The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The other LT thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The other LT thread
    Posted: 23 Oct 10 at 22:52
This is my first time outside the 'safety' of the LT section, so please be gentle with me guys!Embarrassed

I thought people might b interested in the progress of my LT over the last few years, from beaten up panel van to (still beaten up) camper. The photos were taken a while back, but it's still not finished (probably will always be something to do on it!) My latest project is the fitting of some rather tasty Audi A8 seats, that shoud be a nice quick job, give me 6 months or so.
It was bought on eBay and not exactly as advertised..."surface rust only" was the wording used...here are a few shots of the floorpan after I had cut back to solid metal. I was dubious of the fresh MOT it had before sale as well!

The outside was a similar story, ths is the only photo I can find showing it.

As this wasn't structural I could have used filler, but that wouldn't have lasted. Patching the panels wasn't an option as the remaining metal(?) had the structural integrity of foil. So I managed to obtain some genuine VW panels and set to cutting away the rusty remains.

The first of many pieces of new metal going in.

I'll post up some more pictures soon when I have more time.

Edited by mat_the_cat - 24 Jun 13 at 14:55
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 10 at 00:09
LTs are taking over!
Keep up the good work!

Stefan
De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 10 at 10:50
Thanks Stefan!
Originally posted by mcbkat mcbkat wrote:

LTs are taking over!

Not surprising - they are the best VW around...(runs and hides).

Anyway, here are a few more photos of work in progress. I had booked a week off work to do the welding before we were planning to go away on the Friday night. Wales being Wales, even though it was the middle of the summer, meant that I only had one dry day all week so all the outside repairs had to be done then.

I was fortunate that once I had cut back to good metal, what was left was fairly thick. Which meant that I could butt weld in a new section with very little distortion. To be honest there is a little, but flat enough (given the rest of the van!) not to require anything more that a quick grind over and a lick of paint.

There's a bit of a story with this particular panel, the dealer local to me could only (after a 6 week wait) get hold of the offside version and told me that the nearside was unobtainable. By chance I happened to pop into a VW Van Centre in Birmingham who had one on the shelf, so I bought it there and then!

I always use galvanised sheet for repairs, hopefully keep the rust at bay for a little longer...

Feeling like I am on the home straight now! But I still had an interior to fit - the above photo was taken on the Wednesday night, and we were due to go away in it on Friday afternoon...

Edited by mat_the_cat - 24 Jun 13 at 15:03
Mad AL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 11 at 13:54
errrr doesn't welding galvanised give off deadly gases!!!!?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 13 at 15:17
Bringing back this thread from the dead, yes it can do but I didn't realise that at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Thinking back, I was rather ill after one heavy welding session, but I'd put that down to the drinking I'd undertaken shortly afterwards...

The van is still going strong, and coming up to 250k miles. I'd been planning to do a more thorough paint job for a while, as I'm not a fan of a completely white body. After reading about Rustoluem applied with a roller I thought I'd give that a go!

It goes on really well, plenty of coverage even when thinned.

All the paintwork is now done, and it almost looks respectable...less can be said about the occupant.

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 13 at 16:32

i have one new old stock offside. rear bumper if you need one .
the side the fog light sits in.
looks like yours are better that most though.
its good to see the old LT´s getting a bit more love.
huge inside.. and like a t3 they put the engine inside so you dont get as wet fixing them...lol
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 13 at 17:22
Thanks for that, PM sent regarding the bumper Smile

Good point about the engine being indoors, and another bonus is you can cook your pasty on it as you're driving along!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 13 at 19:24
Originally posted by T3ADICT T3ADICT wrote:

looks like yours are better that most though.

Too right there. Mine a a proper state, lovely GRP and shortened to make way for a guillotine-like step.

Nice to see what you started with Mat, as yet I have not had the guts to take up the floor covering. Probably the iminent winter, inside, in the dry and warm.Big smile
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 13 at 09:58
I've not got too many photos of the inside build, which is almost finished. It's more tidying everything up which is needed now. Last year the inside looked like this (the upholstery came out of an old caravan - I didn't choose it!)

We recently got the cushions re-covered, and I also wanted to build a box around the toilet...the consequences of an emergency stop didn't bear thinking about!

Box covered in plywood, and new cushions in place.

Just need to retrim the door cards and get some new curtains, and it'll look a lot better!
dr-rob View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 13 at 10:26
looking good, our new fabric arrived this morning for the bed and curtains, we also found that there is a rustoleum supplier about 4miles from us so we are going down there later to see about the paint, they also said they can mix a colour for us too. cant wait lol
little trixie the lt28 [1985]
diva the disco
lucy the land rover
1200 sportster
bike in boxes
so babe iv seen this.... NOOOO...No more projects.... yeah but.... I SAID NOOOO
Bloody mrs
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 13 at 00:11
Good news Rob! You'll have to start a build thread too - wish I had taken more in progress photos of mine.

The door cards are now trimmed and back in the van - I went for purple vinyl for the lower panels in the same colour as the piping.

The top ones are in cream as I didn't want it to look too dark!

Also fitted a heated rear window, no point doing both sides as I can barely see out of the other window with the wardrobe in the way...

Waiting for a price on a set of curtains and matching cushions/pillows at the moment.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 12:45
Thanks to T3ADICT I now have a shiny brand new right rear bumper, and thoughts turned to the other side as that looks decidedly tatty in comparison. It really bugs me  only having one fog light so I've kind of been after a LHD spec. left bumper ever since I got the van 7 years ago. But a saved search on eBay.de never brought anything up, and the VW price of ~£100 was too high to pay for something that merely bugged me!

But with a huge stroke of luck I think I've found one...

...just need to see whether they will accept my offer now. Fingers crossed!
dr-rob View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 20:11
looking very good mate.
I will start a build thread in the next week or so, thanks for the idea.
I went out for a drive in it today to pick a few bits up for the build, i think we have everything now so it should not be too long until its completed, yeah next 10-15 years i reckon lol.
little trixie the lt28 [1985]
diva the disco
lucy the land rover
1200 sportster
bike in boxes
so babe iv seen this.... NOOOO...No more projects.... yeah but.... I SAID NOOOO
Bloody mrs
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 13 at 01:54

that will be cool with twin rear fog lights...

its a pitty that there are never really any easy options for wheels on the lt.. other than going tranny...LOL

EDIT..
just found these if your feeling flush...   now they would make for a different looking LT

Edited by T3ADICT - 07 Jul 13 at 02:06
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 13 at 19:33
Looked very nice in the flesh/ tin Mat.

The marshalls waved me on through Show'n'Shine.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 13 at 10:17
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

The marshalls waved me on through Show'n'Shine.

Some people have no taste... LOL

Those wheels would certainly make it stand out - I'm still undecided whether they would suit the LT though. It's a bit academic really, as I don't have £500 spare Unhappy

I have to say that this looks uber cool though.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 13 at 17:04
Saw these on a yellow T5, but I might as well stop now before getting carried away.

Dearly Beloved wants the LT lowered, but I suspect only to make it easier to get in and out.LOL

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 13 at 12:59
I might be showing my complete lack of style here, but I don't think I'd really want to lower the van. Arguable it would look better, but we often do wild camping that involves exploring rough tracks. Plus we occasionally use the van for towing the horse around, and the track leading to where he is kept took out the sump on a Tr****t van the other day. The LT managed it fine even when towing, although this would undoubtedly be better on a muddy field...

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 13 at 17:05
That is a doosey(?)Cool

Headlamp washers too.Thumbs Up

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 13 at 13:16
Bugger. Failed the MOT this morning, fortunately not on much though. Just excessive corrosion on the fitting for the rear brake flexy hose. I've managed to find a set of stainless braided hoses for a shade over £40 which I didn't think was too bad, so I'll hopefully fit those this weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>