The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 2nd T3 A Ex-german army LHD Doka! My Daily!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 2nd T3 A Ex-german army LHD Doka! My Daily!
    Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 11:45
How do all, Most of you chaps know i have My weber equipped 2.0 aircooled devon camper which has been my daily for a year on & off! but with the cost of petrol & having crap heating in the aircooled i have finally bit the bullet & got a more sencible daily driver this:

its an ex=german army crewwy & the body is in good condition, dented here n there but i'm not fussed about that, the only rust i can find is a 10" long x 4"wide section on the flat section behind the wheelarch on the (UK) passenger side! easy fix! the locker area is MINT! but in green its dark in there so i'll paint the locker area in a matt or satin desert sand color so its light n bright in there! i've had the underside 90 degree hot jetwashed at my local HGV place like i do with my T3's to get rid of the years of grime, dirts stays damp, clean metal dont is my theory! plus it makes it a little nice to work on if its clean!

the motor in it when i got it was a 1.7ky & it was loud as fook!it did have oil lights flashing & all sots but i traced that problom & it was the main earth strap from the gearbox to the body was about to break, i fitted a new one & the electrics & motor were perfect! but as a daily that will hit the motorway nown again i though "bugger-it" & got a 1.9 1y motor from a local breakers for £200, fitted a new timing belt kit, water pump, glow plugs, clutch kit, clutch slave cylinder, got it al fitted in by errrrr myself on my norman again with a bit of help from my old man! i have the 1.7 ky in the garage :O)
i confess i did do a thread on club 80-90 about my engine conversion/swap

so far i've done about 1500ish miles in total & she's going sweet with no smoke, & its not using oil or water, i've had it up to 120KPH but i tend to cruise between 80-100KPH as i think thats enough really! 1000ish miles has been a trip to ireland & back! only 3 days after getting it up & running!!!!!!Shocked

other things i've done since i got it have been fitting merc steel wheels & some spacers to get them to fit with my tyre choice, i have 7.5x16 et41 with 235/60/16 tyres & 30mm spacers on the back & 7x15 et37 on the front with stud conversion & 10mm spacers, i cant remeber the tyre size but they are the right height to give the correct speedo reading! the wheels i'll be painting green to match the body to maintain the OG look!

i also stripped the load-bed & the inside face's of the drop sides & tailgate of paint, primed them with a etch primer, then some very Zinc rich primer then i sprayed the lot with a proper load bed lining paint- which is fooking brillinat stuff! its hard as nails! i have to take some pics of the load-bed & drop sides, i would like to get a cover for the rear loadbed like the one kooldubs has, or somat simular so i can take the army load bed cover off to recondition it!
i have ordered more load bed paint as its so hard & tough i'm gonna do my four inner wheel arches/wheel wells with it + the sills & any vunrable areas that get blasted by water & road grime! then i'll get the anti rust wax in all the cavities to protect it

other than that i've just gave it a clean & vac inside, got some hot-rod stylee blankets to cover the seats, broke the speakers AngryClapDead which is a pain as i like my tunes & they were'nt bad speakers either! so thats somat i'll need to sort pretty soon before the weather turns pants!i may paint the interiour metalwork in a satin desert sand color to lighten it up a bit as the seats are a beige/tan vinyl as are the doorcards, the doorcards i'm doing in marine ply as i got some thin stuff free, these will be painted! 
painted the mirrors, grill & wipers matt black as they should be as they were faded, still gotta do the door handles & tidy up the rear light clusters, i managed to get some truck stylee mirrors in black so i'll fit those when i get the chance, improves vision past the rear load cover! & they look pretty cool + fold in!

probloms i need to sort are my new oil pressure sender is weeping oil which will fix easily & quickly with ptfe tape, i do have a slight weep from the crank pully seal i think so i need to sort that before the weather turns & last night i noticed a sort-of rattle which i think is the new clutch release bearing grrrrrr!

oh yeah, its 2wd, not a synchro

i think i may lower it a little i'm unsure though!as the stock springs give it a bit of body roll, & the -50 avo's i have on my devon give a loverly ride, but on this doka maybe just a 30/40mm drop is enough, i'm unsure though!

i want to keep it as near as damit to original & get all the army decals back on it! but improve certain ares to make it nice as a daily!so there ya go, i like T3's LOL

oh i may be selling the glass in the crew area & the rear window, what are they worth as i have some nicer replacements!

Edited by covdubber - 15 Oct 10 at 12:01
i laugh at my own jokes cause there funny to me! i dont give a fck if you dont think they are

if your in the redline lol ya having a good time! lol ;P

taigagreen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 12:05
I like it!!
Tage is my name :D
Too many T3's...
moogster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 12:49

Nice that.

Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 17:45
Very nice, and you run it as a daily driver?
Who do you insure it with if you don't mind me asking?
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 18:06
Originally posted by Zebedee Zebedee wrote:

LOL Oh Zeb' !!! Is this still going on? Jeeez mate!!!

Gman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 18:45

very very nice, will look good with the markings back on, how watertight is the canvas on the back?

94 t4 caravelle
84 panel van project
jack carlton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack carlton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 18:50
thats badass!!! just how i want mine apart from the colour. dont lower it, the stance is ace!
is the 1y conversion worth it in regards to going up hills and the like?

Edited by jack carlton - 15 Oct 10 at 18:51
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 21:38
Nice doka Thumbs Up

Jealous at your lack of rust  Sick

Keep it stock height - it's the new cool for doka's LOL
Don't start what you can't finish!
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 21:44
Originally posted by Zebedee Zebedee wrote:

Surely you've just bitten the bullet and insured yours. Wink

Get it done and start enjoying the world of T3 doka's LOL 
Don't start what you can't finish!
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 10 at 00:38
i have mine insured through "peter best" but they said the same thing to me as another member on here was told by who they were insured with that my policy is one i have to stick with as the newer policys dont cover LHD as dailys have ya tried glendale zebadee? i insured another lhd with someone else i'll look through my old insureance docs to see what company it was! see if you can get it on a limited milage policy zeb, that worked on my previous policy, you would do less than 10,000miles a year would'nt you?

cheers chaps i got it off hawklord on here! & apparently before that a chap in coventry brought/drove it from germany!

can anyone help me find big pics of the decals so i can copy them as i have a gal that was an art student that will paint them on for me :OD i have found a pic of the van when it came into the uk & it had a coat of arms type army decal with deer horns on it????
i need help with the army OG parts of it, i have the covers that go on the screen/mirrors to prevent relections on manovers i presume! i have a ex-army smoke morter box for my tools so that matches quite well!

the rear army canopy thing is pretty water-tight & would be super basic to copy! if i can find somebody to make the rear fabric part cheaply i'd make copys cheap!

cheers for the kind comments chaps! i think i am converted to t3's as daily drivers & my beloved "classic mini passion" is gonna be my weekend toy play thing!

i have picked up a old set of ex-transit van "paddy hopkirk" roofbars which i've stripped & painted the correct bronze/green army color-need to fit those, they are pretty cool!
i got a towbar for it at vanfest too & of course, that now green :OD

it does get errrrrrmmm a wee bit too much attention for my liking but its funny attention! usually smirks/waves or faces with the expressions of WTF!!!!!! :OO

as for the differance of the 1y motor, i think its a birlliant swap, i'm in 4th gear most of the time as the torque of the 1y is in the right ares unlike the old 1.6/1.7 i'm not changing gear & getting an aching right arm :OD

i think if you have a 1.6/1.7 "non-turbo" diesel & dont want the worry of a smokey turbo & the expece of replacement turbo's the 1y is a damn good choice! most 1.6/1.7 non-turbo diesels have the gearboc with the shit ratios so i personally feel you need the 16" rear wheels with the big tyres to make the gearbox more usable! i like steel rims but if you like alloys get 16's or bigger on the back with chunky fat tyres to lower the gearing!

it looks damn tidy in the picks but its a bit kncked about but i personally like that! it shows its history if ya know what i mean, it aint rusty & thats all i'm fussed about! it may over time, wear,tear,repair turn into a true t3 ratlook! not a fake made to look like!!!!! like the bay splitty crowd! :OD fckin fakers LOL

i like old stuff-to the point i carry my engine oil in a old brass lid "shell motor spirit" can! & use it! it aint for looks!

i would'nt mid a bullbar on it (in green) as i have a nursery at the end of my road & it would allow me to "make space" when i get blocked in LOL if anyone has one cheap-ish PM me or i may make one

one thing i did notice when driving in ireland was i need extra lamps for driving in fog! & extra driving lamps for country lanes at nit so if anyone has any ideas of what lamps are good?
i laugh at my own jokes cause there funny to me! i dont give a fck if you dont think they are

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 10 at 07:52
if you get a bullbar have a mooch on Ebay for some spots! theres loads of choice! and when you put the lt's on i'd clip one to the drivers mirror for the search look! could be cool! nice truck dude!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 10 at 11:21
Originally posted by T3di T3di wrote:

LOL Oh Zeb' !!! Is this still going on? Jeeez mate!!!

Afraid so.LOL

covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 10 at 20:51
try to get a limited milage policy zeb, it worked for me! mine is my daily! 10,000 is more than enough for me!

Had some relief today! i thought i had a problom with the new release bearing i fitted when i put the new clutch kit in!
thank fook! i had a look & guess what was rattling away! one of the big main 19mm bolts that hold the starter in place/the bellhousing to the engine block :OO arrrhh
for the moment i have tightend it back in but i think it may vibrate loose again, if it does i'll break out some threadlock on those threads!
fixed one of my two oil leaks too! removed my oil pressure sender, a bit of ptfe tape, screwed back on jobs a good-un!

just the crank oil seal to sort on the timing belt side of the motor & she'll be dry as a bone!
the leak is'nt even bad, it doe'nt even register an oil loss on the dipstick! it only drips a single drop the size of a 10p piece on the ground when its been on a long drive when the oil gets hot 'n' thin!
i still wanna sort it though LOL :OD

i think i need to check one wheel bearing too, i think i have a squeek from the drivers side one, may be a bit dry on grease!
the brakes need a check over, i'll probobly fit new pads & freshen up the fluid!

why do i have that feeling in my bones that i should lower it a little!  want to get rid of some of the body roll when driving around town as its a bit tiresome!
This is how it looked when it arrived with the german army decals/coat of arms
if i took these pics to a graphics place/sign maker do you think they could replicate them?
the coat of arms on the front left-side of the van under the wipers has deer antlers on it if anyone has any knowledge of the army decals/coast of arms used etc etc let me know!
picky sod me! i cant leave either of my t3's alone ever! Big smile

Edited by covdubber - 18 Oct 10 at 19:47

covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 10 at 21:01
for some reason i cant get my pics to work :O( i've swapped the img codes to direct links!

Edited by covdubber - 16 Oct 10 at 21:05

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack carlton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 10 at 19:21
they dont work direct either?!

on the lowering thing, i m not lowering mine either, i was gonna smash it into the floor, but im loving the comfort. maybe get some super hd springs made up, or an ARB? do any t3,s come witha hd ARB?
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 10 at 19:50
sorted the pics :OD check out the decals! i defo want to replicate them!

covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 10 at 00:03

Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 10 at 18:36
Nice truck!

Looks better now than when first arrived......esp with merc rims!
92 syncro rhd 2.1 pop-top
90 syncro rhd aaz pick up
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack carlton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 10 at 20:55
im guessing it used to have headlight guards, be cool to replace them.
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 10 at 21:32
there are little clips over the body for some covers that go voer the windows & mirrors to stop reflections i presume! i have the covers too :O) i should put the m on for a pic!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>