The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smart car Intercooler for TDI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smart car Intercooler for TDI?
    Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 13:52
Is this too small for the 1.9 TDI ? It's a Smart car Intercooler, i like the idea of the compact setup, plus its designed to fit in the tight rear end of a smart car and is fan assisted.

Opinions?

More time spent under it than in it....
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 14:14

Looks perfect.

Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 14:49
I've heard of this intercooler type being used before, I'll see if I can find the article.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 14:51
Been watching one of those on ebay for weeks now. Buy it now £75. Couldn't make my mind up!Smile
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Stephen Greece View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 14:53
Wow, wasn't expecting it to be such a good mach, so from what i understand it is big enough? Yeeey!! 
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:05
How are you gonna mount it then? Is it going to fit inside the snorkel box or pinned against it from the engine bay? I've used a golf tdi one(from a 1z engined car), cut a hole in the boot corner, faced it down and stuck a fan on top. Then boxed it in. 
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:16
The fit that I have seen involved sticking it in the left hand rear corner, which meant removing the standard airbox and fitting a Skoda Fabia Airbox.
Fitting the Skoda airbox means you have to move the battery forward under the seats.
Then various pipes from a Polo 1.4 TDI were used to plumb in the LLK.

Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:17
I was thinking more like sticking it in the right hand corner up against the side (cutting a hole in the side with some sort of a scoupthingy) but if i could retain the factory look, i would. So not so sure yet. Going to go and check out my 1z golf donor car on saturday for the time being.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:25
Remember you need to keep the pipework short.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:31
After more reading.
It appears that the intake and outlet are smaller than the JX Turbo intake, so you're not going to get the optimal airflow.
Don't forget that this intercooler was for a 700cc motor.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:39
So it is small then..Unhappy pipework short,hmm... why does the battery have to move to the front? Its on the right hand side?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:44
Originally posted by Stephen Greece Stephen Greece wrote:

So it is small then..Unhappy pipework short,hmm... why does the battery have to move to the front? Its on the right hand side?

The new airbox is installed in its place.

TBH you'd be better off looking a fitting an intercooler from a Golf, they're a little more expensive but would cope with the flow requirements.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:49
I used an induction cone filter in right hand corner feeding a silicone hose along the back of engine bay. Some people like to use a selection of oem parts especially if selling their conversion on to customers so that there's a proper part number for everything and it has a factory look. Keeps it all neat and tidy. I don't reckon intercooler pipes to rh corner would be too long. Most golfs, passats etc.. have intercooler pipework runing round the engine bay. The thought is that if your pipe works too long you get turbo lag.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 15:50
if you're looking at a donor car, then get the intercooler from that.Smile
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 16:28
You are right, If the golf one clears ok, it does sound like the most appropriate. Currently i am beeing put off with the conversion reading the clutch thread....
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 17:27
Aah. I don't think it's too tricky. There are sources for modified clutches. Futbus will skim and balance for you. An AAZ conversion is deemed to be the easier and cheaper route to go though. Or, spend some money on the JX and intercool that?
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 10 at 07:24
Originally posted by timmythedog timmythedog wrote:

How are you gonna mount it then? Is it going to fit inside the snorkel box or pinned against it from the engine bay? I've used a golf tdi one(from a 1z engined car), cut a hole in the boot corner, faced it down and stuck a fan on top. Then boxed it in. 

Have you got any pics of your install?
I am going do this road this winter and you sound like you've had success here.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 10 at 08:42
Firstly I should say i'm a bit of a bodger who does it all in a hurry cos I can't wait to see the results, so a lot of thoughtful tidying up could be done here!Embarrassed

I have kicked out the air vent by a couple of inches to (hopefully) increase airflow.

Induction cone filter mounted a on a simple bracket behind the battery and connected to original turbo inlet pipes via  a length of silicone hose, as per photo below.

Both boot corners are sealed off(90%) with some old thermal window panels which are glued into place. It would be better to velcro these for easy removal. Hence, i cannot show a top shot of the intercooler cos i don't want to peel the panel open!

Pipe work was all scavanged bits of Jx and tdi golf which are bodged together with sealants, internal collars(from the golf) and jubilee clips. Lower hose comes away from turbo with JX turbo pipe then feeds between the engine cradle and chassis and up through a hole in wheel arch to intercooler. This needs tidying up and sealing off properly but is largely protected by mudguard. Intercooler to inlet manifold is 2 hoes bonded, with a small section of silicone too. I have a got a modified JX inlet that has the inlet moved to the top plate and this would be better but it's fine as is.

Last one. View from underneath of outlet face of intercooler shrouded in some aluminium box section that I came by! Intercooler is a 1Z. I have bonded a 7inch(i think) electric fan on top of it which runs permanently.
Does it work well? I don't know. I could easily bypass it to compare old and new, but it certainly feels a lot quicker. I have nudged the fuelling up about an eigth turn.  The van will accellerate willingly up hills in fourth gear. It pulls strongly, and revs out to 4000 with no fuss, but pulls like a train between 2000 and 3200rpm. the whole set up cost me about £150 so i can't complain. It does require the butchering off a bit of panel work though and as mine happened to be pretty crispy anyway it wasn't too painful.Smile
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 10 at 10:14
Seems a lot of hacking and messing when you can just get a chargecooler from ebay with pump and tank for maybe £150>  , also the subaru legacy (water cooled cooler) one looks a good option.
I ran a chargecooler from an RS turbo, no dicking about, fitted in a day, short pipe runs, just a bit of pissing about with silicone hoses (realised the hard way you shouldn't skimp there).

Ford focus kits including all the gubbins look viable as do these V shaped generic ones for about a 100 quid on ebay.

Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 10 at 12:07
I was going to buy that Oettinger one off jed the Spread and was an hour late.  I will have a look at the chargecooler option next time round, but didn't realise a viable kit could be bought for that sort of money. Did you get a radiator as well from the RS?
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>