The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 2.4 Petrol engine to 2.5 TDI conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 11 at 20:12
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

Very Cool Mechano,

Still not ready to put the 1.9tdi in the truck yet. We will see how it is different from the 2.5

Thanks! 1.9 can be harder by the wayConfused
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 11 at 19:08
Very Cool Mechano,

Still not ready to put the 1.9tdi in the truck yet. We will see how it is different from the 2.5

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 11 at 12:09
Hi All,

Here is what I did lately:

The ALTERNATOR

I was looking for a place to fit the alternator, as I said the original LT location and mount can not be used as the alternator would hit the turbo.
However there is no other place possible, this photo shows how the engine looks when the hood is closed.

upper right corner would be used by water hoses.

So I decided to use the original location by moving the alternator forward.
TDI engine is 9cm shorter than the 6cyl LT engine, so If I lengthen the original mount by 9cm the alternator would be placed where it was on the original LT engine.

So I designed this part and have it machined on CNC mill:

And have it welded to the original mount:

To use the alternator at this location, the pulley must also be relocated, so I decided to make a spacer to go between the original LT pulley and the cooling fan which would also be the new pulley for the alternator, this way the cooling fan will be at the original LT location:

I have designed that and have it machined on CNC lathe & mill

So here is how it looks like when all mounted on the engine:

This way the alternator easily clears the turbo and the fan sits in the shroud at its original location.
If I didn't use the spacer pulley, it would be necessary to extend the shroud.

Now I need to make a custom tensioner for the alternator, that will be something like this:

readie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 11 at 11:23
Hi there - thanks for your reply..in the end I took the pipe off and back to pirtek who reconned it in the first place - they redid it perfectly doing all sorts of wierd and wonderful things with solder and joints - and I was able to get it back on no trouble..and leak-free which is great news!
Cheers
Andy
1988 LT35 140K 2.4dt
mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 11 at 10:11
Originally posted by mcbkat mcbkat wrote:

Is there a weight difference between 5 and 6 cylinder?

possibly, I don't know.

Eren
mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 11 at 10:10
Originally posted by readie readie wrote:

Ah, I have just seen your pic of the other end of the oil return pipe, but it does not look like my 1988 2.4td!
With all the hassle I have had it did occur to me to have a decent rubber hose with jubilee clips like you have but I guess the important thing is the connections both ends. I can definitely do it the turbo end, but I need to think about joining it to the other (your first pic)..mmm

Hi,

I don't know how the original 2.4TD is. 
The 2.5 TDI had a steel pipe from the turbo to the engine block not to the sump. As I have made a blocking plate on the engine block which also secures the engine mount (can be seen in earlier post, CAD drawing also photo) I had to route the oil return to the sump.
I have cut the TDI steel pipe, which is mounted to the turbo with two M6 bolts. I bought suitable unions both for the steel pipe and the sump, and cut the rubber hose for the length I needed.
The hose is a high pressure one actually, so I can have the ends pressed and get rid of the jubilees however I don't thing that would be necessary.

Eren
readie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 20:44
Ah, I have just seen your pic of the other end of the oil return pipe, but it does not look like my 1988 2.4td!
With all the hassle I have had it did occur to me to have a decent rubber hose with jubilee clips like you have but I guess the important thing is the connections both ends. I can definitely do it the turbo end, but I need to think about joining it to the other (your first pic)..mmm
1988 LT35 140K 2.4dt
readie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 20:37
Wow, this is exactly what my problem is! I had a leak coming from my original oil return pipe, and my mechanic had it reconditioned, but it now leaks from the union nearer the turbo side. It's a nightmare to even get to the nuts to tighten them, but I see you have just used a rubber hose with a jubilee! What's happening the other end..how did you secure it?
looking forward to hearing from you!
andy
1988 LT35 140K 2.4dt
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 11 at 16:07
Is there a weight difference between 5 and 6 cylinder?
De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 11 at 14:48
Little update:

I just made the turbo oil return pipe, 

I also have the power steering hoses lengthened as the 5cyl engine is shorter..

Edited by mechano - 09 May 11 at 14:50
mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 11 at 10:12
Hi All,

Here are the updates:

2 weeks ago with the help of Can (cnycl) we put the transmission back in.

I had to modify the clutch cable because the clutch lever is 1 inch backwards now as the dimensions of the dual mass flywheel is different as I described before.

So I have cut the original cable and I have put a beetle clutch cable into the LT cable sleeve.
The beetle clutch cable is very long, I have cut it to the length I needed than I made a ball with a hole at the centre on the lathe and have it welded on the cable.
The new ball on the clutch cable is placed 1 inch far.

Last weekend I started working on the exhaust.
I have drawn the exhaust flange for the turbo and have it laser cut, I bought some stainless steel bellows and a vibration absorption flex pipe.
Cutting welding next ....

After this, I have run the engine with the electronics laying around as seen in the video to hear the exhaust and test the clutch, all went OK and the sound of the 5cyl TDI is sweet Thumbs Up 
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 19:40
Or make a 2.5 mTDI
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 19:39
Nice fit! Clap
But with all that wiring, I'll stick with a 6 cylinder...

Stefan
stonio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 19:21
Amazing I am in awe I truly am, a 2.5tdi would be sweet unfortunately I have 0.1% of mechanical knowledge. I can do it I just don't know how to yet!
LT31 2.4 Petrol 1984 Camper Conversion - My Obsession
cnycl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 11 at 18:01
Mechano posted TDI in LT video.
Here it comes.

mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 11 at 12:45
Originally posted by vwjetta vwjetta wrote:

too much skills guysEvil Smile Clap

thanks!

I have very limited time working on this project..
just made the oil feed pipe of the turbo

Edited by mechano - 05 May 11 at 10:17
vwjetta View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwjetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 11 at 12:24
too much skills guysEvil Smile Clap
1965 Datsun spl 310
1967 MGB roadster
1979 Dodge Spacevan
1983 french filth LNA
1989 Volvo 760 GLE
1990 Volkswagen Jetta
1990 Nissan Bluebird
1990 Volkswagen LT35
1984 MZ TS125
mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 11 at 08:13
here it is:

t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 11 at 15:23
also have you got a photo of the underside , mainly around the sump area when fitted to the van

Edited by t'onion - 01 Apr 11 at 15:24
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 11 at 15:08
so will you be making up kits for us all to buy or will this be a one off Unhappy
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>