The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The other LT thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 21:52
Hoses haven't arrived today, so fingers crossed they will get here tomorrow so I can change them at the weekend. In the meantime I've changed the mains inlet socket, as the old one had discoloured and was going brittle due to UV degredation.

You can just make it out behind the post in this photo:

Replaced with a black version, which I think looks neater than white anyway, even before it fades to yellow!

Edited by mat_the_cat - 12 Jul 13 at 21:53
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 23:36
I am so jealous.....

BTW, what is the clubie thing at the bottom?
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 00:05
Clubie thing? What do you mean? Confused
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 05:27
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

I am so jealous.....

This clubie thing, Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.Confused

I did wonder myself, but it is a french filth thing.

I got as far as 'Your french filth has j........' Probably not right anyway
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 09:12
Ah, that! Nothing to do with Citroëns though, I will send a PM to explain...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 14:17
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

I am so jealous.....

This clubie thing, Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.Confused

I did wonder myself, but it is a french filth thing.

I got as far as 'Your french filth has j........' Probably not right anyway

?Only my french filth references getting changed then? Saw what you did there.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 14:19
That was too quick, but if it is spelled correctly, Citroën, your swear filter cannot see it. Tongue

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 23:03
On the subject of French filth, I'll confess to being a (not so) secret fan...

Only got two at the moment though, the red one and a (different) white one. Back to VWs though, still no hoses - posted Thursday 1st class so don't know where they've got to Unhappy I've managed to crack off most of the unions though in readiness, just the O/S front to have a go at now. I also freed off the N/S rear brake adjuster, as there was a little bit of imbalance on the MOT rollers

Then, as the grass is getting very long I thought I'd better fettle the mower into action.

It's not been needed for a couple of years as my wife has had her horse here - now that's away the grass has got waist high! Annoyingly it's still not running 100%, fine at idle and low revs but about half throttle it just coughs and misfires. Think it's ignition related so will change the plug and points, and possibly condenser. Not too hot on magneto systems as it's been fine up to now.

Will try and be more VW related next time!

Edited by mat_the_cat - 13 Jul 13 at 23:09
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 13 at 01:08
FINALLY, the hoses arrived today - so much for next day delivery!

Some of the steel lines looked a bit fragile, so while I'm replacing the hoses I thought I'd put in new copper pipes:

Rear hose in place...

...and the fronts, complete with new bleed nipple. This was from Bigg Red and didn't need a die running down it as another member found previously - they must have taken note. Good job too, as I don't have an M7 die!

Should be able to bleed it tomorrow evening and take it for the retest Thursday Smile Sorry for the poor photos - my camera has developed a lens fault, only about a week or so after I had it in bits replacing the LCD screen which I'd cracked Unhappy So it's back to phone pictures for now.
bryankelly View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryankelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 13 at 07:05
hey there's Marlow!!
No. Ireland reg 1980 SWB LT28 2.0 ltr lpg / petrol - Hot Wheels campervan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 13 at 07:13
ShineyCool

Edit:

Standard fitting on bikes back in the day.

I WILL be doing my bleeding brakes this week too, ...and dash lights ....and handbrake, so I do not get hung on it again.Embarrassed Hopefully everything else will be good for the MOT.

I got my bushes from VW yesterday, even though they were there on Saturday when I called in, but found some 'issues' which will be better served by a new thead. Got some batteries so the camera can do its' job.

Edit2:

My front hose protector needs to be cable-tied to stop it moving. I could not get the hose into a position where it did not rub on the upper arm. I think it would be easily done, but not with standard length hoses and rigid.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 17 Jul 13 at 07:54

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 13 at 09:32
Originally posted by bryankelly bryankelly wrote:

hey there's Marlow!!

Don't tell me there's a twin to mine?

Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Standard fitting on bikes back in the day.

It was on bikes that I first started using braided hoses - this is the only one I have at the moment although reluctantly I should probably sell it after 13 years of ownership Cry

You can notice the difference on a bike, but I haven't done on cars. I put this down to the fact the hose lengths are shorter, plus a foot on the brake pedal will be less sensitive than a hand on the brake lever. Still, for an extra tenner over rubber hoses it's a no brainer for me. I've had some pattern rubber hoses that have barely lasted a year.

I will check for chafing once I have an assistant to turn the steering wheel...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 13 at 09:37
After bleeding the system I managed to obtain an MOT, but was not happy with the feel of the pedal as there was clearly some air still in there. One of the rear wheel cylinders had a snapped bleed screw, so that was my first suspect as I been unable to bleed that section.

New cylinder (and pipe, as I was unable to remove the old pipe intact) and no improvement. Bugger. The front calipers have a top and bottom bleed screw, and on both of them the top screw had just crumbled away. So I wondered whether they had trapped air inside which I was unable to bleed.

The first side I hammered a Torx bit into to try and turn it. My mistake was to use a cheap bit, which snapped off and was too hard to realistically drill. On the second side I progressively drilled out the screw with larger drill bits, however my mistake on this side was not realising the original hole was drilled at a slight angle. Once the remains of the bleed screw came out I could see that the threads on one side were damaged, and even if I drilled and tapped the next side up the hole was no longer central to the sealing face so wouldn't have sealed. Another fail!

Still, found exchange calipers for £40 plus VAT so it could be worse...hopefully arriving Wednesday so will likely be working in the rain to replace them.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 13 at 22:09
Calipers arrived today so fitted them, bled through and problem solved!

Such a shame that no-one will see my blinged up calipers behind standard steel wheels...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 13 at 22:22
Toad!!!!!

Mine still feel crap.Angry even after a full day buggering around. 4ltrs of fluid.AngryAngry

I guess I will have to look deeper. Not happy since MOT is a week Tuesday.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 13 at 23:06
Bugger. It won't make you feel any better, but mine went very smoothly, which is even more of a puzzle why yours isn't. Could there be bubbles in the pipe from reservoir to master cylinder, meaning that you're continually drawing in air?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 13 at 10:45
My new bumper arrived yesterday, so I set to wiring a second fog light:

I didn't have to run it to the right hand unit as all the cables come down the left hand side of the chassis, so a fairly simple job splicing into these. I also improved where the towing electrics joined the loom while I was underneath.

Took a couple of photos of the finished job this morning as my phone camera is rubbish at night:

Sad, I know but I really think it looks better like this. I'll post up something in the For Sale section shortly for the two old bumpers - hopefully they will be of use to someone.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 13 at 16:46
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

I'll post up something in the For Sale section shortly for the two old bumpers - hopefully they will be of use to someone.

Oh Yes!Wink

...and looking nice Mat.Clap

VW LT Camper not Cramper

lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 13 at 10:37
Yes Mat,looking good as i was  wondering why you you were changing them i though you were doing some fancy rear step/storage box/ bike rack ? i have a LHD bumper on my 45 and need to cut out the bumper for fog light on the drivers side now know it will look good when i purchase fog lights Thumbs Up
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 13 at 22:20
Tonight's job is to replace the leisure batteries - after 7 years (which I didn't think was too bad) one of them is leaking acid and we're noticeably down on capacity. I don't think it's a good idea to replace just one, as if they have slightly different resting voltages, there would be a current flowing even with nothing in use which would discharge them over time.

Managed to get a good deal at Tayna batteries who are only a few miles away from my wife's work, so saved on postage Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>