The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You got Fridge problems????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 12 at 22:56
A findus crispy one?
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 12 at 23:30
whatever happened to Horns?

I liked him.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 11:01
Defrost switch is a trace heater in the gas tank line to stop the prone icing in winter.
My van is better known in these parts than I am
Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 16:56
I never would have dreamed of such an idea. Is that something to do with a strange sort of block that sits just beyond the gas regulator under the Gas Flap?  It's sort of square & silver, clips on the pipe and has a cable mysteriously disappearing into the van!.....  I guess the answer is yes!..... I did wonder about that little box......

Thank you again........ Mark 
Mark..Amsterdam
xriss55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xriss55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 21:57
DIMOND HELL a....legend and had dished out loads of good advice over the years
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 22:03
and built a dodgy scoobyvelleWink.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 22:13
Whatever happened to Dimond Hell?

I liked him.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 20:27
Rejoice and turneth thy fridge...

Evening all,

Just returned from holiday and glad to report that the trick is to turn the fridge upside down (assuming all your elements are OK and the gas jet is clean). I get a temperature delta of 23 degrees in the fridge compared to inside of van after about 10 hours. Within an hour I can get a drop of 10 degrees. Much much better than before. The 23 degrees is also stable as I also tested with the van closed up and with the inside at 33 degrees the fridge gives me 10 degrees. On holiday on the colder nights I was almost getting close to  zero. I also get about 20-23 on 220v hook-up but on gas it gets hot much quicker. On 12v I am not getting 23 degrees drop. I would say about 15 degrees.

I also installed a computer fan to replace the Westy one. I looked at getting a low db fan that I could manually override on colder nights to give a little bit of heat. The low db fans generally tend to run at or below 1000rpm. The trade off is that the amount of air flow is lower. I don't have a link but I settled on a Sythe fan SY12255L. It runs at 800rpm. db was something like 18db. It works brilliantly. You can not hear it. You need to put you ear to the kitchen top to know if it is working. I installed a with over the thermosensor at the top of the fridge. I canlt say anything about the airflow but I can't imagine it is any worse than the old Westy one.

When I was testing before we went on holiday I also noticed that the corrugated stainless flue running at the back of the fridge was pushing out a lot of heat which then circulates up into the van. I measured the temperature with a digital meat probe and it was 80degrees. So I bought some exhaust heat wrap to wrap the exposed part of the flue. I took it on holiday meaning to fit it there but our nights were quite cold and I was happy to get the heat with the fan on constantly. Because the van was open and ventilated and at outside temperature I didn't have the need to wrap the pipe. But it would definitely help when you park up on day trips and the van is closed up.

Some pics.

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 20:31
the ebay.co.uk number for the heat wrap is

Stuart

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
griffer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 14 at 20:29
hi I need a rm184 egi reignighter, they seem to be £65 on ebay, anyone got a source of these? off to france next week im in a bit of a panic
Stefvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 15 at 22:36
Just thought I'd add my tuppence to the thread.

Messed around with the gas side of the fridge for weeks, got the fridge out and plumbed up to the barbecue take-off on the underfloor tank/regulator so I could see what is going on (Bear in mind, on 240V the fridge made ice & frost overnight all over the cooling fins inside, so I knew it *should* work).

There was a flame going on, which was quite small, but I could feel on the coolant pipe that nothing was warming up and the ammonia wasn't flowing. 

I took out the burner jet and tried cleaning it by threading it on and spinning it on a copper speaker wire. Still the same. 

Changed the (rock hard) filter in the feed pipe. Same. Finally got a new burner jet  from Gunzl, looking by eye at the two jets I could see that the new one was bigger. Fitted it, boom.  From 15 to -3 and frosty fins within an hour.

Now just got to figure out why the igniter clicks at double speed, and more importantly, doesn't want to turn off.  Am I right in saying the thermocouple is a separate deal right, turns off the gas? 

That its either the sparker  (which makes sparks and fires the gas up ok) or the igniter unit ? The running on gas light stays alight... and the flame stays alight 

PS thanks Joker_Club for starting this "pointless" thread !

Stefvan

Edited by mrhutch - 26 Sep 15 at 00:46
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 15 at 00:50
Edited post due to unreadability..  use of carridge returns and basic punctuation makes the post easier to read...  

but more so I can quote RTC's possibly best ever post :

Originally posted by rogerthecat rogerthecat wrote:

Go to the bank, withdraw some cash, go get yourself a blow job - it may relax you a bit. Big smile

Edited by mrhutch - 26 Sep 15 at 00:55
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
brurud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brurud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 17 at 12:09
Can anyone tell me. I have 83mod and it only have one element. Says 110v/12v. Is IT newer model That have separate from 110/12?

I GOT a new one as the car is Canadian and I live in Norway. I wanna change it for a 230v so I can use shore power from Norway. The new element is 230v/10v it has four wires coming out of it, two and two are together in a "sock" there's no markings except the one pair has red lines. Where to put what?
GTIGaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTIGaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 17 at 15:09
Originally posted by Stefvan Stefvan wrote:

Just thought I'd add my tuppence to the thread.

Messed around with the gas side of the fridge for weeks, got the fridge out and plumbed up to the barbecue take-off on the underfloor tank/regulator so I could see what is going on (Bear in mind, on 240V the fridge made ice & frost overnight all over the cooling fins inside, so I knew it *should* work).

There was a flame going on, which was quite small, but I could feel on the coolant pipe that nothing was warming up and the ammonia wasn't flowing. 

I took out the burner jet and tried cleaning it by threading it on and spinning it on a copper speaker wire. Still the same. 

Changed the (rock hard) filter in the feed pipe. Same. Finally got a new burner jet  from Gunzl, looking by eye at the two jets I could see that the new one was bigger. Fitted it, boom.  From 15 to -3 and frosty fins within an hour.

Now just got to figure out why the igniter clicks at double speed, and more importantly, doesn't want to turn off.  Am I right in saying the thermocouple is a separate deal right, turns off the gas? 

That its either the sparker  (which makes sparks and fires the gas up ok) or the igniter unit ? The running on gas light stays alight... and the flame stays alight 

PS thanks Joker_Club for starting this "pointless" thread !

Stefvan

I know this is a bit of a while ago but did you get this sorted Stefvan? I have 100% the same symptoms. Need to get me a new jet by the sounds of things.
GTIGaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTIGaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 17 at 09:51
Hi all,

New jet from Brickwerks fitted before I went away for the weekend. Had the fridge running at around 5 deg's even in the hot weather over the weekend (the fan works now too!), she's spot on now. The igniter has also not missed a beat so I guess that was because the flame was weak.
si macc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote si macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 18 at 09:00
Hi everyone, seems to be the place for asking any fridge related questions! All the info has been really useful so far. I've taken my fridge out for servicing and replacing the 240v element. Finally managed to get the gas jet off but have broken the olive in the process. Can only find 4mm olives in copper. Is it ok to use copper and more importantly is it a 4mm pipe? Looks it but want to make sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234