The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short or long nose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little.legs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short or long nose
    Posted: 02 Sep 10 at 15:40
Smile Daft question - but how do you tell if your t4 is a short or long nose version? I'm looking to get some clear indicators and dont know which to go for - the vans a 52 plate 2.5tdi LWB.
Cheers
Jamie
where's mi t'hammer
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 10 at 16:01
You need short nose.

Long nose vans were from 2003 and had clear indicators as standard.They have different front end panels...bonnet,wings,front panel etc.  The same as late Caravelles.

Click.

Edited by Steve B - 02 Sep 10 at 16:05
little.legs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little.legs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 21:07
HandshakeCheers Steve,
Mine left the factory as a window van. Would that still be a short nose? Baxters and JK both show short and long nose listed for those years which is confusing. It does have the orange lenses so I'm guessing yes from your post.
Best look at ordering some then.
Cheers
Jamie

Edited by little.legs - 03 Sep 10 at 21:26
where's mi t'hammer
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 21:47
Was the long nose like a face lift model then?

Mines a 2001 and a long nose.
Often wondered why later van were short nose?

Edited by windysurfer - 03 Sep 10 at 21:47

OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

i had a 174 T5 you know..or was it a T4?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 10 at 22:49
Long nose, simpels  my old and well loved Xpack
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can
jets View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 10 at 01:55
Long nose was developed around 1996 to house the V6 that was introduced at the time. Both models were produced after that time. Not sure when short nose was discontiued or if it ran to the end of production. The latest factory sales brochure I have is dated Aug 2002 & still shows the short nose for the Transporter.
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 10 at 08:05
Yes as above, However in 1996 In Europe the Transporter vans were blessed with the long nose in TDis wereas we in the UK never saw the long nose in vans (Only in Caravelles) untill the very last 12 weeks of production, I beleve that VW had a stock of ^Kombis^ which were to be supplied only to the registered converters such as Riemo Bilbo Versa and a few others, I tried very hard in 2001 to buy a Kombi for myself as a long nose van and found it impossible, However in  January 2003 The T5 was due to be launched and because it was late VW Launched a very limited Longnose van Known as the "X" Pack (see picture above) to fill the gap untill the T5 came. -- As VW were to launch their own camper th Californian the suppy of T4 Lomgnose Kombis were withdrawn from sale to the converters So we got them as X Packs.  ( My views I know but it is about right)

Due to the fact I could not get a Kombi I waited for the T5 and bought a 174ps Kombi and it was a BIG mistake it was crap -- went back to the Xpack above and now have a v6 Multivan and prefer it to the T5.

Edited by OOO 2 LOW - 04 Sep 10 at 08:18
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little.legs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 10 at 22:18
Now i'm even more confused.
where's mi t'hammer
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 10 at 23:09
Originally posted by little.legs little.legs wrote:

Why????

If yours doesn't look like the pics above it's not a long nose.

Simple really!!!
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 08:52

Confused -- OK You state " I am looking to change my idicators to clear ones" That must mean you have amber ones.
Amber lens =  short nose.    go and have a look in fact Go compare Simples!!!
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 08:59
Silly me you also say LWB ! -----   that's even easier all LWB vans are short nose. if you ever see a long nose van in LWB then it is a left hooker or been converted
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 10 at 18:17
Originally posted by OOO 2 LOW OOO 2 LOW wrote:

Yes as above, However in 1996 In Europe the Transporter vans were blessed with the long nose in TDis wereas we in the UK never saw the long nose in vans (Only in Caravelles) untill the very last 12 weeks of production, I beleve that VW had a stock of ^Kombis^ which were to be supplied only to the registered converters such as Riemo Bilbo Versa and a few others, I tried very hard in 2001 to buy a Kombi for myself as a long nose van and found it impossible, However in  January 2003 The T5 was due to be launched and because it was late VW Launched a very limited Longnose van Known as the "X" Pack (see picture above) to fill the gap untill the T5 came. -- As VW were to launch their own camper th Californian the suppy of T4 Lomgnose Kombis were withdrawn from sale to the converters So we got them as X Packs.  ( My views I know but it is about right)

Due to the fact I could not get a Kombi I waited for the T5 and bought a 174ps Kombi and it was a BIG mistake it was crap -- went back to the Xpack above and now have a v6 Multivan and prefer it to the T5.

cheers for the explanation Thumbs Up

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little.legs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 22:24
Ah that makes it clearer. Cheers all...)
where's mi t'hammer
JB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 10 at 20:41
Longnose - frowny headlights.. Like boy racers do..
If it ain't broke - fix it till it is..
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 10 at 17:43

YOU'RE confused....you should try living in Norway!!!

We have Caravelles from 96 to 2001 in long AND short nose...Transporters from 98 with both up to 2003, and if it was imported to be converted....it could be either in the years between about 96 and 2005!!!! (Some were imported 2-3 years before actual registration due to the conversions done...yeah....Norway works slowly...)....and in both swb and lwb!!!!

Just for a laugh....went to VW garage to get my tracking "checked" (needed official papers for the "mot"...cost me almost 400 quid for that and the brake valve adjuster setting! ).
While I was waiting...looked at a nice T5 Multivan.

IF you register it as 2 seats...it costs £13,000 on top of the price....if you register it with 4 or more seats...it's a mere £41,000!!!!....and yeah...ON TOP OF THE COST PRICE!!!!!!

Now I know why I paid £23,000 for a 10 year old T4 (OK...only had 37,000 kilometres on it) 4 years ago!

Edited by Or_GazM - 15 Sep 10 at 17:45
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 22:11
Here in Portugal, all T4 before 2000 were short nose, and all after were long nose. I had a 2000 1.9td long nose before this. Bet you all were DYING to know that LOL
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 02:37

how much longer is the long nose than short...??

i know my lwb short nose just sneeks in for the 5m  length for the ferry.. if it were a long nose (presume they are a good bit longer??) then i would not have made the 5m length.  and the price starts to rise ..
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
 Post Reply Post Reply