The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 1995 Imobiliser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 1995 Imobiliser
    Posted: 22 Aug 10 at 20:07

Hi all - I hope someone can help reset my Immobiliser.

I have a 1995 T4 2.5L petrol automatic Caravelle.

A couple of weeks ago the engine stalled and would not restart. I found that the main earth strap connection to the body had broken so I replaced it.  From then the engine will start but cuts out after a couiple of seconds.

Ive tried to reset it by leaving the battery disconnected for a day and connecting the leads together. By leaving the ignition switched on for 20 minutes, switching on and then restarting.  By trying both normal key and spare.  Nothing!

A few years ago the ingnition pack failed and after replacing the immobiliser was locked. In the end the local garage gave up and the van was taken to the nearest (20 miles) van center to be reset.

Can any one tell me how to either reset the imobiliser or disconnect it?

benappleby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benappleby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 10 at 16:49
I have had this problem and it was the sensor/reader in the steering column that recognises the chip in the key. An auto electrician replaced the sensor and the problem was solved.

Essentially your immobiliser is doing its job correctly, cutting the engine because no confirmation that they key is recognised.

T4 Syncro Westfalia
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 19:16
had the same problem but intermittent i just cleaned the reader {the black ring around the ignition} was fine after that  worth a try
crusader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 10 at 21:17
Thanks for the hints, I've already had a good fiddle around the wiring around the ignition switch and steering column  cheking no loose plus or obvious faults, with no result.

Does any one know where the other end of the sensors cable goes? Can the immobiliser be immobilised?
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 10 at 18:58
Have a troll through recent posts....not long ago I remember some guy saying he had his "cancelled" from the ECU by a "dodgy, but good" auto-electrician.
Can't remember who or when, but it withing the last few weeks!
bigrigbalsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrigbalsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 10 at 14:19

HI,

I am having the same problem with my LT35, the transponder ariel it was loosely connected and now re connected it runs for a second and cuts out, ive researched a bit and apparantly once shorted or disconected the immobiliser needs re setting by a vag technichan or software!
I am very interested in bypassing the immobiliser altogether BUT NO LUCK YET!
Let me know if you have any progress as i will likewise
crusader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 14:35
I managed to reset the imobilizer myself.  from the internat I got a OBD plug and adaptor for the old 2x2 plug.  I installed the shareware version of VAG that cam on  a disc.  this gave me some error codes for the imob (channel 25) and the engine - basically blocked by imobolizer.  but the shareware is blocked from doing anything else.
So again on the web looked for very old version and there was was something called vwtool which seemed to be the precursor to VAG-com.

Using this and doing the following:

[Select]
[25 Immobilizer]
[Adaptation - 10]
Leave channel at "00"
[Read]
[Save]

But my troubles continue - see my post on VW audi forum:

I am hoping for help and that I have not done something unspeakbble to the ECU.
O===vw===O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O===vw===O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 10 at 20:26

iv had immobiliser probs - turned out to be a weak signal from the chip in key-starts fine if i hold the second key up to the ignition ring ! my post at  t3 tech help - polo sdi fires wont run

life moves pretty fast,if you dont park the T4 and take a look around once in a while,you could miss it!

03 2.5tdi 88 with decat, egr blank, big injectors, stan intercooler, remap apparently 130bhp
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 10 at 20:46
Use the spare key.
Chips in them often fail if old or dropped too many times.
Hannover View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hannover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 03:27
Do all T4s have immobilisers fitted as standard or it just certain models eg. Caravelles?
1997 T4 LWB HIGH-TOP CAMPER

2.5 TDI GEM/AZTEC CONVERSION
listensqueak View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote listensqueak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 10 at 09:41
All do I think. Removed mine from my standard 01 1.9td panel van.
Chas.
matty34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 10 at 17:56
i also have this prob ive a basic key has it a imobaliser in it? its n reg 1995 ?
steve padda View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve padda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 10 at 21:29
Originally posted by listensqueak listensqueak wrote:

All do I think. Removed mine from my standard 01 1.9td panel van.
Same here  01 1.9td
Big smile
matty34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 10 at 16:27
had the aa out both keys wouldnt work hes saying the ecu any one elese?
Rod_VW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod_VW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 10 at 14:50
Try posting your problem on here http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=24.0

Note the posting etiquette or your post will be locked!!

Rod,

vwbooks

2013 LWB T32 T5GP 180ps High Roof Self Build
Previously
2011 LWB T5GP
2007 LWB T5
2002 LWB T4
1999 LWB T4
1980 T3
gavster01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavster01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 10 at 21:31
In reply to Or_GazM
That would have been me then!
The post was "Bypassing Immoboliser" by DANGEROUSDOG and I suggested he take the ECU to a chap called Chris at Total Tuning in Pontypridd, South Wales. (07722288844) And yes Gary, he was well dodgy!!
For eighty of your hard earned british pounds he will de-immobilise the ECU thus enabling you to start your bus with a chipless key. It worked for my recent engine swap and I was well chuffed.
Cheshire is three and a half hours tops from Pontypridd so the choice is yours my friend. Big smile

Edited by gavster01 - 30 Oct 10 at 21:35
cocacola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cocacola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 10 at 01:06
Originally posted by Or_GazM Or_GazM wrote:

Have a troll through recent posts....not long ago I remember some guy saying he had his "cancelled" from the ECU by a "dodgy, but good" auto-electrician.
Can't remember who or when, but it withing the last few weeks!

I all, new to the forum, got a tip from another VW forum and I thought I give it a try.
Is there anyway to bypass the immo, the car is a Transporter 2.5 petrol 1995.

I paste what I wrote on the other forum, hope to get some help, cheers!

"It started to "jump" and cut while driving, and then all of a sudden it stopped, when I started it it ran for like 2 secs and then cut out.
Checked fuses and did a little research around the ignition-area but found nothing. Took it to VW, they said it had lost its programming, they programed it and the truck ran perfect.. for like one o two days.
Then it was the same thing again, to make a long story short, it has been in and out to VW like five or six times now, they have changed the immobilizer control unit (or whatever it's called?), the ring behind the ignition-lock, some relays, now they want me to change the control unit for the motor...
I've already payed a fortune to VW and it seems like they can't find the problem, they cant promise me it's the control unit for the motor either, but they said "try it".. bah!

Do you guys have any ideas? Is it possible to bypass the immo somehow? I know, it's like asking a locksmith how to break into a bank valve, but it's worh a try :-)
Starting to get really anoyed and the month goes by.. :-/
And oh, sorry for my spelling, I'm from sweden.. hope you understand me anyway... :-)

Cheers boys and girls!"
listensqueak View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote listensqueak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 10 at 08:55

Yes it is possible to bypass the immobiliser but if you trail back the wires there are three going to the miltiplug. One is a +, one is a - and not sure about the other as it goes to the immo internal pcb. The solenoid just needs to have the + connection and be earthed to operate. You may be able to do this via the multiplug (you can feel and hear it actuate) but failing that the back of the pump will need to be bashed off to gain access to the solenoid (the plastic looking part with the two shearbolts) then you can remove the gel covered pcb to gain access to the solenoid, which should have its + cable running from it already.

Chas.
 Post Reply Post Reply