk T5.  Confused 
2004 2.5 174
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 10 at 10:05
Sorry, guess this outta be in tech-chat... Geek

¨Borg-Warner bought German manufacturer Kuhnle, Kopp & Kausch, or KKK, in 1997. At that time the German subsidiary produced a variety of turbos, including some variable turbine geometry (VATN) models.

KKK stopped producing a model of VATN turbos after its parent company, Borg-Warner, decided not to contest a court injunction brought against it in April 2002 by rival turbo manufacturer Honeywell International Inc. Honeywell asserted at the time that KKK and its parent infringed on a patent held by Honeywell

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 16:27
Sorry, when I named this a walkthrough I should have said a walkintotrouble. I haven't really made any progress although I have spent a number of days under the van. I have decided to put it all back together again and leave it. To be honest, I have got used to the fumes in the cabin and only really notice it when I have spluttering passengers.

Good luck to anyone that tries to fix theirs. If you have bolts that aren't held together by hatred and rust then you might get further than I did.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 18:58
That's a shame LF. Cry  You did a great job with all the pics etc as far as you got.  Mind you the rest of the job is similar, rusty nuts and stuff that seems more suited to a contortionist!  Still save all your excellent work somewhere even if you delete the thread and maybe we can add to it later.

I really feel for ya!  Thumbs Up 
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 20:25
I have just realised where I am going wrong after looking at a couple of photos I have taken today (uploaded them too). It makes a bit more sense now and I have got a bit of a boost to keep going with it. Just hope that I am not flu-ey tomorrow and the ground is dry. Really hate this job though!
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 20:53
C'mon lad! Don't let the sucker get ya down....Thumbs Up

...I can hear the Rocky theme kicking in......LOL
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 21:07
I was thinking that all the bolts are singing queen 'I want to be free'
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 21:09
More like Joe pasqulae 'I am a bolt that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves. I am a bolt that'll get on your nerves, get get get on your nerves.'
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 21:14
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Hug
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>