The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Over-revving when changing gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Over-revving when changing gear
    Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 22:14
Hi all, wonder if anyone could help. We've had our T5 130 LWB (late 2004) for 6 months now and I'm starting to understand the frustrations of so many on the forum. I love the van to bits when all is well, but that ain't alot of the time. At present, something else strange (separate to a nagging feeling of a weaker than it should be turbo associated with a flutter pre 2000 revs) has started to happen, that is when I accelerate moderately hard (or if the van is heavily loaded and engine is working harder than normal) when i change up gear in the normal way, the revs do not drop as you'd expect but continue to rise slightly, as if I didn't fully take my foot of the accelerator. I'm worried that this might be linked to a deterioating clutch, however I haven't noticed any slippage under acceleration.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I've also thought that this could perhaps be linked to a potentially failing turbo?

Other background is that the van was recently serviced and had a turbo pressure pipe replaced. The van ran lilke new for the follwing 700 miles but after a long motorway run it seemed as if the post service tightness and oomph of the engine has gone. There is non of the pre service air leakage sound from the turbo, but still a flutter/tinkloing around 1800rpm. Other stats include a newly discovered judder when setting off in first with low revs when the engine is cold.

Cheers again

Kitawagon.
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 02:09
If it is holding revs, try cleaning the MAF sensor in the air filter box.
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 08:22
As you mentioned it is possible that the turbo is causing the problem by leaking oil into the intake under hard acceleration.  The engine then runs on this oil.  You ought to get it checked soon because if it gets worse it could lead to the engine being wrecked as it 'runs away' uncontrollably.  Do you see any smoke when accelerating?   
2004 2.5 174
fantasam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fantasam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 09:06
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

As you mentioned it is possible that the turbo is causing the problem by leaking oil into the intake under hard acceleration.  The engine then runs on this oil.  You ought to get it checked soon because if it gets worse it could lead to the engine being wrecked as it 'runs away' uncontrollably.  Do you see any smoke when accelerating?   

Hmmm..., not sure this is a feasible explanation for the symptoms described. Once the engine starts to run on its own oil, the process is likely to be irreversible, ie the oil will continue to feed the combustion process and the engine speed will continue to increase rapidly until the engine suffers catastrophic mechnical failure.

Also, there will generally be evidence of oil in the intake system because the crankcase vents into it. 
Man of few words, many farts
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 14:03
I agree that's the way it normally goes but if a tiny amount of oil mist is being sucked in I reckon it's possible.  Kitawagon did say the new turbo hose fixed it for a while, it could be that this had the effect of lessening the level of oil contamination of the intake (if it is contaminated).   I think it would be a good idea to get it checked just in case.  (bearing in mine the horrendoes cost of an engine.)

Kita- a thin film of oil coating the inside of the hoses is normal, puddles are not.  Otherwise you need to get a diagnostic check.  Look out for Throttle pedal position sensor faults and coolant temp sensor faults. 
2004 2.5 174
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 14:26
Hi all, thanks for the replies. You know my gut feeling says the turbo is starting to play up, but I love the idea of simply cleaning the MAF sensor and all being sorted. Take it this is something pretty simple to do?

ANyhow, this morning when started from cold and I began my drive away (always carefully) a very subtle but new air rushing noise can be heard (guessing from turbo but could be anything). I guess its the turbo 'deciding' whether to fully kick in, but doesn't seem right. Once engine is warmed this is no more. Driving the van normally this morning the revs being held did not reoccur, but applying slightly more effort will surely cause it to repeat. Worried. I really need someone who knows what they are doing to honestly have a look at it. I'm concerned that if I take it to a VW dealer then they will simply quote for a v. expensive new turbo, when frankly it could be anything. I need someone/ an indy garage/ ore trustworthy dealer who really knows their stuff and will give me geniune advice rather than perhaps stating whatever they wish as I fear a main dealer would. Ermm We're based just south of Sheffield and close to Cehsterfield also.  Any recommended places?

Oh yes, no I've not noticed any smoke under acceleration. Before the last serive there was certainly alot of black smoke/soot being coughed out under acceleration, but since the turbo pipe was replaced this is no longer evident. Other thoughts, are that there may be a very minor amount of coolant loss, however, this could have been due to the service guys refilling to only just above the level that causes the sensor to say low level on thje dash. I've topped this up but have an inkling it may come on again after a few weeks.

Something else I curious about is what sort of power speed etc. that is to be expected from this pre DPF 2.5 130 engine. It has the standard 16in steel wheels and tyres. Now on the motorway I seem to have transporters with the smaller engine (just the red i in Tdi) thrashing it passed me. Now I'm not up for ragging my van around, but having seen youtube footage of T5's with the 130 engine toppping out at close to 120mph (on speedo), this is something I could only dream of ever managing. Not that I'd want to, but we seem to struggle to maintain 85mph. This is not a speed I'm keen to do often but it serves as an illustration as to what our van seems able to do. Can anyone perhaps indicate what they'd expect a regular serviced and problem free 2.5 130 to be able to manage without too many dramas. This will hopefully let me know whether ours really is struggling for power..

Cheers again  everyone...

Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 14:36
Just to clarify the speed again. If I were to push the speed we could get it to 92mph (in Germany of course) as measure by the TomTom. But this feels like the living end! I would have thought these vans would cruise at 85mph if you wanted?
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 14:45
My van had the problem of being very slow and over revving as you have described. I did 2 things, one was clean the MAF sensor, a real easy job to do, just get some carb cleaner onto the sensor, clean it all up and then leave the battery disconnected over night to clear the fault (you can do it with VAG-com if you have it). This certainly helped with the over revving and the speed. However, I also had a cracked turbo casing and I can't remember if this was a long time after or not. Go with the cheap option first!
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
Martin 335d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 14:56
There is something clearly up, I'm not a fan of cleaning MAFs out, I prefer to replace them, but I would certainly be starting there first

FWIW my 130 will cruise at 90 with a loaded car trailer on so struggling to maintain 85 Certainly points to something being very wrong
T28 130 SWB Trendline, in green.
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 15:15
Right, perhaps I'm looking at a dirty MAF as well as a tottering turbo. Or perhaps the MAF could also effect the turbo performance? One thing for sure is that my power is down. Guess that'd good and bad news! I'm off to see if I can find the MAF...
fantasam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fantasam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 15:25
Originally posted by Kitawagon Kitawagon wrote:

Something else I curious about is what sort of power speed etc. that is to be expected from this pre DPF 2.5 130 engine. It has the standard 16in steel wheels and tyres.

It sounds as though your van is a similar spec to mine as far as engine and wheels are concerned and I can easily (and often do 'cos I live near Germany and visit there fairly often) cruise at 100. It also has no problem keeping up with the average family saloon when pulling away from traffic lights or building up speed to join a motorway, etc. 

How many miles has the van done and why did the coolant needed to be topped up when the turbo pipe was replaced? There shouldn't have been any need to touch the coolant circuit to work on the turbo pipework.

fantasam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fantasam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 15:30
Originally posted by Kitawagon Kitawagon wrote:

I'm off to see if I can find the MAF...
There's one available on fleabay....., should give you an idea of what you're looking for.

Edited by fantasam - 18 Sep 10 at 15:31
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 18:31
If you can hear a hissing noise (as distinct from a whistle or whine) as you rev it sounds like it could be a leak (again) on the turbo pipework. It takes the charged (compessed) air from the turbo to the inlet manifold via the intercooler.  An air leak there would certainly ruin the performance. The dealer has a tool to pressurise the pipework and the intercooler to check for leaks but simply looking at wiggling the pipes while the engine is running might be enough to show up a leak. 

My van would easily cruise at 90 or 100mph if I wanted to.  And yours should be the same. 

Edited by T5 TDI - 18 Sep 10 at 18:33
2004 2.5 174
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 23:06
Hi all again. Sorry for late reply, only I had to walk home!Ouch All will be explained....

To answer your replies:

Fantasam. The van has just done 62,000 since late 2004. We also had a new water pump fitted (as we told there was a leak) so the coolant was flushed/refilled etc. You know the van felt great straight after the service and had the kind of oomph you'd expect (and you have), but this so rapidly went unfortunately. It was clear before the service that the turbo setup was leaking pressure in a big way (presumably from the pipe as we were told) due to the very loud hissing. However, the noises coming now are still the faint flutter just prior to 2000rpm at all times of use and the faint perhaps air leakage/stop starting sounds I described only with a cold engine. With reagrds to the MAF (many thanks for the link Smile), I found it, removed it and had a good look, all the plastics and housing seemed super clean to me but it is not really possible to see the metal. I was on my way to the garage to buy some carb cleaner/rubbing alcohol to do a clean when..........BOOM CRUNCH CRUCH GRIND ARGRHHHCry!

To T5TDI, if I propped up the bonnet and revved the engine, would the turbo kick in? Or does the turbo kick in under load (i.e. in gear and driving). If so then I think that's what I should have done and wiggled the pipes as you rightly suggested to see if any leak. Unfortunately I am unsure as to where the turbo/intercooler and pipework is Geek!

Anyhow all this is a little imaterial as whilst I headed to the garage and attempted to pull out from a side road on to a busy A road, boom and crunch, suddenly no driving force and instead a horrible crunching and grinding no matter what gear I chose. So a big problem, there's me covering both lanes, stuck. Jump out fortunately get both flows of traffic to stop without incident, someone manages to help push me back onto the side road and both a sigh of relief and swearing can begin! Censored Two hours later my dad has come to the rescue and helped two the fallen chariot back to the drive. Desparate! Now surely this is a total coincidence? My other half is not convinced I haven't managed to reck our pride and joy by fiddliong with the MAF! HAh, you have to laugh, but really what a terrible coincidence I explained Pinch. Nope she's not best pleaed.

So what could this latest more catastophic problem be? Clutch, Flywheel, Gearbox, driveshaft???? Who knows! The grinding seems to be coming from the front left mostly, but I'm not seeing sny drive from either wheel. Engine ignition and revving out of gear seems normal. Ivf engine of and placed in 5th gear, the van can be rolled backwards, no resistance, but the front left wheel does seem to click or hit a lsight notch every quarter turn....?? I did mention a new judder when the engine was cold and pulling away in 1st gear over the last couple of weeks, could this be related? Is it possible that the drive shaft (if thats the right term) to one of the front wheels has gone or does this sound more like a catastrophic gearbox or clutch failure?Cry

Sorry to drift this lack of power issue in to a total T5 meltdown! Hopefully this story will end happily, but as it stands I'm now not just keen to find a really decent VW mechanic near to Sheffield, but am in dire need!

Anyone with any further pointers on all this, your advice is really really appreciated. I'll endeavour to keep you posted on any developments and diagnostics etc. when I get it to a garage..

Cheers

Kitawagon..

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 23:15
So, to clarify, does your van (with the engine running obviously) make bad/grinding noises: 

Only when its in gear and you release the clutch

or

All the time (doesnt have to be in gear)?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 23:20
Hi, the grinding noises only come when in gear with the engine running and foot off the clutch..
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 23:31
Its a driveshaft - well known fault

I`ve had one myself here

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 23:51
Right, bugger, thought as much, rubbish...Thumbs Down Thanks for your quick input! At least something like this can be fixed, albeit at a high cost no doubt, however, when I get it back it'll still be lame in the power turbo stakes. Pants. Perhaps it's possible to get the turbo system pressure tested also when in the shop and all can end on a much lighter note (wallet included).

Kitawagon out......for now Disapprove

Final thought....for all those with problematic T5's would you buy another? I'm starting to feel like never again and that is really gutting as I love it to bits (literally) in many ways, but really such unreliability as covered in this forum is just mind boggling. Totally unacceptable and shocking. Shame. I can only imagine what it must be like to spend towards 40,000 on a California for example and then to have such troubles!
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 10 at 23:58
Hi the other guys have got the driveshaft fault spot on sounds like the lightly cause of your latest complaint in respect of your revs sticking on changing gear have you tried the clutch pedal switch,the switch also controls the vaccum to the shut off flap and turbo so when you press the clutch it slows the revs when changing gear to save the clutch most people never notice if the switch is working or not as the only sign if you dont have cruise control is sticking/raising revs if you have cruise it obviously stops the cruise working.It is easy to check has only 2 wires try running with it unplugged and also with the plug off and a piece of wire bridging the switch if it cures your fault a few quid and all smiles again hope it helps.
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 10 at 00:08
VW master-tech. Thanks for your thoughts, however, would this cause rev peaking at all times or just when the engine is having to accelerate hard?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>