The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smell of smoke - perhaps not manifold??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smell of smoke - perhaps not manifold??
    Posted: 04 Dec 10 at 17:15
Hello to all. Now it seems that it is quite a common theme for many that they smell, to either a lesser or greater extent, exhaust smoke in the cabin, especially at start up when the engine is cold. Now in my case this is not something that is overwhelming but it's something that concerns me. This is coupled with the fact that my my van still feels underpowered (especially for first 15 mins of driving at least) and I think I can hear a whooshing/air leaking sounds that seems a bit too exaggerated when accelerating (even on a longer run). Now when I had my EGR in-situ I did the old flap test causing the engine to stall and sure enough I was greeted with a clear as day puff of black smoke. Right I thought, cracked exhaust manifold or manifold gasket leaking. Fine van goes to local indy who whilst coming across as a likeable chap took off the the manifold (and turbo in process) and tells me that whilst the manifold is solid, the gasket was blowing around the 1st cyclinder. Fine I say and phew I don't have to shell out for a new manifold. Then he told me the price - 430 quid for a gasket replacement! Think I had my pants taken down there! Well that's the price you pay for fixing a price up front I supposeCry. So now, whilst credit to the mechanics the van does sound quieter and does have more power, it still generates smell that is particuarly noticeable at start up but perhaps disguised when moving at speed due to fresh air entering the engine bay diluting it. I still have what I would say is a lack of power and there are what I would say are louder than 'normal' air rushing/leaking sounds when acclerating (even under very gentle acceleration).

So if you have managed to read this far, what I am wanting to ask is if I believe the indy that my manifold is fine and that my new gasket is not leaking, where else could a smell of exhaust gas be being leaked from? He said that he also replaced the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo but I thought I had read someone else on here say there was no gasket between the turbo and manifold Confused Confused. Could a turbo in someway become cracked or allow an escape of exhaust gas through some means??? I'm only slowly getting to know about the mechanical setup of my engine so please be kind Wink

But any advice is as always much appreciated...

Kitawagon...
2004 LWB 2.5 AXD 130hp, K&N Filter, Allard EGR Pipe and Oil Breather Tank....
RoadMeister View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadMeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 10 at 19:38
HI mate. not sure about the smell, but lack of power and a air rushing sound does sound like Boost pipes or a leak on the intercooler..

however, I have just started to get a smell of old oil in the cabin, it's the same smell as if you have taken off the oil filler cap when the engine is hot ( oily smell) I have no idea what it is ! lets hope someone on here can put us out of our missery...ps mine has no smell of fuel and it's a 2.5 130 AXD  Help?  regards Mav
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 10 at 19:46
Hi, cheers for your reply Thumbs Up. Yep let's hope someone can provide an insight. I'm just busily reading up on tinternet about boost leaks - could be leaking from any number of places! It's bizzare as once the van is fully warmed up (let's say after 30mins) then it runs so much better (but i'm convinced not as well as it should). Perhaps a small leak that when it warms closes the gap somewhat. Regarding the smell, this only occurs at startup, or is only really noticeable at start up with either bonnet up or sitting in cabin with fan on.

Anyone got any ideas where exhaust fumes could leak at startup if not from exhaust manifold/gasket - bearing in mind a pressure leak seems to be happening also??
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 10 at 19:49
Useful link discussing boost leaks and diagnosis with relevance to VAG group....

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/boost-leak-tester-DIY-check.htm
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 10 at 00:24
Oil smells usually seem to come from exhaust leaks (most commonly manifolds), but sometimes auxillary heaters (esbacher, propex etc) can be noticed.

IIRC the manifolds can also be cracked, not just the gaskets.  There have been some threads on here about getting new (non-VW) manifilds made up.  Search may find them for you.
fantasam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fantasam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 10 at 14:45
Originally posted by RoadMeister RoadMeister wrote:

I have just started to get a smell of old oil in the cabin, it's the same smell as if you have taken off the oil filler cap when the engine is hot ( oily smell)

Have you checked the breather connection on top of the cam box cover? The one on my van is a bit wayward so I sometimes get that hot oil smell as well. and its just a case of shoving the breather back on.
Man of few words, many farts
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 10 at 23:11
Thing is I was led to believe that when my manifold was out and inspected on the bench it looked ion great condition with no cracks at all..
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 10 at 01:11
Have you had a look at night with a strong torch (preferably white LED type).  You might be able to see some smoke/fumes and that might help locate the source of the problem.

Any chance your oil breather tank plumbing might be leaking ?  (I just ask because it is a mod, and mods sometimes cause trouble because they frequently aren't as well engineered as the original stuff)

Edited by gregozedobe - 08 Dec 10 at 01:12
ewoksbus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewoksbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 09:43
Right then , have same symptoms as you lot and have mine going in for manifold gasket on Monday , and it will still drive the same the reason for the feeling the engine is being held back is the movement in the shittilly designed boost pipe that comes of the turbo and up and over the engine !! Don't believe me , get a torch and follow the pipe down behind the engine and give it a wobble by hand after the shock of that have a look at how much sludge is leaking out !!
ewoksbus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewoksbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 09:47
Oh and whilst there inspect the crappy spring clip as mine had worn in half , a new pipe is just under a ton at vw and will not cure movement in connection
 Post Reply Post Reply