The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Size Inverter to power a Kettle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Size Inverter to power a Kettle?
    Posted: 01 Dec 17 at 03:55
What  is the wattage of your kettle? If it is 2KW, then you need a 2000W power inverter which has a continuous 2000w power and 4600w peak power. If it is low powered kettle, then you don't have to that much high power inverter. Bue be careful when using kettle in car. Don't forget to use two battery clips. I have a 300w power inverter bestek for only charge my laptop, camera, cellphones, etc. For larger device, I'm also going to get a high powered power inverter. 
Mena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 03:03
First of all, what is the watt of your electric kettle? I the kettle is 1000W or higher, then you may need a power inverter with over 1000W and make sure the continuous power that you often can see in its specification is over 1000W so that it can load the kettle. But it is not safe to use such large devices in car. You can take a smaller one with like 400W or 500W, and then you can get a 500W or 600W power inverter. When charging kettle, you need to use battery clips by connecting them with the car battery. To protect your car battery from draining out, you can take a backup battery before you go out for camping. Hope this can help you. 
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 17 at 07:18
My rule of thumb is anything that produces lots of heat is probably too power hungry to be run for long on a 12V battery, so maybe look at other ways of heating water (like many previous suggestions).  

It may be cheaper to look at 12V water heaters IIRC I used to have one that was a small coil heating with a plastic handle that you dunked in the water you wanted to heat up.

Edited by gregozedobe - 26 Aug 17 at 07:18
Orance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 07:55
To be honest, I don't know which size power inverter is good for you to power a kettle. Since the experience to me about using power inverter is only charge camera battery in car when camping in the countryside. The inverter to me is 400 watt power inverter from bestek. The way for us to handle this inverter is to connect it with car cigarette lighter charger outlet. Or you can search bestekmall on Google to learn more details about it. Best regards. 
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 10 at 01:57
Thats my puppy -
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226535

sits nicely under drivers seat. true sine wave have come down in price recently so if i was to buy again i'd get a 2kw true sine wave. make sure you fuse supply to inverter from battery and don't take power from anywhere else other than battery. i use a battery monitor with it so i can see how much power is being drawn.
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 15:26
the cheap ones will tend to list peak wattage, which is what it is rated to handle for about 1 second. If it doesn't say, its probably its peak rating, good brands of inverters will be listed by their continuous rating and they would also list thier peak rating. 

It makes a big difference, for example the last one i bought was a stirling 300w , and the peak rating was 600w. All the cheap ones i have bought on ebay always ended up breaking.
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
mjstatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjstatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 15:20
I have seen loads of ebay at varying prices...Im a bit dubious about some of them but don't really know what to look for. Any tips?
mjstatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjstatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 15:19
Ok...Did you mean the cheaper 1s on ebay are the 1s that advertise the peak performance??
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 15:12
On the subject of inverters, I've been looking at the ones in Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48723

or

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48724

No idea if they're any good, but I'll end up buying something sometime soon and Maplin stuff is usually OK.

We just use a kettle on our built-in gas stove for boiling up water, but also carry a small electric kettle (0.7litre I think, from Argos) for the times when we're hooked up on a site (might as well use the 'leccy if we're paying for it lol). But we've found that we can manage very well without a hook-up apart from the times we want to use the laptop, etc - hence looking for an inverter to make ourselves fully independent. I'm sure it'll be different when we're parking the van up on a site for more than a few nights though.

Edited by a11y - 06 Oct 10 at 15:12
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 14:37
As bananabus said, a small gas stove is the best bet for efficient and fast boiling of water.

And very cheap too, this type, available in lots of brands, is about £10, is super stable and packs away in a small plastic case.  I use two of them when camping.

ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 13:54
remember that some inverters are listed with a continuous power rating, and some with a peak power rating. If you have a 2kw kettle you need to make sure you have a 2kw continuous rated inverter.

The big trouble with getting a big inverter (other than the size) is that they they are quite in efficient if you are using an appliance with a low current, like charging a phone, so it would drain your battery faster than if you used say a 300w inverter for the same job.

It also pays to get a good brand of inverter, normally its the ones that advertise the continuous power rating rather than the peak power rating that the cheap ones on ebay show.

Most appliances are now "artificial" sine wave compatible, so unless you have a special coffee machine like Blackvanman you wont need to spend a load extra on a pure sine wave inverter.
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 07:50
You can buy low voltage kettles for £20 & wire your new inverter direct to the battery, some of them start beeping because of the voltage drop if picking up power from out of the loom Thumbs Up
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 06:38
I use an inverter, 3kw, but its too big for the job really, i was just greedy for power! it boils my kettle, runs the microwave, charges drill batts. Get a true sine wave version as some electrical equipment does not like modified sine wave like our new coffee machine, it refuses to make coffee with those sine waves!
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
swiss View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 01:16
Originally posted by mjstatic mjstatic wrote:

Anyone know what size inverter I should get to power a kettle in my T5? I've got a leisure battery with a split charge relay......Any ideas/links would be great....

Biggest one you can afford i guess
Cant think of anything that will use more power
Vansales.com
http://www.vansales.com
http://www.swissvantek.com T5 Accessories
http://www.brokerweb.com
Trade/ CCL only finance website

01656 674620
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 00:27
Much better and quicker with a gAs hob and kettle
But if you must
Have a looky here
Looking at about 10 mins to boil 2 cups of water

Edited by BANANABUS - 06 Oct 10 at 00:36
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

mjstatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjstatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 00:10
That makes sense ;-).......

Anyone seen or know anything about these http://www.whispaire.co.uk/tea-mate-wb.html
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 00:05
If its a 2KW kettle then a 2KW inverter I would imagine

If its a 3KW then.... well you get the idea

It would be advisable to allow a little "headroom" if possible, ie 2KW kettle/2.2KW or 2.5KW Inverter

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
mjstatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjstatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 10 at 23:39
Anyone know what size inverter I should get to power a kettle in my T5? I've got a leisure battery with a split charge relay......Any ideas/links would be great....
 Post Reply Post Reply