The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing the steering wheel on a T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieI14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing the steering wheel on a T5
    Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 17:46
Hi All

Am a newbie here so hope I have posted in the right place.

Have just bought a 55 plate t5 thats been coverted to a camper and in the process the former owners have done a cracking job of making my new pride and joy quite the sporty little number (alloys, bucket seats and lots of chrome Smile )

Sitting slap dash in front of me however is the original steering wheel complete with airbag. 

now , while I cannot argue with the functionality of this fine item, both in terms of letting me steer my new bus and for protecting me in case of a shunt.  However it does looks a little out of place in what is a fairly sporty looking van.

Half a day of googling later and I am really no better off in terms of knowledge.  I even spoke to a chap at my local VW centre who looked rather strangely at me and then quoted a number that I shall mention here for fear of being banned for bad language.

So, does anyone have any experience of adding a more sporty steering wheel to a VW transporter (T5)?

I would like to keep a functioning airbag and quite like the look of the wheel in the the current Golf GTI or R32.

I note that many steering wheels now come with Multi function compatibility.  My van still has the original VW stereo (CD player).  Would a multifunction unit work in this instance, or am I best getting a plain wheel.

Thank you in advance for any replies that I might get to the question.

C

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 18:30
A MK5 Golf GTi wheel fits.
There's a "how to fit" thread somewhere.....
rallye dale View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallye dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 19:30
You forget the multi function "search" button Steve Wink

Multifunction wheel wont work on your van

Theres numerous threads on here

My Van..http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic26281&KW=_post196345.html#196345

My Car..http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288209

T30 LWB 2.5 130 REMAPPED 56 PLATE
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 21:16
Originally posted by CharlieI14 CharlieI14 wrote:

Hi All

Am a newbie here so hope I have posted in the right place.

Have just bought a 55 plate t5 thats been coverted to a camper and in the process the former owners have done a cracking job of making my new pride and joy quite the sporty little number (alloys, bucket seats and lots of chrome Smile )

Sitting slap dash in front of me however is the original steering wheel complete with airbag. 

now , while I cannot argue with the functionality of this fine item, both in terms of letting me steer my new bus and for protecting me in case of a shunt.  However it does looks a little out of place in what is a fairly sporty looking van.

Half a day of googling later and I am really no better off in terms of knowledge.  I even spoke to a chap at my local VW centre who looked rather strangely at me and then quoted a number that I shall mention here for fear of being banned for bad language.

you won't be banned for that....dont worry!
5.2TDi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.2TDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 09:17
I found this charlie, but no luck with this mystery how to thread everyone keeps harping on about. Doesn't appear to be in the T5 mod forum.....?

Welcome by the way & oh "lots of chrome" Dead but good luck fitting your new wheel.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 09:38
Not really a mystery...click.

It does appear that oddboy has deleted the photos from photobucket so it's not as complete as it used to be.
5.2TDi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.2TDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 09:49
oh arr, aptly named & everything Embarrassed

well you could've posted that in the first place hey Hug
5.2TDi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.2TDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 09:55
I just phone the local scrappy, he's got a golf gt mk5 steering wheel but airbag was deployed - 70 quid.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 09:55
Originally posted by 5.2TDi 5.2TDi wrote:

well you could've posted that in the first place hey Hug

Ok if anyone wants anything searching for or simply can't be arsed to search then just ask me and I'll do it....I've nowt else to do on here. LOL
5.2TDi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.2TDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 10:04
Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

Ok if anyone wants anything searching for or simply can't be arsed to search then just ask me and I'll do it....I've nowt else to do on here. LOL

Thanks Steve B you're the best 

Can you search "is it illegal to drive without an airbag" for me, ta
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 10:10
For you,of course.

Here you go.
exocet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exocet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 10:41
Charlie,

May i suggest something different, I have bough a refurbished one from this guy (see link below), he basically refurbished them with leather, mine is the version with the perforated leather. He is based in oxford, he used to work for the factory (in Poland) who are manufacturing the leather steering wheels for VW, Audi and BMW and he certainly know his stuff.
It does look and feel miles better that the original plastic version, the extra leather thickness and in part perfed version make it look a lot more sporty and it just feels brand new (even smells brand new).
I actually collected mine from his place which he fitted in 10 minutes for an extra £10, he kept my old one which has been refurbished for someone else. Furthermore you don't have to change your airbag so nothing to worries as you are in fact keeping it all as standard but with a twist. Both T5 steering wheels versions are I believe available, if you can't make it to Oxford he can post it for you, all you have to do is send back your old one after you fitted the leather version.
Personally I would recommend it, I had mine done in June and I love it. Contact him you never know!

Steph

Post Reply Post Reply