The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Eberspacher experts on here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Eberspacher experts on here?
    Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 20:35
I've got an airtronic D2 which I installed myself, and it's worked flawlessly since fitment.

I used a dip tube for the fuel pickup and stopped it about 20mm shoft of the bottom of the tank, so it can't run the tank dry or suck up any muck. If the fuel light is on, the heater gnerally won't work.

I tried to put it on last week and the fuel level must have been too low as it didn't work. I put some fuel in, bled the fuel line to the D2 out and it worked a treat. It was rearing away yesterday morning no problem, defrosted hte van a treat. I went out for lunch and put it on so it'd still be warm when we got back to the van, but the heater wasn't running...strange.

Just been laid under it in the snow there, no bubbles in the fuel line, bled it anyway, fuel there, pump is working fine. But here's the symptoms.

I'll tun it on. it'll click. then a wisp of smoke comes ouf the exhaust, as expected, coupled with the fan running "very" slowly, but I hear no clicks from the fuel pump at all, and after a few seconds the smoke and fan stop and it does nothing. I've tried turning it off, then back on to see if it'll start (as that sometimes sorts it out) but no, same thing every time.

huh?

one thing i did notice when i pulled the fuel pipe off to bleed it was that it wasn't pushed fully home onto the unit. could it have got wet and drawn water in? if so, what are the consequences of this and what do i need to clean out/replace?

TIA.
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 20:52

Heater makes two attempts to start, may smoke for a while and then it stops

1. Do the fuel quantity check as described in manual, if the amount of fuel is insufficient, than check the fuel pick-up pipe, fuel lines and connections, fuel filter on the pump, replace the filter or pump if necessary.

2. Check the glow pin, clean ventilation hole above the screen in the glow pin chamber and replace atomizing screen.

3. If necessary, take the heater apart, clean combustion tube (including it’s all air ways) and the heat exchanger. If internal combustion chamber area is badly carboned or has a ceramic-like build up behind the ring wall, replace the flame tube. Refer to instructions for cleaning heater with kerosene, which sometimes helps to avoid taking the heater apart for cleaning.

Have a look at: http://www.espar.com/www/espar.com/tech_manuals/AIRTRONIC%202-4/Troubleshooting%20Airtronic.pdf

Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 21:04
thanks, I'd just read that on a site i googled, but i don't know where the glow pin, vent hole or screen is located on the unit?
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 21:10
That's a take apart job I think....

See if there is anything here that helps:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Camping_Interior_Eberspacher
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 21:14
arse! typical, it's underneath the van, so i can't fix it in this weather, but i need it in this weather.....GAngry
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 17:30
does it work if your engine is running?could it be battery voltage?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 19:00
Tried that, does the same thing. I tried manually priming the pump again but with it attached to the unit this time, and could see a fee more bubbles in the line Sony got all those out. I got a bit more smoke but still did the same thing.

A mate who services them for a living is going to have a look tomorrow I hope.
t3trooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 19:34
is your battery OK, eber wil not start if voltage low automatic shut down. Look for F11 fault on electronic control panel if you have one. Assuming its on your starter battery, start engine and retry eber, should start, if on leisure battery check voltage is more than 11 volts.
Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 19:39
It's an 801 controller, no faults stored on it.

It's powered off my leisure batteries, will check voltage but they're usually fine. However, it did struggle to start off the main battery the other day...so you might be onto something. I'll see what voltage I got at the plug.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 19:46
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

does it work if your engine is running?could it be battery voltage?
thats what i said earlier!!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 19:59
It's an 801 controller, no faults stored on it.

It's powered off my leisure batteries, will check voltage but they're usually fine. However, it did struggle to start off the main battery the other day...so you might be onto something. I'll see what voltage I got at the plug.
Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 20:02
Sorry, thought I'd posted that earlier ^

Anyway, you were right!! Check batt voltage at the battery the eber is hooked into, sure enough, 11.75 volts even with engine running. Turned out the earth lead from the battery had snapped. So although the eber was still connected to the battery, the battery had gone flat because it wasn't earthed to the van!!!

Cheers for the help.
rp309 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rp309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 21:30

i work on these.remove cover and glow plug grommet(brown and white wires)down the side of glow plug body theres a small 2mm hole that gets carbon build up,clean out with a bent wire.this is your air supply on start up.if thats no good remove heater and strip the green combustion gasket will be broken up replace rebuild but check temp sensor resistance.eberspacher not helpfull but search espar heaters(usa eberspacher)will really help with checks.word of warning inlet and exhaust pipes very fragile so be carefull.good luck

Post Reply Post Reply